2.4 equipment.. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 equipment..

Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 AM
  #1  
Airhead
Redneck Member
Thread Starter
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default 2.4 equipment..

hey folks,
after being at Seff and seeing many advantages to having a newer 2.4 radio. I am not sure which brand to go with. I've looked at a lot of adds but I would like to start with the correct one for me and stick with that brand.
you know, Spectrum....Futuba... etc..etc.. What do you guys n gals like best?

Thanks ahead of time..
Airhead is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM
  #2  
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator
 
Rabbitcreekok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: McAlester, Oklahoma
Posts: 8,816
Default

I have a DX6 and a DX7 so you know which I prefer. I am well pleased with the Spektrum equipment. Someday I might like to have the JR 9303 in 2.4, but not just yet.
Rabbitcreekok is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
  #3  
KIMBERWHIP
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 188
Default

Futaba 2.4 is nice cause you only have to bind once and the binding is wireless, no bind plugs to worry about. the 7C is easy to program also. A guy at the field last weekend had to rebind his RX and didn't have his bind plug. he didn't fly that day.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk7000.html
KIMBERWHIP is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
  #4  
constantCrash
prefectionist
 
constantCrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 1,919
Default

There is a poll on RCGroups that shows what systems people have. Spektrum still has a good 75-80% market share, with Futaba right behind it. XPS is currently in a lawsuit over false advertising (I havn't read enough yet to see if there is really a problem with the system, or just annoyed customers) and Assan / Esky / Walkera / etc are all cheap junk.

I prefer Spektrum because it's backed by Horizon who has great customer service, and it has a wider selection of receiver types.

I have 2 DX6i's (a spare for training). And love it. Flying buddy has a DX7 and it's great too (his sticks feel just a hair better than mine, but I like my programming interface better).

For $179 with a AR6200 I don't think the DX6i can be beat by anything futaba has out.
constantCrash is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
  #5  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

I like Spektrum. Between me and my son we have 2 DX6's and 2 DX7's. I have been impressed with the overall quality and feel of the radios.

I started out with a 6 a couple years ago and have not looked back.
firemanbill is offline  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
  #6  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

I like my Spektrum DX7. Knock on wood, I have had no failures related to the radio system, and it has done me very well. Oh, and it's the envy of some of my clubmates.....
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 AM
  #7  
Airhead
Redneck Member
Thread Starter
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

I appreciate all the input. I notice that the new Dx6i does not come with servos yet the old Dx6 did. Any particular servos that would be suggested? So far I have really only bought the Hitec and the brand that Jeff sells at Heads-up RC. Tower-pro I think.

During Seff I had 72 and 27 mhz radios. i was quite impressed with the fact that any flyers with 2.4 radios did not have to get a channel pager or wait for there particular channel to be cleared.
Airhead is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 AM
  #8  
Airhead
Redneck Member
Thread Starter
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Originally Posted by KIMBERWHIP View Post
Futaba 2.4 is nice cause you only have to bind once and the binding is wireless, no bind plugs to worry about. the 7C is easy to program also. A guy at the field last weekend had to rebind his RX and didn't have his bind plug. he didn't fly that day.

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk7000.html
Hi Kimberwhip,
I don't understand what binding is? would you explain? Thanks...
Airhead is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:01 AM
  #9  
firemanbill
Community Moderator
 
firemanbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sevierville, Tennessee
Posts: 20,593
Default

Bruce,

The 2.4's use a digital identification signal that is unique to each transmitter. That is how they know which one to listen too. Binding on the Spektrum brand is as simple as plugging a jumper into the rx and turning on the tx while holding the bind button. once the connection between the two is made you pull the jumper and you're in business.
firemanbill is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 AM
  #10  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
I appreciate all the input. I notice that the new Dx6i does not come with servos yet the old Dx6 did. Any particular servos that would be suggested? So far I have really only bought the Hitec and the brand that Jeff sells at Heads-up RC. Tower-pro I think.

During Seff I had 72 and 27 mhz radios. i was quite impressed with the fact that any flyers with 2.4 radios did not have to get a channel pager or wait for there particular channel to be cleared.
Bruce,

Any servo with the standard connector will work fine. I have used JR, HiTec, TowerPro, Futaba, HXT and they all work with no problems (except I needed to trim a tab, IIRC, on teh Futaba servos in my Electristar).

