Where do I get foam? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Where do I get foam?

Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM
pepcid

Default Where do I get foam?

I am starting to build my first foamie plane. So where do I get the foam to build it ?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by pepcid View Post
I am starting to build my first foamie plane. So where do I get the foam to build it ?
Depends on what type of foamie you want to build. You can get 6mm depron from www.rcfoam.com or check out foamfighters.com or of course your LHS. It's not cheap but it is nice.

I've built several pusher profile, " prop in the slot" parkjets with Dollar Tree foam board. An F4, (2) F-22's, F-15, SU-37, etc. Very cheap and it works fine for the most part. I don't recommend painting it though. It softens the paper backing. I use colored 2mil packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com. Makes your foamie look like it was monocoated. Well, kind of. Adds a nice touch and protects the foam from bangs and bruises.

There's a new foam available: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

Don't know you can buy it by the sheet though. Looks very promising.

You can also build with insulating foam from Home Depot but this would be for something big.

Real depron is the best IMHO but you do pay for it. Again, it really depends on what you're building.

Good luck. Hope that helps !

-Hawk
Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 AM
pepcid

Thanks the Dollar Tree foam should work great. It will be a very simple plane.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Some Useless Geek
Just Some Useless Geek

Let me just confirm the source that Hawk mentioned: Model Plane Foam. I have two boxes of this stuff, and it is by far and away the best material I have ever used to build planes. I've got some babbling about this on my RCG blog, but you can look around and find all kinds of people raving about this new material. Three times the cost of FFF from the hardware store and worth every penny of it.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
startazz

Wink

Yeah the dollar tree stuff will do i guess and at that price who can grumble,us boys in the UK have to pay around 4/5 a sheet for the stuff you get for a dollar,unless we go to ebay and even then it's still not as cheap as what you boys in the USA get it for.

I like the sound and look of the foam that SUGeek has mentioned,so if i had a choice i wouldn't mind trying that out,but don't think i'll be getting any for obvious.

Anyways good luck on your choice and build pepcid.