I have elevator servo fluctuations. Any ideas? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

I have elevator servo fluctuations. Any ideas?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Catalina

Default I have elevator servo fluctuations. Any ideas?

Just made this plane:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10519

and am using these servos:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6608

Have not yet flown plane.
All functions seem to operate correctly. The problem I have is if I tap or bump the elevator, the elevator then vibrates/fluctuates rapidily. The servo is working hard to bring it back to center but the servo seems to not be able to control it and it gets in this harmonic shaking. If I move the elevator from up to down fast (or down to up) it controls fine. Its just the small tap that upsets it. I have one idea and that is because the elevator is so big, it must flex a bit (or flex the control rod, but they are thick ones) and then cant get it back to center and sets up a harmonic vibration.
Bit worried to fly it like this as I dont know how it will perform in flight.
Anybody else had this problem?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Xptical

Sounds like a bad pot in the servo. You can open up the servo case and try to get at the pot and put in some denatured alcohol, CA de-bonder, or some other cleaning solvent. Then, move the pot around a few times and see if you can clean it up some.

Probably best to just replace the servo.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Agree with other guy - replace the servo ... really does sound like a bad pot or motor in the servo.

Try a different servo in the slot ... see if it still does same ...
Old 12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
DanFive0
Hanger 18

Yes first try another servo in that RX slot, but highly doubt it. Always good to buy spares especially with HK parts.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:06 AM
A.T.

Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
Just made this plane:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10519 and am using these servos:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6608 Have not yet flown plane. All functions seem to operate correctly. The problem I have is if I tap or bump the elevator, the elevator then vibrates/fluctuates rapidily. The servo is working hard to bring it back to center but the servo seems to not be able to control it and it gets in this harmonic shaking. If I move the elevator from up to down fast (or down to up) it controls fine. Its just the small tap that upsets it. I have one idea and that is because the elevator is so big, it must flex a bit (or flex the control rod, but they are thick ones) and then cant get it back to center and sets up a harmonic vibration.Bit worried to fly it like this as I dont know how it will perform in flight.Anybody else had this problem?
Digital Servo - Stop the Jitter of High Resolution Servo at center

and more on Digital servos at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.