Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Women Pilots On Wattflyer

Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It will work just fine either way. On the Blade 400, people flip the grips over, changing from trailers to leaders, and it still flies just fine.
Some even say it's more responsive and flies better with the grips flipped.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Some even say it's more responsive and flies better with the grips flipped.
Yes, but I think it's because you can get more pitch range that way.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Twmaster

There was an explanation posted on Heli-freak but I didn't quite understand the physics/dynamics involved.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Talking Hobby Stores & Stuff

All we have here in Indianapolis is HobbyTown and a couple of other small independent stores & one might be going out of business since the last breakin. I'm looking at a town 50 miles south where there are no hobby shops at all & lots of growth; there's two WalMarts there now.

---

OK, it doesn't fly but the CAT loves it. I added the optional lites for fun at night. This is the Losi micro Baja Desert Truck from Horizon. They had these at the LHS and the CAT has been wanting one. We got this back when I had a job a few months back. It's really awsome except for the radio. It has a real working supension, a differential, & clutch so you don't burn up the gears. There's also a LiPo upgrade but I figure it's like the Blade CP Pro & you might as well get the real thing like a TRex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000300 - sm.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	87243  
Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Default Does pink make a difference?

Ok,... I have a much more serious question ...

Have any of you gals ever used a bit of pink in your coverings? The reason I ask is that every time I have the neighborhood kids over the girls (and sometimes their moms too) always comment on my pink and silver SuperSportster biplane. Do you think that it would be that simple to get some girls interested in flying? I am never one to split colors along gender lines, but, still, in this country young girls still go for pink.

What do you think? Any other ideas on how to interest some of young girls?

Whenever I'm flying with them in the back yard they always want to make up stories about where the airplane is from and where it is going and who is flying aboard. This usually calls for several touch and goes so we can go somewhere new. Always entertaining...

Franny

Name:	P8204682.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	87244  
Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
They just sold out and closed their store here. The 4 established shops just couldn't be beat. Denver is huge but there wasn't room for another hobby shop. From what I understand, the one in Boulder is going along fine.

So make sure you won't be overkill for your market...
Which one closed? Littleton, Thornton, or Aurora? I'd like to question Ken about that! I forget which one was the flagship store, but it all started right there in Denver...

Hey -- as I was tucking in my daughter last night, I asked her if she thought it would be a good idea if I brought some RC airplanes to one of her girl scout meetings. Her eyes lit up, and she said, "SURE!" (she was very excited)...

So, I'd like to thank the girls of this thread, who gave me this small idea...
Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

My wife commented last night that I needed to build a pink and purple plane if I really want to get the attention of my 4 y.o. daughter. I'll build one and let you know if it seems to spark any interest in her. Right now all she ever wants to do is watch me crash ...I entertain her often .
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Ahhh, yes... kids love to watch that and ask the impossible like "can you land it on that road way over there and then fly back" Uh, um,... no.

I'd really be interested in what she thinks of something pink and cute. Sometimes you have to meet people half way
Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Which one closed? Littleton, Thornton, or Aurora? I'd like to question Ken about that! I forget which one was the flagship store, but it all started right there in Denver...
Thornton closed down, sold off all the stuff at low low prices
Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Franny View Post

Have any of you gals ever used a bit of pink in your coverings?
Hehe... yeah just a little bit

There is a slightly more 'girly' pink Ultracote - "Circus pink" I think it's called - but it's not very popular, so I don't know if Jerry has it - he probably does...

I think I may haul this one in for the contest - I could build better, but might as well take it in. The worst that could happen is nobody votes for it

Name:	Hpim0415.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	87250  
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Wow -- I invited my wife to fly my brand new Starmax F-5E, and she just rolled her eyes at me...

What can I do to get her interested?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

You might want to play up the social aspect a bit. Come to the field with doughnuts and coffee or something and she'll be an instant hit! I see a lot of wives in a PR and advisory role with their husbands. They work as a team and announced as such. Make her feel like she belongs and is a valuable part of your team. The interest can flow from a nice morning outdoors with her husband being with friends - something like that. The flying thing is something that is born early in someone's life but can be developed later. She may want to give it a whirl a little later, but she will probably not want to make a fool of herself so the simulator may help with that.

It is a hard thing to say what interests folks - such a personal thing. Most people like doing things that are fun and not too stressful that the have something they can take away.

Any of that help?

f
Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

FRANNY: I have a 6 year old step daughter & shes a typical girl, wants her Daddy to get her a pink 3ch heli for xmas....everything is pink with her.

Kirsty x
Old 12-20-2008, 01:17 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Pink

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post
FRANNY: I have a 6 year old step daughter & shes a typical girl, wants her Daddy to get her a pink 3ch heli for xmas....everything is pink with her.

