Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My first RC plane. Dynam Albatros DVA, fail takeoff attempts.

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

My first RC plane. Dynam Albatros DVA, fail takeoff attempts.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I spent 9 months in a little place called Tabuk back during the first Gulf War............
I was based out of Jubail (eastern SA) and was supervising fuel supplies and also discharge of Military ships at start and reloading military gear such as M1's and Bradleys after GW1 ... I actually went more 'north' during the war than many contractors because of working on behalf of Saudi interests ..
I can tell a few stories about Patriots .. M1's etc.
I also knew guys involved in 'friendly fire' incidents that were hushed up. More lives were lost through that than from enemy fire.

One of our guys was in port during a Scud warning ... he got out of the port in the pick-up .. sat in the designated area ... went to sleep. He had the biggest shock when a Scud landed near .. physically picked up the car and shoved it across the sand ... We had to ship him out after ... he was a nervous wreck !

I also have the dubious distinction of standing on top of a Naphtha storage tank containing over 30,000 tons while B52's are going overhead ...

Myself and Peter McCleane were last guys into and first guys back into Ras Al Khafji ... a few stories on that as well !

Not too mention involved in getting people out of Kuwait through the lines ...

Just a stupid Brit doing his bit ...

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM
goldenahmd

I really would like to hear some stories from you sometime. Better to hear it from a veteran than some kind of a documentary where not everything is said.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I was based out of Jubail (eastern SA) and was supervising fuel supplies and also discharge of Military ships at start and reloading military gear such as M1's and Bradleys after GW1 ... I actually went more 'north' during the war than many contractors because of working on behalf of Saudi interests ..
I can tell a few stories about Patriots .. M1's etc.
I also knew guys involved in 'friendly fire' incidents that were hushed up. More lives were lost through that than from enemy fire.

One of our guys was in port during a Scud warning ... he got out of the port in the pick-up .. sat in the designated area ... went to sleep. He had the biggest shock when a Scud landed near .. physically picked up the car and shoved it across the sand ... We had to ship him out after ... he was a nervous wreck !

I also have the dubious distinction of standing on top of a Naphtha storage tank containing over 30,000 tons while B52's are going overhead ...

Myself and Peter McCleane were last guys into and first guys back into Ras Al Khafji ... a few stories on that as well !

Not too mention involved in getting people out of Kuwait through the lines ...

Just a stupid Brit doing his bit ...

Nigel
Cool stories!

We started out in the wrong place... so many troops and supplies were going in that September that they really didn't care, or know where things were landing. We were supposed to fly directly into Tabuk and setup the fire station for our F-15's from the 33rd FW, instead we landed in Dhahran, had to unload the trucks anyway and sat there for week sleeping on the hangar floor before being shuttled to Riyadh, spent another couple of weeks there putting up tents before finally getting to Tabuk. Got to go to Bahrain in early January for a few days but otherwise spent the rest of the time there in Tabuk launching and recovering Our F-15's the British Tornado's and the Saudi F-5's, well until the war started then they hid the F-5's and all that flew were us and the Brits.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

My Brother flew with Southern Air ... ex Air America ... bringing in various stuff to Dahran ..

I was in Damman Port day it all started and watched the Tornado's go out on the first strike to hit the airfields ...

I had just dropped of the Damman highway onto the Jubail one when the Tornado's shot across the road so low I near slammed my brakes on ... watching then go out ... sand and s**t billowing up behind them !

I better stop as I may post something I'm still not allowed to ...

BUT ... I have to say that I felt proud when I was going home at the end ... I went out via Bahrain.

It was the old terminal with the plate glass frontage to the runway.

Watching the usual traffic going out ... then it all stopped.

The black ugly KC10 tanker rolled up and lumbered skyward ... followed by 3 Jaguars in formation ... the 3 Tornado's again in V formation ... but what really brought the whole lounge to its feet and applauding were the 3 old ladies ... Buccaneers ....

They came down that runway in tight V formation ... wheels up without literally any height .. then climbed .. they split ... one left .. one right .. centre one just up and then they reformed coming back down and so low at full chat down that runway ... pulling up perfectly together and then off up north ...
I don't think there was anyone there not clapping ... for me it was a fitting end to my tour ... and I have to say I had tears ..

I think what made it more emotional .. I knew that being the end of the GW .. those pilots were likely on last flights with those aircraft. all Buccaneers were scrapped once GW1 was declared over.

