RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

XtremeLink 2.4GHz module for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Default XtremeLink 2.4GHz module for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Anyone seen this yet.....

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xtremelink.php

A module for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radio systems to 2.4GHz.

It replaces the existing transmitter RF module and includes a brand new receiver.

It is full range or even more...... They say 5 miles of range, no frequency conflicts.

You can also get telemetry data like RPM/temps etc in realtime....

What do you guys think?

Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Here's the reply I got to my Email:
We will have products available for sale as they become available. We do not accept pre-orders. There are no firm release dates at this point. If you are a dealer, we will contact you when we have product available and setup your account at that time.

MSRP for the XtremeLink system will be as follows:

XtremeLink flight pack (one Tx module and one 8 channel receiver): $179
XtremeLink 8 channel receiver: $99
XtremeLink 10 channel receiver: $119
XtremeLink 16 channel receiver: $149 (not available until next year)
XtremeLink telemetry control unit: $129
Old 10-31-2006, 02:02 PM
CorsairJock

Count me in, unless something better comes along within the next few months.

I have been using Futaba radios for about 25 years. I had a plane 'shot down' at a club event about a month ago, and vowed that it will never happen again.

That said, I decided to begin transition to the new technolgy, but that meant that I would have to replace all my transmitter and recievers. At least with this setup, I can keep my (2) 9CAPs.

NOW, Fuataba needs to come out with a 2.4 MHz version of the 7CAP (I have 2 of those also, used primarily for my smaller electrics)
Old 11-12-2006, 03:37 PM
alexp

im in for sure, afew plus's that 2.4Ghz offers that i can think of..

- no crystal required ( eliminates another item that can fail and cost of item/replacement)

- no glitching, absolutely rock solid operation, impossible to glitch ( it was a BAD glitch that got me searching for this technlogy)

- never having to wait for a free channel - just turn on and your tx hunts for free channels and locks two together(spektrum) or a variation (xtremelink) with absolutely no chance of interferrence from another user.

- no getting shot down , its impossible to operate on the same 'frequency' (either mallicious acts or people turning on tx in car park etc etc) your control to your plane is encripted to a very high level.

- all model generated 'noise' from motors, speed controllers, bad bearings, metal-to-metal etc exists below 300Mhz. so at 2400Mhz(2.4Ghz) we will be above the noise!

- 2.4Ghz is very short, so required antenna is very short ( xtemelink tx and rx antennas are only 1.2" !! ) so no poked eyes, bent antennas ,etc

- 2.4Ghz is internationally recognised so the same equipment can be used globally.

- Spektrum DX7 locks model number also and wont work if selected on the wrong model number.

- ultra fast, 5.6ns response time

- ultra precise - DX6/7 4096 resolution (futaba 14MZ is 2048)
- xtremelink is 65536!!!

- 40% less current draw

- digital servos dont chatter (xtremlink) as the response time is faster than the rate of info of the servos ( like we currently experience with non digital servos with our current radios)

- xtemelink is bi-directional ,it sends info back so can be used for real time telemetry

i can't wait
Old 11-12-2006, 04:03 PM
CorsairJock

alexp: those are the same reasons that sparked my interest in this new techknology.

My beautiful Hangar 9 Hellcat was 'shot down' at a big event in north west Kentucky about 2 months ago, by some idiot (don't know who, but it was obvious to all who witnessed it that I was 'hit') who turned on his transmitter while my Hellcat was flying.

In my 25 years of flying, this is the 1st time I lost a plane because of being 'hit', and I immediately began searching for ways to prevent it from happening again.

My 1st thoughts were 'I'll purchase one of the portable frequency scanners, and keep it on me'.

Then, I went back and re-read the articles about the Spectrum 6 & 7 systems, and eventually stumbled onto this thread which will allow me to keep my 2 Futaba 9CAPs.

