Newbee questions ESC selection & Motor Prop Mounts - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

Newbee questions ESC selection & Motor Prop Mounts

Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Paul80

Default Newbee questions ESC selection & Motor Prop Mounts

Hi all

I need a bit of advice regarding ESC selection for my first Tricopter.

At the moment I am making a list of everything I need and slowing getting everything together.

I have some ESC from my Electric Planes, is it ok to use these or do I have to have some specifically made for multi copters how important is it to have SimonK firmware or is the standard firmware fine for a beginner.

Are the standard Hobbywing or Hobbyking ESC OK to use. Any recommendations if not.

One more question regarding Motor selection.

I was going to go with the SunnySky X2212 that a lot of people recommend but notice that they only supply one type of prop adaptor with a standard right hand thread will this be OK on a motor that is running the other way as one of the front motors will be, or should I go with another motor that has a Left and right hand thread option. any recommendations if the SunnySky is not a good choice.

Thanks again for any help with this.

Paul
Old 11-22-2015, 06:07 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Consider SunnySky multi-rotor motors.........:

http://www.rcsunnysky.com/html/multicopter/

As for ESC's, the guys over at DIY Drones suggest......:

"The best ESCs for SimonK must answer the following criteria:

-Have only NFET transistor and no P/N mix

-Have an external oscillator to remain consistant as temperature rises

-If you are not using BEC from the ESC to power APM or something else, I would advise to go for "OPTO" (meaning there is no BEC)

A list of validated ESCs to be used with SimonK is officially given here:
"

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/RapidESC+Database

I have no personal experience with SimonK, but a few guys at the club have mentioned SunnySky motors and Afro ESC's as good start-up stuff for multi-rotors.

Here's a link to a cheapie Tri a buddy of mine used to build his (he used SunnySky motors and the HK esc's, NAZA-M lite, and Spektrum RX........:

http://www.instructables.com/id/TRICOPTER/

It actually flew.....once all the bugs got ironed out........
Old 11-23-2015, 03:59 AM
Flubber

Give Headsup rc a look. They have the emax motors in CW and CCW and emax simon K esc'c for a great price. If you are going to do flips and such keep the parts cheap so you won't mind tearing things up.

You can use regular esc's but the simon K flashed ones react faster and that allows your gains to be increased which then increases the stability of your multirotor.

When I first tried high switching rate esc's the bee like noise disappeared and the quad wobbled around. I turned the gains up a little and it still wobbled. Kept raising the gains up and up until it was so stable and still so responsive. Never used regular esc's again.

Pizzano is spot on about all Nfet's making a better (faster with less heat) design. You have so many choices now.

I like dealing with Headsup just in case I need to return something. though I still get things from Hobbyking. I have also have good service from ready to fly quads his esc's seem to be more up to date.

If you have access to a 3D printer you can print all the parts you need and use wooden or carbon arms. I have a printer if you need parts.