Actually, the DX6i could be a real good deal, without servos, since you can use whatever you want.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 AM
  #11  
celticflyer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 374
Default

$6 TowerPro from Heads up or any vendor work great for me
celticflyer is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 AM
  #12  
Mike Freas
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kaeohe Bay Hawaii
Posts: 989
Default

Before deciding on a 2.4 manufacture look at the cost of additional RX's. The high cost of the FASST RX's made me decide on the JR 9303 2.4. Some will argue that the Futaba is only 10 bucks more for the 7 ch but if you know where to buy (Todd's DX6i for 158.00) you can get then MUCH cheaper.
Mike Freas is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 03:13 PM
  #13  
yank51
I'm a free radical...
 
yank51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cochran, GA, USA
Posts: 836
Default

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
hey folks,
after being at Seff and seeing many advantages to having a newer 2.4 radio. I am not sure which brand to go with. I've looked at a lot of adds but I would like to start with the correct one for me and stick with that brand.
you know, Spectrum....Futuba... etc..etc.. What do you guys n gals like best?

Thanks ahead of time..
Bruce,
At the risk of starting a Chevy vs. Ford discussion (please don't guys...) I'll tell you that I fly with the Futaba FASST system. I JUST moved up to a 7C model over the 6EX (neither of which have given me ANY trouble, period...) I like the binding without a plug, and the programming on the system. Yes, the RXs are pricier right now, and may stay that way, but oh well... I've always used Futaba radios, even back in the 70's & 80's and never had any trouble with any of them. I still have a 6EX on 72Mhz, and that was what flew my world record holder Slow Stick @ SEFF and had 0% trouble during that event. Both manufacturers are great, and JR does have the greater market share now, but I kind of blame Futaba for that. They've made some marketing errors, and need to recover from this. Perhaps in the future. And I don't know how well they are doing in the rest of the RC world (other countries..) So, much to powerlines dismay, I still fly my trusty Futaba systems...
yank51 is offline  
Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 PM
  #14  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Spektrum gets the nod for one simple reason - the cost of receivers. Street price $40 is much better than Street price $90 for Futaba.

Airtronics is worth a look....

Excellent testing here - especially if you consider something besides Fut/Spek/JR or Airtronics....

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrumtests.shtml

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 06-01-2008, 09:11 PM
  #15  
tedmo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 45
Default 2.4

my choice always has been JR therefore naturally went with their Spektrum and not sorry. have not have a single glitch on any of my 11 aircraft that have the system in them. Binding is no problem at all. Do it once and that's it amnd takes only 2 minutes to do. Thereafter noneed to worry anymore about trying to fly wrong plane it will only operate with that plane it was bound to. Called Model match. With 20 model memory what more could anyone need? As has been stated Rx's are less costly and if you go for the 6 ch Rx it can be had for about $60. I advise though to choose the AR6200 unless all your flying is done at close range. That model uses the 2 Rx's as does the 7000 better choice for couple extra bucks.
tedmo is offline  
Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 AM
  #16  
celticflyer
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 374
Default

"I advise though to choose the AR6200 unless all your flying is done at close range. That model uses the 2 Rx's as does the 7000 better choice for couple extra bucks."

tedmo, I don't think range is a problem. I fly 6100's as far as you can see them, but that is with electric and foam. Large models with metal around can get shadowed. 6100's in Strykers and large foam (60") have no problem.
celticflyer is offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 AM
  #17  
marchino61
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 261
Default Assan - Don't Knock it!

I fly Spektrum DX6i, but a club colleague of mine has an Assan module and 20 Assan receivers.

At $20 per RX he swears by them , and the module means he did not have to get used to a new TX.

He is very happy with Assan. So I would not rule it out, especially for those with modular radios.
marchino61 is offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 AM
  #18  
constantCrash
prefectionist
 
constantCrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 1,919
Default

Any chance you could have your aquatence do a review of the system? maybe some range tests of the receivers? I'd really like to learn about the Assan system (not to buy as I have already drank from the Spektrum brand kool aid) but I like to know as much as I can so I can help others.

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
I fly Spektrum DX6i, but a club colleague of mine has an Assan module and 20 Assan receivers.

At $20 per RX he swears by them , and the module means he did not have to get used to a new TX.

He is very happy with Assan. So I would not rule it out, especially for those with modular radios.
constantCrash is offline  
Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
  #19  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
I fly Spektrum DX6i, but a club colleague of mine has an Assan module and 20 Assan receivers.

At $20 per RX he swears by them , and the module means he did not have to get used to a new TX.

He is very happy with Assan. So I would not rule it out, especially for those with modular radios.
I have seen the tests where they can get the Assan system to lock out - pretty scarey if you ask me...

If the DNS that I link to above ever comes back (they had power issues) you can see he tests the system and it goes into lockout. They can not force either Futaba or Spektrum to do the same....

Check out the video below and you might not be as sold...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=8

Food for thought...

Mike
rcers is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 03:40 AM
  #20  
marchino61
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 261
Default Review of 2.4GHz systems

Up until now - to me at least- 2.4GHz has seemed like a kind of "black magic". Not that I do not understand spread spectrum (I am a mobile telecomms engineer with over 15 years experience), but the maufacturers have been very reluctant to release the technical details of their products which would allow objective comparisions to be made.