By next spring, I plan on having ALL of my larger aircraft converted over. Anybody want to buy some R127DFs, R148DFs, and/ or R148DPs?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0002.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	19023  
Old 11-12-2006, 04:33 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Thats a really nice plane there corsairjock. I knew about this new thing already as my father has been reading about it on RCGroups and well I think it is great, if it ever comes out my father is going to buy one for his Hitec eclipse, and I just might end up with a Ecplise or something else.

My father owns the spectum module for his JR RC truck radio and it has worked great, so many rc truck and car guys have already switched, the price for the rc tx are the same at $179.00 but its well worth it.

I think this is great cant wait till they realase it.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:57 PM
CorsairJock

Originally Posted by Foamiesrfun View Post
Thats a really nice plane there corsairjock.
Thnaks, but the words "That was" should replace "Thats".
My hand painted cowl is history. It was fortunate that Robart was able to locate and ship to me a replacement part for their very old, LONG out of production #102 mechanical rotating retracats that I installed (landing gear came down when I was 'hit').
Wings is repairable, but I am looking into replacing fuselage, tail, and of course: cowl.
Saito .91 was also slightly damaged, but repairable.

NO MORE! I want a radio system that cannot be shot down by some other idiot.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
SBE

Anybody able to fill in on the position
of Graupner/JR M24 Tx's/receivers?

They changed over to the synthisers
without any bother.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:05 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Hi guys! I've been absent for a while, which I now intend to rectify.

According to Jim Drew, the man behind this system, he will be creating a "generic" module that will work for any transmitter that does not use a module system, as long as the transmitter has a trainer port.

Otherwise, all module-based radios will have a direct fit module replacement that will be 2.4gHz (with a slight mod for the 12Z and 14MZ).

In addition to the pricing listed above, XPS has also decided to do a 6-ch "parkflyer" Rx, which will retail for $59, and the flight pack (1 module & 1 6-ch Rx) will retail for $139.

One advantage XPS has over the recently announced Spektrum modules is that XPS has bi-directional communications, maening the Tx and Rx communicate back and forth with each other, instead of just the Tx sending signals to the Rx.

These are expected to start selling near the end of this month, but no later than the start of the Toledo show in mid-April.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 AM
CorsairJock

DAMN: I shouda kept my 7CAP!
I use a 7CAP as my second radio, with a 9CAP delegated to models that need all those bells and whistles.
And altho Futaba is coming out with a 2.4 GHz 6EA, they just don't cut it in my book. The 7CAP is SO much better, and I couldn't do with anything less.
Up till now, the only issue has been that it is NOT module based, but now it appears that it doesn't matter.
Oh, and as for the Spectrum 7 channel radios: I just couldn't live with those memory batteries either, which could die and loose all memory at the least convient time.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Mike Freas

Don't believe the hipe! This "system" has been advertised for over a year and I don't know one person that owns one. Rumor has is they sold the rights to Spektrum but I don't know that for sure.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:43 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Mike,

Don't believe everything you hear. I just talked to the man himself. The biggest hold-up has been getting plastic produced for the modules and rx cases. There is a large shipment coming in this week, then it's about 3-4 weeks for assembly and QA testing.

XPS has committed to having this system available for sale at least by the Toledo Show which starts on April 13th. But more than likely it will be available for purchase on their website before that.

As for Spektrum, they saw the potential for this system and hurried their own modules to market (even though Paul Beard insisted time and again that Spektrum would not do modules because of latency issues). And even though you can pre-order them now, they will not be available until late April, early May according to current information. Plus, they will not be backwards compatible with the AR6000 DSM1 receivers. You have to go with the AR6100 or better.

The only talks XPS has had with an outside company has been with Hobbico, and that is only for the possibility of a sole distributorship of the product, in addition to it being available on the XPS website. Oh, and it was only announced last September. A far cry from a year as you claim (more like 6 months).

This system is real. I have seen it, touched it, played with it, and seen it flown on several occassions. It should be for sale at the end of this month. My JR XP8103 is going to be very happy!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:09 AM
SBE

Thanks Pat, you have saved me a bundle!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I should also state that I am in no way affiliated with XPS, and I am by no means a "cheerleader" or "company shill" for them. I am simply a flyer who wants to get to 2.4gHz, but also retain all the features and functions of my JR8103 (not to mention all the programming I already have set up for my planes).