Kirsty x
Get the E-flite Blade mCX, then get the white canopy & paint it PINK. Go to the Arts & Crap store and get some stickers to spice it up.

What is it with PINK? It's OK but I like other colors too.

Name:	P1000303 - sm.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	87258  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
Get the E-flite Blade mCX, then get the white canopy & paint it PINK. Go to the Arts & Crap store and get some stickers to spice it up.

What is it with PINK? It's OK but I like other colors too.
We were thinking more inline wit a picoZ or whatever they are called, that would do her fine & she cant harm too many people with it

Kirsty x
Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Kirsty -- before spending money on the PicoZ, check out the E-Flite Blade mCX.

The PicoZ is very difficult to control, and the Blade mCX will go where you tell it. Your daughter will grow tired and frustrated with the PicoZ -- the mCX is a much better way to get her "hooked" on RC.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Have any of you gals ever used a bit of pink in your coverings? The reason I ask is that every time I have the neighborhood kids over the girls (and sometimes their moms too) always comment on my pink and silver SuperSportster biplane. Do you think that it would be that simple to get some girls interested in flying? I am never one to split colors along gender lines, but, still, in this country young girls still go for pink.

Whenever I'm flying with them in the back yard they always want to make up stories about where the airplane is from and where it is going and who is flying aboard. This usually calls for several touch and goes so we can go somewhere new. Always entertaining...

Franny
Pink gee, I would never use Pink for a covering or trim

oK I am Soooo Busted
Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

Default wow!

Franny

WOW!that bipe looks way kool!! how does it fly? i bet my daughter would like a plane with a pink color scheme like that...Why didnt i think of that???Guess cause im a man.hehehe im glad i found this thread..always can learn somethin from women...wish more flew where im at.maybe my wife would get into it more
Old 12-20-2008, 04:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Franny
Super Nice Plane Franny, and pink Looks Great On It

Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Pink Ultimate & Stuff

You're making me want to strip all the covering off of my new Ultimate Bipe and make it PINK. The ARF covering is not too good anyway.

PINK sould be easy to see in the air.

I did like the Pink Panther when I was growing up. I wasn't too happy with the DVD set that came out a few years back.

---

The E-flite Blade mCX is a wonderful micro heli. I don't think you can hurt anyone with it even if you tried. The mCX will also teach real heli skills where the toy helis won't. The mCX does cost more.

A lot of the toy helis are more like gyro-copters in that they always keep moving forward and never hover but they still look like a real heli.

The top blades & flybar are the parts that break the most with the mCX. Right now those parts are on backorder.

Whatever, it's your choice.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Chicks dig it! I'm not a huge fan of the bubble gum pink, but the pearl is really neat.

So, how does it fly? Pretty well actually. It is a biplane though so it won't slow to a crawl on landings. I actually haven't flown it a bunch and I think it is a tad tail heavy (not a good thing on the biplane). I added the outboard struts for looks. I never did get a straight answer from GP about why they dropped it from the SuperSportster line. The build was a bit weird and needlessly difficult in some places, but it has a cool sporty look. From what I read from others, people liked it. Most were heavy and fast. Mine sports an AXI 2826 and that 4X4000mAH pack - about 500Wor so. I had a great time covering up where the cylinder is supposta stick out Here is a couple shots of the nose... Seems all my airplanes have to have a cuteness factor. The Satin Doll is probably the most cute.

f

Name:	P8204656.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	87286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8204685.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	87287  
Old 12-20-2008, 05:37 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Looks a bit like an Ultimate except for the nose. I also noticed that the control surfaces are not as large. Probably where they got the design for the Ultimate from.

Great Planes has changed things up quite a bit this year and so has Horizon. Yeah, 'THEY' rarely do answer your questions. I had a little GP foamie the I did by the book and it just would not fly good, I asked why...

---

Oh well, soo much for the RC store franchise... 'THEY' want around 1/4 million for startup. Dang, with that kind of money I wouldn't have to start a store in the first place.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:27 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

With that mCX, you have an instant hit... I was flying mine earlier tonight - and if it comes right down to it, someone is already making some replacement bodies for it...
Old 12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
My wife commented last night that I needed to build a pink and purple plane if I really want to get the attention of my 4 y.o. daughter. I'll build one and let you know if it seems to spark any interest in her. Right now all she ever wants to do is watch me crash ...I entertain her often .
Hi James make her one of those round planes from pink foam, make it big, so its easy to fly and see, she will love it, Hope that helps, Chellie

Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 AM
brinnaaa
photographer/videographer

well i havent been on much.
just so busy with my social life, school, brothers scouts, church, and waterpolo.
hope everybody has a Merry Christmas.
So who wants what for Christmas?
i know what i want and its only one thing.

Quick Reply: Women Pilots On Wattflyer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12639 seconds with 21 queries