What happened to the DOW blue foam? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

What happened to the DOW blue foam?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 PM
robotronski

Default What happened to the DOW blue foam?

Has anyone notice a decline in quality from the Blu-Cor available at Lowes Building Materials?

I think the foam is not as rigid as the foam I have leftover from a few years ago.

I did not even buy any yesterday when I went to Lowes as the quality just wasn't there for me.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Robo
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Robot,
Not sure but my guess is (with most foams) the aging process makes the foam more brittle or in this case appear stiff. Green ( not the color but the age as in recently extruded) foam is still outgassing and coming to full cure. I would expect you would not notice the difference over a few months but a year, likely would. All foams, PVC, urethane and even styrofoam react to aging to different degrees.
Need a chemist to better explain (or debunk) the above.

CC
Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 AM
rocket_jim
Fly Long and Land Softly

You might look at your old foam and the new. I think the old foam had plastic on both sides, and the new stuff has it on just one side. If so, that makes a terrific difference in the stiffness.

Jim
Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 AM
FoamHeadMike
Build Crash Repair Repeat

Originally Posted by capn chaos View Post
Robot,
Not sure but my guess is (with most foams) the aging process makes the foam more brittle or in this case appear stiff. Green ( not the color but the age as in recently extruded) foam is still outgassing and coming to full cure. I would expect you would not notice the difference over a few months but a year, likely would. All foams, PVC, urethane and even styrofoam react to aging to different degrees.
Need a chemist to better explain (or debunk) the above.

CC
I can see where time and changing climates can break down the chemical components of the foam but if it is stored indoors in a climate controlled atmosphere just age itself should not have much of an effect on the foam.
the bottom line is that the Lowes has replaced the good stuff with cheaper made stuff but still sells it at the same cost it still has the same R factor but is not as suitable for building foamies as the High Performance underlayment but there again is not designed for building foam air planes to begin with.
You might want to try calling around some local insulation suppliers, lumber companys oe wood flooring suppliers for DOW Blue Cor high performance underlayment P/P FFF. what Lowes now carrys is DOW protection board.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:23 AM
robotronski

Originally Posted by FoamHeadMike View Post
I can see where time and changing climates can break down the chemical components of the foam but if it is stored indoors in a climate controlled atmosphere just age itself should not have much of an effect on the foam.
the bottom line is that the Lowes has replaced the good stuff with cheaper made stuff but still sells it at the same cost it still has the same R factor but is not as suitable for building foamies as the High Performance underlayment but there again is not designed for building foam air planes to begin with.
You might want to try calling around some local insulation suppliers, lumber companys oe wood flooring suppliers for DOW Blue Cor high performance underlayment P/P FFF. what Lowes now carrys is DOW protection board.
Well that explains it clearly for me. Thanks. I love being able to knock out a foam plane in one or two evenings with no CA all over my fingers at the end of the night. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 AM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

I've Recently bought a stack of fanfold foam. I had to go to 4 different Lowes Stores to find a decent bundle. 99% of the stuff was really wavy. looked as if it had been extruded too quickly. Hopefully this will get better soon as i go through this stuff like candy.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

I bought some Dow ProtectionBoard III (blue foam from Lowe's) which is less dense and slightly lighter than the original BlueCor. I am using it on my PT-19 build and it is excellent for skinning over Readiboard formers. You could use balsa for formers if you find Readiboard too heavy (I don't). The wing spars are a combination of doubled bamboo skewer dowels and Readiboard full length wing spars. Here's a few pictures to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue foam for nose.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	113298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starting to look like PT-19.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	113299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Symmetry.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	113300  
Old 11-14-2009, 03:00 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

If you cant find it at your local Lowes, go on the web and look up Allied Building Products. See if they have a location in your area and call them and see if they have it in stock.
I was walking my dog last fall and saw some guys putting up siding and on their trailer they had bundles of the old paper on both sides stuff, so ask the guy where he got it and he told me Allied. Also after that some guys on RCG have gotten some from them. Dont know if the paper on both sides is still available now though....

Good Luck
Bob
Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
FoamHeadMike

the DOW high performance underlayment P/P FFF has plastic on both sides, the PP is designated plastic/ plastic which translates plastic film on both sides of the foam
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

So has anyone found the 'original' stuff recently? Can the newer 'protection board' be used for pusher jets, 3d foamies, etc?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

The "old" P/P FFF is getting harder and harder to find now (DOW no longer makes it from what I understand). The new Protection board is fine for making RC planes. Just make sure support is added where needed (wing spars and such).

