New Alloy EDF from HobbyKing - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

New Alloy EDF from HobbyKing

Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Catalina

Default New Alloy EDF from HobbyKing

Found these while shopping at HK.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=15170

They look great. Will wait and see how the reviews go before I purchase. Not sure what planes they will fit, or if you have to do some heavy modifications to the plane you buy. Anybody tried something similar. Not sure how mounting will go either. I hot glue my EDF fans in my jets.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

sure looks like a nice EDF, your limited to only a 3 cell lipo and it draws about 60 Amps, so look into getting a 80 amp ESC for it but with 4700kv, you dont need anymore lipo cells, with that high of a KV the EDF might be a Heater hope not I like the fact that the motor has 3 bearings, and the impeller is metal, it should be a nice unit, I will wait and see what others have to say about it if you look at the last picture on the HK site, the EDF has 2 tapped holes for mounting, i guess you will have to make a bracket to screw to it, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM
ExtremeRC
Rocket Man

Was only a matter of time till HK had these, they have had the self collapsing EPF retracts for some time now

Its heavy and inefficient, the GWS EDF64 is a better fan unit. Look at the figures, 44A on 4 cells to produce 940 grams thrust and it weighs 160g.

The EDF64 with our 2445 inrunner pulls 36-38A on 4 cells to produce 1080 grams thrust and weighs 123 grams with plugs ready to install.

Sure the EDF64 doesnt have the bling, but it has a very well designed rotor that sounds really sweet in the air and is very efficient.

The EPF rotor is your basic chinese design, looks just like the Lander rotors that we already know are not as efficient in the air as a wemotec rotor is.