Great Planes ElectriFly PolyCharge? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Great Planes ElectriFly PolyCharge?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:33 AM
kargo

Default Great Planes ElectriFly PolyCharge?

Hey Gang

Anyone ever use this charger?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHNW5&P=7

Is the cheap price tag a flag that this is not the right charger to get? I would need a balancer right?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGS7&P=V

And at least $20 of misc other crap to make it work...

Thanks in advance gang, I'm trying to afford this stuff when there is not a whole lot of green floating around the house, and I don't want to wait for my year pay raise
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 AM
BEC
Bernard Cawley

Depends on what you want to charge. This one is a nice basic charger for up to 1A charge rate - simple and reliable. If you want to balance, you'd need some sort of balancer as well. If you want to charge anything much bigger than a 3s 1200 mAh pack, you'll want something more capable. I have a bunch of chargers but keep one of these just for the 2s 250 mAh packs I used in my small Stevens Aero planes.

My review of that one and some other small chargers here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332493
Old 09-28-2008, 05:40 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

That charger was the first lipo charger I owned, it works great, but you need a balancer with it, I dont think the equnox balancer will work with it, anyway, at 27.99 and 34.99 thats 62.98, DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY on the two, buy a Cellpro 4 charger, they are the best, and will charge and balance you lipo at the same time.

http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4

this is the safest charger on the market and will charge up to 4 cells, plus charge the new A123 cells, you will have no problem selling it if you ever want to

A123
Cellpro 4S, 4 AMP Cell Balancing Charger
NOW AVAILABLE FOR A123 BATTERIES
with Fast Charge Auto Modes and New LCD

The Cellpro charger is designed to charge Cellpro and Cellpro Revolution/Revolectrix battery packs. FMA sells adapters separately to interface with various manufacturer's batteries. Click Here to see the FMA node compatibility page.

Alternatively, battery pigtails are available from FMA Direct that make it possible to easily upgrade your existing other brand lithium batteries to Cellpro convention. Click Here for a pictorial diagram which illustrates wiring convention for all Cellpro battery packs.

In addition to all the great features for standard LiPo batteries, and A123 support that are available in previous Cellpro 4s chargers, the new 4 AMP version is designed from the ground up for super-safe, super-fast charging! With support for up to 4A max charge rates and new faster Auto Charge rates (1.0C, 2.0C, and 3.0C), the new version is capable of safely charging batteries at up to a 3C charge rate. This is only possible with FMA Direct cell-balancing technology which incorporates integrated, highly-accurate cell monitoring and balancing during charge. FMA Direct recommends 3C max charge rates for good quality, high discharge rate batteries of 12C or higher. Click here for the Cellpro 4s Charger for A123 on-line manual.

With the Cellpro 4s balancing charger, you simply Plug-and-Play and Walk Away!

Unlike previous models of the Cellpro 4s charger, the new 4 AMP version does not support an upgrade path from the older models. In addition to firmware updates, the new 4 AMP requires additional hardware improvements not supported by the older 3 AMP Cellpro 4s chargers.

Size: 105mm x 87mm x 17mm
Weight: 215 grams (8.6oz)
Power Source: 10-16v DC input
Outputs: Single channel for any Cellpro battery pack. Order FSIM1 or FUIM1 for PC Interfacing and install the free Charger 4s Viewer software. $74.95
IN STOCK
Add this many to my cart
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Twmaster

That little PolyCharge is a fine little charger. I own one and use it for the smallish packs I use in helis and indoor planes.

As others have pointed out you'll be better off if you can afford a balancing charger. Sadly there are literally dozens of good chargers out there. Too many to list. I personally use a Hyperion EOS1210i which also uses external balancers but that is likely well out of your budget.

Unless you have a Tower Hobbies coupon or gift card you'll do yourself a favor by looking at other vendors web sites for better/more selections also at better pricing.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 AM
kargo

Default Polycharge info, thanks

Thanks for all the great info gang! You can read all the tech stuff you want, but until you get a review from someone whose used it you don't really know. I'll definitely look into the balancing chargers, as soon as I can afford one