Had Spektrum (or any mfgr for that matter) gotten modules on the market before now, you can bet that I would be flying them right now.

I have no interest in buying a totally new radio. My current one does everything I need it to do. And out of everything that is currently available, or will soon be to market, IMHO XPS has the best system and best pricing available.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:23 PM
WaldoXerxes

Just thought I'd bring up this thread again to say that Xtremelink is now being sold online.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Deserves another bump. Some changes have been made since the intial release based on flight reports from 2.4GHz RF rich environments (2 fields in Las Vegas). There is now a new antenna for the TX module. This has increased list prices by $10.

They currently offer packages with 8 and 10-ch RX's for $189 and $209 respectively. The 6-ch option is almost complete, and should retail for $149. Each package comes with a TX module of choice and 1 RX.

Additional RX's are:

6-ch: $59 (estimated, when available)
8-ch: $99
10-ch: $119

They are also working on 12 and 16-ch RX options, telemetry options (provides realtime data on a screen attached to your TX), modules for EVA and Profi radios, and a universal module that will work with ANY radio as long as it has a trainer port.

The newest TX and RX versions will be field upgradable with a wireless link system currently under development.

I have been flying this system in my JR XP8103 for almost a month now, and I absolutely love it! I can't wait until the 6-ch RX's are available so that I can upgrade my entire fleet.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:15 PM
vadimpelau

Default Wow!

And has anyone of you bought/ tried one of theese?
They sure look interesting to me
I'm curious if they'll work on my WK 1001(JR 8103 clone)

I've read something on their site about Firmware... they've said something about modulation support S-PCM Z-PCM and so on... anything about this you know?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I have one for my JR 8103 and I absolutely love it! If the WK1001 is a clone, then it should work fine.

They are currently working on support for PCM, but it is not completed yet. Right now it only supports PPM. They are also working on a device that will wirelessly update the firmware for the TX module and RX. And 6-ch RX's should be available soon.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
vadimpelau

Default Ppm/pcm

Intresting... so it doensn't suport PCM...
As far as i know PCM is a lot more stable than PPM.
But how does that apply in 2.4 Ghz mode?
I've seen on the forums it's a lot more precise;could you explain it quickly?

And please post a photo of the back of your transmitter or of the bach module.I have this strangest feeling walkera might have inverted some connections there

Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I'll take some pics for you tonight (still at work right now) and will post them either here, or one of the RCGroups threads you have posted to. I will also give you the opening dimensions on my TX case, and the number of pins.

I have never used PCM, so I do not know what the difference is between PCM and PPM. But I have heard heli pilots say that they very much like the XPS system in PPM as it gives them a more "locked in" feeling, and the responsiveness seems better. As far as stable, I'd have to say that the 2.4GHz systems are as stable as you can get.

A few weekends ago I flew several of my planes in rapid succession. All but one was still on 72MHz PPM. When I flew the model with XPS, I could immediately tell a difference in responsiveness.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
vadimpelau

Default Thanks

Can't wait to see the pics
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Sorry I did not get pics last night. Came home to a sick family and had to administer to them. Hopefully tonight.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:11 AM
vadimpelau

Default Anytime

Sorry for your trouble.
When you have time it's ok.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 05:13 AM
olmod

Bought one ,tested it ,flew it ,liked it so bought more
the rx is not much bigger than a JR610,no dangly wires ,no glitches.
GO FOR IT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0331.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	33481  
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
vadimpelau

Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Bought one ,tested it ,flew it ,liked it so bought more
the rx is not much bigger than a JR610,no dangly wires ,no glitches.
GO FOR IT
Ummmm...
But i need the pics to the back of the 8103 and of the module

Thanks anyway

Quick Reply: XtremeLink 2.4GHz module for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12135 seconds with 15 queries