Wing building help please - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Wing building help please

Old 02-25-2006, 04:43 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Wing building help please

I am working on my first build--a Wattage Cessna 182. It seems to be pretty straight forward but I ran into something that I don't know what to do about.

I have the ailerons glued on and am trying to glue the wing halves together. Everything seems to fit well except that the trailing edge does'n't line up at the very edge. One wing half seems to have a slightly different end profile or warp to it. You can see it from the side view below. I've also included a top-down view to show that the rest of the wing seems to line up pretty well. What I am saying is that the front isn't low while the rear is high, it just seems to be warped or something.

Can somebody offer any advice? Should I proceed, or do I need to try to straighten the problem? And if it needs to be straightened, how can I do that.

Incidentally, I guess the ailerons have a similar twist in them. That is, if I line up one end of either aileron with the respective trailing edge of the wing, the opposite end of that aileron is not lined up with the wing edge. I would say that the amount is about as much as the above problem.

Can someone help?

Thanks. Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wing1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	7876   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	7877  
Old 02-25-2006, 05:41 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

Is that a balsa built up film covered wing?

If it is- http://www.rchobbies.org/planes_getting_sarted.htm
Warping. Having assembled the model, make sure that the wing panels are straight—no twisting or warping. Look at each wing panel from the tip to the root (toward the fuselage), and make sure their angles match. If one tip has more positive or negative angle than the other does, your model will try to turn in one direction or the other.
To fix a warped wing panel, gently twist it into the opposite position, and then have a helper use a heat gun or a high-wattage hair dryer to remove the wrinkles in the covering. When the covering has cooled and the wrinkles have disappeared, release the panel, and it should be straight.

I'd put some weight on that high end and glue it together and then check out the warp.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

It is balsa and film like you said. I think the wings are stright, the inside (center section just has that one little miss. But I'm going to read that link you gave me and maybe try to see what I can do with it. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Heidelberg Germany Flyer
US Citizen, Overseas...

Your wing is similar to my Rainbow wing. I wouldn't worry too much about the trailing edge of the wing center. I'd glue it closed as the two center attachment bolts should pull it down to the fuse brace/holders. Also the center section is not the important part of the wings attitude influence, it's the warped ailerons that you need to straighten. Also, both ailerons need to be exactly the same.

HGF
Old 02-25-2006, 08:57 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Heidelberg Germany Flyer View Post
Your wing is similar to my Rainbow wing. I wouldn't worry too much about the trailing edge of the wing center. I'd glue it closed as the two center attachment bolts should pull it down to the fuse brace/holders. Also the center section is not the important part of the wings attitude influence, it's the warped ailerons that you need to straighten. Also, both ailerons need to be exactly the same.

HGF
Thanks. I was kind of twisting things around and realized that it didn't take much pressure to get the tail in line. So I epoxied it and taped it good. It looks like I got a good joint, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow when the tape comes off.

I'm going to have to see what I can do with the ailerons. I'm not sure they are actually the problem. Everything on the wing is so not-precise, that it may be the wing, or the fact that the wing is just no built symetrically. But I'll get it as close as I can and hope for a drift instead of a veer to one side!!

Thanks.