Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Another returnee

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 PM
onepoint

Cool Another returnee

Hello. I used to crash an r/c plane- a Mountain Models Magpie. Built it too heavy probably. I'm thinking of trying it again. Not the Magpie- that is long gone. I bought a Yak 54 I think it is b4 I quit. Not for aerobatics but because of the foam its made of allows it to bounce instead of break when it crashes. But I'm thinking either slow stick or Bixler now. My question is- I have a Hitec Eclipse 7 radio. Complete with a transducer? dunno what its called but it allows changing to any channel. The battery is dead but the radio hasn't got even 10 hours on it. Plus a couple receivers, etc. I may go see the local field but primarily I plan on crashing in private. Would you guys stick with the Hitec or go to the 2.4 ghz craze? Also- does anyone know what volts/amps are required for the Eclipse? So I can buy a new battery? I assume there are still sources of parts, receivers, etc around?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If it works there's nothing wrong with using the old radio. Still many thousands of 72mhz radios being used.

The battery information needed should be on the old battery. Typical of most 72 mhz transmitters would be a 8 cell NiCd, 500 mah.

I'm not sure if yours would accept the marginally higher voltage of a 3 cell LiPo. Most that used 8 cell NiCd are fine with a LiPo but there were known issues with Spektrum and JR radios that had voltage regulators that burned up.

The RX should be fine on 4cell NiCd to 5 cell NiCD or 2 cell LiFe.

Servos usually are OK for the same range as the RX but there are some that have issues with more than 6 volts which means the LiFe or 5 cell NiCd would depend on if your servos can handle them.

I have a high end 2.4 ghz but also have working 72 mhz systems still in use.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:38 PM
Rodneh

You can also get plug in modules for that transmitter for either Spectrum type receivers or one that works with FrSky on 2.4GHz. I have both and they work very well. Nothing wrong with just using the 72MHz units as is as long as you have them. Just check the innards on your transmitter if you left the old batteries in it and they expired there. You may have some corrosion, especially if you left NiCad cells in there and they ruptured you would have a good chance that "black wire disease" has done some damage that only be repaired by replacement of the infected wires. Yes, "black wire disease" is real, a type of corrosion where the wire has actually change in composition chemically forming a material that is very brittle, high impedance and unsolderable.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:34 PM
onepoint

Thanks for your responses. The reason I asked about the batteries though is that 2-3 years ago I tossed the batteries for just that reason. I didn't want them leaking nasty stuff into the innards. So I don't have them to tell me what their properties are.
I don't understand the plug in modules comment. I remove the transducer unit and plug this in and it converts my radio to 2.4 ghz? Wow what'll they think of next!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM
onepoint

I just went out to the garage and dug around and found the radio. And the instruction booklet. And.....the original Nicads are still in it! I guess I just thought about removing them but never did so. Fortunately they look like new- no sign of leakage. I doubt they're any good anymore. I don't know if I still have a charger for them. As I recall my old charger bit the dust- one reason I quit RC. That plus my last destructo-crash! I still have the Accucell 6 though. But thats Lipo only I'm sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Accucell was a NiCd/NiMh charger
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

You got a charger that should work.

Id go with the slowstick personally, mainly because it was my first plane and im still flying mine.

If your in the us, check out www.headsuprc.com

They stock slowsticks and many motors and batteries that will work fine. My personal parts list from my last order from them.

Yellow slowstick
450 slowfly motor
11x5 apc prop.
30 amp esc (45 amp peak, only rated for 2-3 cells though)
2 9 gram servos.

Any 1000-2200 mah 3 cell will work fine, as well as virtually any 400-450 sized motor. Mine weighs 19oz with a 6oz 2200 3 cell. Id go with a heads up motor and pick anything from 20oz thrust on up.

