PZ Spit-giving up on aileron cables - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ Spit-giving up on aileron cables

Old 07-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default PZ Spit-giving up on aileron cables

I have been working on getting a little more throw out of the cables on my PZ Spit ailerons. The darn things are just too stiff, I even bought a higher torque servo and it still won't center without protesting.

I'm giving up and going with dual servos in the wings. I was thinking of mounting them on the top of the wing since it's a belly flopper, and running the wires through the wing to the bottom and using the slots for the cable to run the wires.

Any advice?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
ltbidrawn

Default pz spit cables

try jamming a bunch of dry graphite lubricant into the cable tubes. really work the stuff in there. also, make sure the cable ends are well-connected to the servo arms. i straightened the ends near the servo ans used a proper control-rod connector (rather than simply wrapping the cable around the arms)
i almost got rid of that single servo setup as well. but this gives my spit plenty aileron throw.

the HET Typhoon motor and 2200 mah pac doesn't hurt either
Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

if the wing you have now is working so poorly, why not just buy another wing?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
if the wing you have now is working so poorly, why not just buy another wing?
I would, except they are what, around 40 bucks, and then I'd have to hack it up to install the carbon rod. I wish they sold them in bare foam with no hardware for $20.00
Obviously the cables work for some people, but I think it is a weak system. There are a couple of factors against it. Somewhat stiff hinges and lots of drag on the cables.
I'm not saying it can't work, I think its just for me its less hassle and more adjustable to go dual servo. I have a Super Cub that runs dual aileron servos, and I'm fooling around with spoilers and flaperons.

I'm noticing all the new RTF stuff from ParkZone and ARF from E-flight have gone to dual servo. I'm wondering if thats because its cheaper to produce or they do it because it works better or is more reliable?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Ben D wing

A possible solution would be to cut both ailerons free and use a couple of free moving metal pinned hinges per aileron instead.