Bone-Head Move of the Week - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Bone-Head Move of the Week

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Unhappy Bone-Head Move of the Week

I thought it might be fun for us to post our Bone-Head Boo-Boo's here and see who's Had the Brain-fart this week,,,
I'll lead off with this,, I stayed up much to late work'in on putt'in a brushless set-up on a Super-Cub I've had lay'in around forever for Mike ( one of my club kids) and need to add a few inch's to the ESC wire's,
We met to fly it and got it out only to find I'd put a Female on the ESC!!!!!
after some swear'in under my breath we got some solder out and made some little jumpers for it and flew away,,, Mike's be Wait'in and practicing for this day and we HAD to get it go'in,, He flew it GREAT,
BoneHead for wire'in at 3:00ambubsteve
Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Good idea for a thread Steve.

I haven't had one this week (yet) but my bonehead move of the year was at SEFF when I forgot to plug up my ailerons on my Shoestring. I realized it as soon as, I got it off the ground... didn't take long to get it back on the ground either unfortunately...

Scratched one Shoestring that day...
Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

LOL Steve! The good news is that you figured out how to get it flying despite the error!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

I just finished an electric conversion of an Ace Whizard. I wanted to test fly it something awful yesterday, so I drove a half hour out to the club field with only the plane, radio, and a battery.

By the time I got out there the wind was so terrible, but I didn't care, I wanted to fly it! It didn't even get off the ground, the wind blew it over and broke the prop. Then it was another half hour ride home. I was so mad, I should've known better than to fly in such terrible weather.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Ouch!! that hurt way over here!!
Flight-box full-o-Props sounds in order!!
Hope she gets in the Air soon,bubsteve
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

bone head builder of the week.

installing servos on the tower uproar i built,did alittle custom sheeting around the wing ailerons.......cub yellow covering all done.

to bad i forgot to cut the sheeting where the servos seatin the winghalves.....what should have been slice the covering and drop the servos in turned into find the spot with a dremel and cut away now they'er seated but the covering looks poorl around the servos........still have more to do so who knows what bone head move i'll do next...lol....

just one more covering blemish to hide with decals/pinstriping....dohhhhh
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM
TbigD

I think this might be the bone head of the year , one of the guys i fly with put his spektrum transmitter in the shade of his car............yup , you guessed it , he drove over it ! But it has a happy ending , no more brown outs .......http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...35751&page=440 , post 10999 , 3rd to last picture....
Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

O_O Alpha i just gasped out loud at work. Man that sucks.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
TylerJCooper

Great thread...

... terrifying stories.

Gooding thinking Bubsteve
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Ok, at about 9:52 yesterday (check Steves thread time above) I was at my sons preschool giving a "show and tell" with my Ryan, TM and Micro P51 prior to a field trip to the local private airport. Had the class's undivided attention naming the parts (best I could..lol) and was finishing up getting ready to fly the micro "stang" in the empty field across from the school playground. While carrying Tiger Moth and Ryan back to the car in one hand the Tiger Moth aileron control rod punctured the doculam wing on the ryan and ripped a two inch gash. Luckily it is in the large white panel so at least repainting wont be difficult....ack
Good thread bubsteve...bad timing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ryan wing.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	127448  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Just last night I had a minor crash of my T-Rex 450 clone (*snapped blade). I balanced and put a new set of blades on but it flew terrible!
So I put a new main shaft in...still terrible. So I put a new feathering shaft in...terrible. A new fly-bar? Still terrible! Checked all links, tightened belt, etc.
And then I saw it! I had installed one of the rotor blades upside-down.
Flies great now...sorta like a heli with all new parts. Doh!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Mine usually end up being electrical in nature. I'll spend a couple hours making sure I don't short something and then in the end I'll short it.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
Ouch!! that hurt way over here!!
Flight-box full-o-Props sounds in order!!
Hope she gets in the Air soon,bubsteve
Steve that the thing, I've got a huge flight box, with tons of props. I was just too eager to go out and fly it, I didn't bring anything with me. Plus, I should've known as soon as I got out of the car it was too windy to even attempt.

