General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Fuselage Cooling Vents

Old 06-21-2016, 02:37 AM
sosterhaus

Default Fuselage Cooling Vents

Haven't found a lot on this topic so far. Just completed GP Avistar Elite ARF electric version except for cutting out the 6 -- 3 1/2" X 3/4" vent holes noted in manual. No comment on why, though assume for good cooling air flow. Prefer not to cut these holes unless critical for ESC and 4s lipo and not just to keep hatch cover from popping off. Would half of them, 1 fore of wings and 2 aft work?

Foamies do not generally have them except in cowl which is not the case here. Common sense would suggest real heat capture in foam, so bit confused. This is my first bigger, heavier plane.

Appreciate some guidance.

Steve O.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:49 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Cooling for the ESC and battery.

Basic rule of good cooling air flow is: 3X as much exit as entry.

Failing to cut the holes may or may not cause the aircraft to go up in flames. (literally) Lack of cooling will almost certainly reduce battery life and ESC life.

Note... I add cooling openings in the foam models that don't call for them.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I wouldn't cut them all. Try half and do some shorter flights and check your ESC temp.
I have never had an ESC get more than warm but I don't drive them like some do.
This makes a good point for telemetry and a temp sensor on the ESC so you can watch it.
So long as there is some airflow you will find the propwash and airspeed helps increase it.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:45 AM
sosterhaus

Thanks guys. Probably will open 3 of the 6 to start with as virtually no intakes or exits in fuselage which is probably not a good situation. Will start with a short flight and see how hot the ESC and battery get -- can always open the remaining 3. Understand the 3x exit recommendation, but will see how it goes.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Rodneh

If you are really serious about measuring the temperature of various devices, you should get yourself an infrared thermometer. This allows you to quickly measure the temperature of things hard to get to; just need to expose the sensor to the device--need not touch it--and you can do this quickly before any cooling off occurs.