Sorry .. I've hijacked OP's thread ... I could go on all day with stories from then ..

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

We need to get back to helping Mhd ....

Nigel
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
goldenahmd

Although I was enjoying reading the story XD. I have decided to go with Bix3 PNF

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50mm_PNF_.html

Along with a Turningy X9 9Ch

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by goldenahmd View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIPF-nJFBWI
took a while to upload. as you see, the motor makes a weird sound and doesnt spin properly at sometimes when i push the throttle, move it back then move it up again. Elevators are not moving when i move stick up or down (only the ailerons do). but they function properly when i move the stick left or right.
I think you are getting your controls mixed up. The ailerons are the things on the wings. When you move the Tx right hand stick to the right then the right aileron should go up and the left one goes down. Vice versa when you move the stick left.

The elevator is the thing at the back on the horizontal tail. When you pull the stick toward yourself the elevator should go upward (this makes the plane climb). Vice versa when you push the stick forward.

You havent mentioned rudder (the control surface on the vertical tail)but that's an important control too. When you move the left stick to the right then the rudder should also move to the right. Visa versa for left.

As this is a tail dragger (little wheel at back) take off can be quite tricky. You have to start with the elevator fully 'up' (stick back) until the plane gets rolling then gradually as you roll the throttle open let off the elevator so that the tail rises and the plane is running on it's front wheels only. When up to flying speed just slight back pressure on the elevator stick should see her lift off nicely.
All the while that you are doing this you are keeping the plane running straight with the rudder.

If this sounds hard then you are getting the idea
Old 11-12-2015, 07:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
We need to get back to helping Mhd ....

Nigel

That tends to happen here a lot, Why I like it here so much.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I've flown a Bixler and wouldn't recommend it for a raw beginner. The high mounted motor causes some strange flying characteristics which will make life difficult when you are starting off. The planes that Nigel (Solentlife) recommended or the Delta Ray I mentioned would be better choices in my opinion.

Having said that, the Bixler would be a far better option than the Albatross, so it's not all bad.

And by the way... you would be able to fly another plane perfectly ok with the transmitter you got with the Albatross, no need to buy another.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 PM
goldenahmd

Alright, i mistook the elevator and thought it was the ailerons. thanks for explaining. but my albatros ailerons move only when i move the right stick (mode 2) left/right. as for up/down only the elevator moves, is this normal? also my albatros was ready to fly, can I use its controller for a pnf? i thought i should have a controller like Dx5 spectrum, futaba, turningy or even the hobbyking radio.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

What you describe on the controls is 100% normal.

The transmitter will work with other planes providing you can get hold of suitable receivers, or transfer the receiver from the Albatross.

Having said that, the type of transmitter that comes with those ready to fly packages tends to be very basic so you might be better off getting a better one.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The Dynam RTF TX is OK... but beware the dial for "dual rates". You can dial it to no control. (and its easy to accidentally move the dial)

No computer, basic 2.4 ghz. The ones I have tested were the 4 ch and 6 ch and they did provide solid control with plenty of range.

If I buy one of the Dynam planes with the radio I tend to give the TX + RX away. There's not much cost difference between buying the RX ready + a battery and the full RTF package.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:27 AM
FlyinHigher

Default Loved my first "real" plane.

Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Yes. Put this plane away for a long time. If you get it flying you will likely destroy it.
The FT Versa is what really got me flying...that and invaluable help from my local club buddies. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 AM
wheelholder

Default beginner airplane

If you want an almost impossible to destroy and easy to fly , look at Crash Test Hobby . They sell EPP planes that are pretty much ARF's. The Albatross is one of the easiest planes I have ever flown. With ailerons , it is basic aerobatic. Uses inexpensive electronics and with it being EPP virtually indestructable.

Very nice company to work with. Link below.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/
Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

If the CTH Albatross were RTF we'd all be saying "Hobbyzone Champ? What's that?" Its that much better as a learner plane than anything on the market. Its only competition is its bigger and littler brothers, the CTH Pelican and CTH Storm Chaser. They are amazing planes.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Rodneh

I have not seen much mention of CG (center of gravity) mentioned here. That is probably the most important thing of all in order to fly a model. Most models show where it should be located. You need to shift any weight withing the model to the correct place to make the plane balance at the suggested CG location (or slightly in front of the suggested location) or you will never be able to control the model in flight. On an electric, usually the position of the battery is used to adjust location of the CG. If that is not possible, you actually have to add weights for or aft to achieve the desired CG location.