Let us know which way you go, and glad to have you back.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 AM
onepoint

Thanks for the info! I had forgotten about Headsup. That Emax CF2822 looks very similar to the motor which was in my old Magpie and which still works....I think. Which has a bent screw in it from my last one point landing (my specialty lol). I'll have to research and find out its specs. Its still attached to an ESC. Which I think is an HK plush 25a. I'll have to get my power tester back. I loaned it out- which talking electrics with the guy is what got me back into it.
The only batteries I still have are some old 20C Rhino 610mah 2S lipos I stored. Light weight- less inertia when crashing

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:08 AM
onepoint

The motor I mentioned is a Tower Pro 2410-8T-4Y and according to research it uses 2-3S lipos and is 890kv producing (or is it consuming?) 84w. A 3mm shaft and suggested use of 9x4.7 SF or 10x4.7 prop. Suitable for a Slow Stick no? It is still mounted on a square stick motor mount too! Complete with a Turnigy Plush 25a ESC! Probably too big an ESC but heck it should work. 84w might have been marginal for that Magpie...
Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Yes, it should work okay, pretty marginal power depending on battery though. Mine actually has 365 watts, a bit over propped and well over 2:1, but i like to fly slow.

If your on 2 cells i wouldn't be afraid to try an 11" prop on it. I had any few tower pro motors and liked them, but i personally would want more thrust. Check and see if the motor is hot after a short 5 second full throttle burst. Make sure you have some locktight on that mount. They give easily.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Fyi, the stock brushed motor with gearbox flew well with 40 watts on 3 cells. I learned on a similar setup, but getting three mistakes high was a bit of a challenge.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 AM
onepoint

I got these little 610mah 2S lipos mainly for lesser weight. I prefer slow flight/floater type ops. My problem with the Magpie was that I covered it and the weight ballooned. Didn't take much of a nose up attitude to stall it- and the resulting vertical descent. I do have a tester by Medusa Research ( out of business) so I can see what I've got. Don't remember output from b4. I do still have a brushed motor/gearbox setup with a Pixie ESC but its a relic and I wanna go outrunner.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

It will work fine. Id personally double up your smaller batteries. This would give you 1200 ish mah for longer flight times. Just don't expect a ton of vertical, keep your speed up until you get used to it, and im sure you will be fine.

One thing i do with my fuse, it tends to crack easily. I add a small section of 5/16" round dowel and use expanding gorilla glue on it. This will help keep it from twisting and splitting. You can also very easily make a prop saver by drilling out an old double sided servo horn and using small cheap elastics.

One thing that's nice about the slowstick, you can fly it with virtually any size motor and battery with minimal work. I actually started out with a tower pro 2410(?), a 18 amp esc and 400mah 3 cell batteries left over from those little eflight helicopters. It worked well, but with any real throttle, battery would only last 3-4 minutes. If you kept the throttle under half, you might get a 6-8 minute flight from what i remember. This was about 4 years ago though.

Id stick with your tower pro and 2 cell setup, it will work fine if ya wanna stay cheap.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 AM
onepoint

I do have a couple prop savers. I got them when it became obvious the my prop destruction rate was high. I do have another power system- a Turnigy 2730- 1500/ Plush 12a which is installed on a Yak 54 I think it is. EPP foam so to bounce when striking the ground. Its pretty much assembled with a receiver and servos on it. Just need to figure out how to hang a battery on it. And the fact it has been sitting around for 3 or 4 years and the foam is deformed a bit. Tail feathers mostly.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 AM
maxflyer

The Eclipse 7 is a 2.4 GHz radio.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM
onepoint

It is now. It wasn't 12 years ago when I bought this one.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
onepoint

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
Fyi, the stock brushed motor with gearbox flew well with 40 watts on 3 cells. I learned on a similar setup, but getting three mistakes high was a bit of a challenge.

I have found the performance stats I took- back in 2010 lol. Using a fully charged 2S610mah lipo I got:

9070 prop 49w 7.2v 6.6a
1047 prop 46w 7.1v 6.4a
1060 prop 41w 7.3v 5.5a
1147 prop 53w 7.0v 7.4a

As light as it is using that little battery it should be good! I left the batteries in 'storage' state. I'm wondering if they have survived this long...
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

You got nothing to lose by trying it.

Let us know how it goes, and pictures are a must.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 AM
onepoint

Pictures........hmmmmmm. First I'd need to buy a camera. Then theres figuring out how to display them here. How do u guys take photos whilst flying? Heck I can't even keep it aloft let alone shoot photos at the same time!