This is it:

Name:	100_2016.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	127479  
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

this needs to be made a topic of its own. Every week we could vote on the dumbest move.......the winner could get a icon to proudly display. Id even put up some money for a yearly prize for the smoothest move.........maybe buy some swag.

Possum
Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum View Post
this needs to be made a topic of its own. Every week we could vote on the dumbest move.......the winner could get a icon to proudly display. Id even put up some money for a yearly prize for the smoothest move.........maybe buy some swag.

Possum
I'm a mechanic and many years ago we did something like that in the shop. We had a boomerang and whoever had a bunch of comebacks had the shame of hanging the boomerang on his toolbox.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:33 AM
MadMonkey
OOGA BOOGA

You don't want me to start. It's hard for me to build anything beyond a receiver-ready plane because I'm a living example of Murphy's Law
Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
You don't want me to start. It's hard for me to build anything beyond a receiver-ready plane because I'm a living example of Murphy's Law

Murphy hated me.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 AM
TylerJCooper

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum View Post

Possum

Sounds like the "Darwin Award" of Wattflyer
Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 AM
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

Originally Posted by scott-p View Post
I'm a mechanic and many years ago we did something like that in the shop. We had a boomerang and whoever had a bunch of comebacks had the shame of hanging the boomerang on his toolbox.

Back when I was bending wrenches, we'd set a cream can next to who ever we thought was "milking" the job too long

Possum
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I would win this Award for sure LOL in front of hundreds of people at a so calif. Fun Fly, I pinned my foam Ailerons so they will stay straight during storage, I removed the top pins from the top ailerons on my Giant Bi Plane, got distracted and forgot to remove the pins on the bottom main Ailerons, What a Wild Ride That Was I got the plane back down with Minor Damage, And i felt like a Moron for the rest of the day Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42680

Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Over the years Ive accumulated a few bone head moves

Ive taken off with ailerons reversed, ailerons disconnected, prop adapter not tightened, prop on backwards, wheel collars loose enough to fall off, servo arm screws not installed and battery packs not velcrowed in and battery packs wired as 3S2P instead of 6S1P.

Someone recently asked me why I had used a mix of blue foam and pink foam on the sponsons on my Mega Capricorn.

I proceeded to tell them all about how the different foam densities worked together in such a way as to allow for extra force distribution through the structural transverse latitudinal elements as well as damping 3rd order harmonic vibrations at peak rpm while inverted.

The true story is that even though I knew I was going to use a 22" prop on the thing I forget to check for prop clearance while building the thing. I had to go back after it was almost done and cut the sponsons off and add 2" to the tops so the prop would clear. By that time all I had was the blue foam :o

Name:	IMG_4688 (Medium).JPG
Views:	806
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	127509  
Old 05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Warden

You'd think I would have learned after the first time but I've actually done this twice. In a hurry to pack up after a flight and I turned off the arming switch on the plane but forgot to unplug the battery. About a week later, I opened up the battery hatch and inside was one very expensive but very dead and puffy Polyquest battery.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Uhhuh35

I've done plenty of stupid things during my flying career but particular one sticks in my mind.

When I was stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa (1989-92) we flew at nearby Yomitan airfield, an old Japanese airfield from WWII. Anyway, I brought a newly finished .20 size Ugly Stick to the field and set it up for it's maiden flight.

I started the engine, checked all the controls for proper movement and taxied out for take off. Gave it full throttle and the plane accelerated, tried to lift off but the elevator wasn't responding! Tried to throttle back but the that wasn't responding either! The little ship veered off the runway and dove full throttle into the sugar cane field just off the runway.

Broken prop, a bit of wing damage and the tail had broken off, but otherwise repairable. I get the plane back to the pits and that's when I noticed it: The antenna was still wrapped up inside the fuselage! That was the reason for the loss of control. Doh!

And of course like many of you, more than once my father and I have driven to the field and found we've forgotten the transmitters or the fuel!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Thanks you guys ,I'm not feel'in so bone-Headed any more in this room full-of-Boneheads like myself! bubsteve

Quick Reply: Bone-Head Move of the Week

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16579 seconds with 16 queries