So I was very fortunate to find a long, long thread (97 pages) on modelgiants.com yesterday which compared all four commonly available systems - Futaba, Spektrum/JR, XPS and Assan. They only tested one aspect of the systems - resistance to interference - but I still found the results quite illuminating.

To save you trawling through the thread as I did, I found a page summarising the results:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrumtests.shtml

I'd like to thank "Kiwi" and "XJet" from Flying giants for getting this information to us.

Summary of the summary: Futaba and Spektrum are resistant to heavy interference in one part of the 2.4 GHz spectrum; XPS and Assan are not. However, the test did really hammer them from an interference point of view. The reviewer found XPS and Assan to be about equal in performance - however, comparing their prices gives a completely different picture!

There are still a lot of misunderstandings about 2.4GHz (particularly about the way that many TX/RX pairs can share the same channel due to DSSS techniques) but I think the picture is slowing becoming clearer...in fact another article on the same site provides what I think is quite a clear explanation of spread specturm and the technologies currently available:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml
marchino61 is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 AM
  #21  
Old Sloppy
Member
 
Old Sloppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Buford, Georgia USA
Posts: 58
Default

My 2.4 Ghz radio is a 7CH Futaba.

It works perfectly, it also has features such as but not limited to an automatic timer that helps extend the life of your expensive Lipo batteries.
also the reciever will operate correctly at lower voltages than some other brand will.

Harry
Old Sloppy is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
  #22  
rcers
Super Contributor
 
rcers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Trophy Club TX
Posts: 6,314
Default

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
Up until now - to me at least- 2.4GHz has seemed like a kind of "black magic". Not that I do not understand spread spectrum (I am a mobile telecomms engineer with over 15 years experience), but the maufacturers have been very reluctant to release the technical details of their products which would allow objective comparisions to be made.

So I was very fortunate to find a long, long thread (97 pages) on modelgiants.com yesterday which compared all four commonly available systems - Futaba, Spektrum/JR, XPS and Assan. They only tested one aspect of the systems - resistance to interference - but I still found the results quite illuminating.

To save you trawling through the thread as I did, I found a page summarising the results:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrumtests.shtml

I'd like to thank "Kiwi" and "XJet" from Flying giants for getting this information to us.

Summary of the summary: Futaba and Spektrum are resistant to heavy interference in one part of the 2.4 GHz spectrum; XPS and Assan are not. However, the test did really hammer them from an interference point of view. The reviewer found XPS and Assan to be about equal in performance - however, comparing their prices gives a completely different picture!

There are still a lot of misunderstandings about 2.4GHz (particularly about the way that many TX/RX pairs can share the same channel due to DSSS techniques) but I think the picture is slowing becoming clearer...in fact another article on the same site provides what I think is quite a clear explanation of spread specturm and the technologies currently available:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml
See post 14 above - I agree these are great articles (and why I linked to them!)....and to the Assan video Kiwi did....



MIke
rcers is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM
  #23  
floridawen
Member
 
floridawen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 408
Wink Futaba 7c

I have a FUTABA 7C Transmitter and two R617FS Futaba Receivers. So far they have been good to me and I am pleased with the programming techniques of the transmitter.

One of the great things about 2.4GHz vs. 72 MHz is the antenna length..... CAN'T poke someone in the eye with a 2.4 :p !!
floridawen is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
  #24  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by floridawen View Post
I have a FUTABA 7C Transmitter and two R617FS Futaba Receivers. So far they have been good to me and I am pleased with the programming techniques of the transmitter.

One of the great things about 2.4GHz vs. 72 MHz is the antenna length..... CAN'T poke someone in the eye with a 2.4 :p !!
Well, you could......but be prepared for a fight!
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
  #25  
floridawen
Member
 
floridawen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Plant City, Florida
Posts: 408
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Well, you could......but be prepared for a fight!
Eye protector for television set rod & RC antenna
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 4350985


For use on the outer end of the antenna shaft of a television set or a 72 MHz RC Radio Transmitter. A protector-receptor having a solid body of soft, plastic foam, yieldable or resilient material, such as polyurethane, for preventing the outer end of the antenna shaft from poking the eye when a person's head is in proximity to the antenna shaft. The body has a metallic material embedded therein to enhance television signal reception. The body has a passage extending into it from its outer periphery and is mounted in an operative position with the outer end of the antenna shaft inserted into the passage. A tubular fastener can be mounted on the portion of the antenna shaft inserted in the passage to provide a more positive coupling to the body. Several embodiments of the fastener are disclosed. The body can be spherical or of another shape. The metal material in the body can be of any shape or size and can be in any suitable position in the body.
floridawen is offline  

Quick Reply: 2.4 equipment..


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10200 seconds with 12 queries