Personally, I prefer building with depron, but it can be more expensive. Although most LHS' and even some craft stores sell it now.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM
FoamHeadMike

Originally Posted by PaperAirplane View Post
So has anyone found the 'original' stuff recently? Can the newer 'protection board' be used for pusher jets, 3d foamies, etc?
I havent really looked for it since I started using $Tree Redi Board
but to answer your second question; yes, lots of people use the FFF PB exclusively for park jets and all other types of planes
TV Casualty, the designer of the corsair I am building built his with the stuff and that is a to scale model.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 AM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Thanks guys, sounds like I will be picking some up soon!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

PaperAirplane, you won't regret it. The Dow Protection Board is really quite good.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Thanks, v2Cats
Old 03-19-2010, 01:55 AM
RonaldF
Ground Flyer

I recently mail ordered some blue fan fold from Lowes. It is terrible. The Panels are wavy. They are not flat. I'll have to find something to insulate with it.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
wingnutt
Will work for foam

RonaldF - dont worry about the waves. they are not that intrusive. if you are needing constant thickness sheets, then slice it down to 3/16". Easy to do with a couple of 3/16" lengths of music wire or steel rod and a hot wire.

just lay the rods on either side of the foam (onion skin side down) and weight the top with a flat piece of MDF, plywood or the like (just as long as its flat). now simply slide the hotwire along the rods. you can even go down to 1/8" for wing skins, turtledeck wrapping, etc.

its still great stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:28 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I still have some of the old P/P Blue Core, but it's going fast. Once that runs out, then I have some options....

The one sided plastic on the new Dow PB wouldn't be a big deal. I usually have to remove skin on one side of the older stuff for either gluing or rolling undercambered wings. Lately, I've removed the film altogether and just quickly hit it with a heat gun to melt the surface... great for those light builds and it seems to add some strength.

However, I'm a 3 hour drive to the nearest Lowes in the USA (I live in Canada and cannot buy locally). I don't think I will be making the trip anytime soon to get more. :-(

My plan now is to just buy 2" thick extruded foam locally and slice my own. I have the parts to build a hot wire foam cutter... just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm hoping I can get far more consistent sheet thickness without the waves.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
crash-rc

Dow now calls there BluCor Layflat P/P with the p/p standing for plastic on both sides available at flooring suppy places and comes in two thicknesses 1/4" and 3/8". On Dows web site you can cantact them and find distributor in you area.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:24 AM
RonaldF
Ground Flyer

Originally Posted by wingnutt View Post
RonaldF - dont worry about the waves. they are not that intrusive. if you are needing constant thickness sheets, then slice it down to 3/16". Easy to do with a couple of 3/16" lengths of music wire or steel rod and a hot wire.

just lay the rods on either side of the foam (onion skin side down) and weight the top with a flat piece of MDF, plywood or the like (just as long as its flat). now simply slide the hotwire along the rods. you can even go down to 1/8" for wing skins, turtledeck wrapping, etc.

its still great stuff.
It is not worth my time and effort. I'll stick with depron.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
cliffh

Thanks for that info. I'm going to try to find some of that 2 sided material.

Cliff
Old 07-10-2010, 02:20 AM
amt

Hi:
Is there a easy way to remove the plastic film from the foam? I have some in my garage that I bought about a year ago and put it there as it was almost impossible to remove. I was told to get a hold on an edge and peel it back! It starts out fine then just rips into smaller strips!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Don
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by amt View Post
Is there a easy way to remove the plastic film from the foam?
If you pull the film back on itself, it will do this.

Here is the trick:

Keep the angle of the film less than 45 deg to the foam and pull upwards. Use your other hand to hold the foam down. You should be able to strip the film in one piece.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I've started slicing my own foam sheets using a hot wire foam cutter. The sheets come out perfectly flat and have similar strength and rigidity as un-skinned FFF.

Here is one of my first builds using the new foam:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blu Citabria - Front 2.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	131578  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM
amt

Philipa 240sx:
I'll try that. As of yet nothing else has worked. I spent 6 hours trying to get the film off the pieces for a Y22 last night ! I noticed that when it is all off, the foam seems alot less stiffer. Everything I have read before has said to remove all the film on both sides. I have seem pictures lately that seem to show none of the film removed. I tried several practice gluing pieces and you have to remove the film where you place glue or there is no strength. What are your suggestions and what do you do? I have seen plans that just show 1 carbon fiber rod in the wings, and later seen planes from the same plans with many rods everywhere! Is there a normal amount?
I am new to fanfold and depron (can't find depron) so sorry for all the questions and I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks again
Don

Quick Reply: What happened to the DOW blue foam?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10581 seconds with 17 queries