Vintage and old timer models Discuss nostalgic vintage aircraft

Goldberg "Sailplane"

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 AM
RogerQ

Default old timers

This is to FRanny: I have now built two old timers including the Quaker: they fly so slow for me, or I fly them so slowly that a lot of rudder is not needed.
Mine has about 20-30 percent rudder, and it works just fine. RogerQ.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi All,

I have finished and flown my Valkyrie. I have lots of photos here: http://www.frannybrodigan.com/Valkyrie.asp

and the final flight photos are here on the blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094906

I put together a short video so you can see the Big "V" in action. Take-off was at about 1/2 throttle...

Here is a link to the larger 20M file: Valkyrie Maiden Flight Video

And a link to the smaller file: Valkyrie Maiden Flight Video Smaller

After all the discussions about control, the rudder size is more than enough and the Valkyrie flies beautifully. I sure like the Sailplane too so maybe one of those is in my future as well...

Enjoy,
Franny
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Cecil M Wethy
Cecil M Wethy

Default Goldberg Sailplane

Franny, the sailplane is as good or better flyer than the Valkyrie. I have
a 1946 Comet Sailplane kit and will donate a copy of the plans, if you want
to build it. The Valkyrie is still my favorite of Goldberg free flights and he sure made a lot of them. Beautiful work on the Valkyrie, Cecil
Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks Cecil,

Can I ask?... Why do you think the Sailplane is as good or better than the Valkyrie? From what I've seen of Goldberg's work, the Valkyrie is the most refined in performance (from his notes I've read). At 6lbs and 1800sqin of area, the wing loading is about 7.7 and Goldberg went with a circular cross-section for the minimum drag.

I haven't built a Sailplane so I don't know, but is the airfoil under-cambered? Goldberg claimed a glide ration of 50:1 for the Valkyrie, but I would imagine in 1937 that was a bit difficult to calculate accurately.

It would be really fun to put the two up in the air at the same time. I bet they are pretty evenly matched actually. The airplane I went head to head with in the competition last year flying the Cumulus was a miniture Sailplane and it gave me a run for my money!

Too bad we are so far apart! It would be great fun to fly the two together. I grew up in Naples and went to school at UF and we almost lost our Gentle Ladies on more than one occasion up there. Out here the lift is a bit different. I am starting at 5600' or so and the lift swings can be a bit extreme.

Thanks again. I would love a copy of the plans if you have them in electronic format but I don't want to bother you with shipping. I'm sure I can find someone locally who would have a set I can copy.

Franny
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Hi Franny,
You did a fantastic job on the Valkyrie.
But then I expected no less from you.

Paul
Old 06-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks Paul!!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Great Job!

Hi Franny,
Beautiful job on the Valkyrie, glad to hear it flies well.
The Sailplane would make a fine next project. I have a kit of the little version, from Penn Valley Hobbies. Same size as the little Playboy.
http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...9sailplane.htm
Hope to see the Valk fly.
Ron
Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi Ron,

Yes, we do need to get together! Any chance you can make it out to the Arvada field sometime?

Pete has a little miniature Sailplane about that size. It flies great! It was a conversion from an old FF that he went electric and added clear control surfaces. He is currently building a Garmin Skylark at close to 10'. Jerry is building something that big and NY Joe is bring a couple back from NY in a few weeks. We should all get out and do a little mini fly-in!

Looking forward to getting together.

Franny
Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 AM
thymekiller

I would like to thank all of you on this thread. I am breathless. The Sailplane has always been a favorite of mine for the graceful lines and now the Valkyrie is on that list also. Stunning work on the wings of both craft. Just stunning. The ribs on the Valkyrie took my breath away.
If its all right, I have placed a link on my website to share with my friends.
thymekiller
AKA Eric McAuley
Stick and Tissue
Feel welcome to visit anytime. Your work is just fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I second thymekiller's post. The Valkyrie and Sailplane in the same thread! The Valkyrie video is poetry. Franny, your piloting was the epitome of radio assist and I had to study carefully to see that the plane was radio controlled. That was a sensitive and fine job of piloting there, absolutely true to the spirit of the plane.

And a video of both planes flying together would be an experience not to be forgotten. Thanks to both of you!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Thanks guys!! There is nothing as graceful as a large Old-Timer.

Funny you mention the flying... At the last Vintage Competition, the club photographer took only one photo of a person and it was of me "flying" the Cumulus. The reason he took the photo was because I had my thumb hooked on the carrying handle of the transmitter and it was hanging with the sticks away from me. For almost four minutes I didn't touch the sticks and that airplane maxed out on all three heats. For me, the less my little monkey paws touch the sticks, the better

The Sailplane is simply beautiful! I would love to see them in the air together sometime...

Franny
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I just think it's a shame that people take a majestic vintage plane, hook up RC to it and proceed to do loops, spins, try inverted flight, maybe a hammerhead stall or two and post the video. Granted I couldn't resist trying those things either at some point, but they're not really appropriate to the spirit of the designer.

Hey!!! Wonder what happens when we put full span ailerons on a Playboy!!!!!! OMG.....not.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Franny

Beautiful plane! Flown like it should be flown!!