Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I have those planes now

Old 06-20-2015, 01:37 PM
woodmangler

Default I have those planes now

The planes were delivered and I paid the guy... so now I am in possession of two HUGE airplanes.

The engines are very large. I have been a woodworker for over 40 years, and I am very impressed with the quality of the workmanship on these planes!

I was also very happy at their condition. I can find a few tiny wrinkles in the (monocote?) covering, but it is very obvious these planes have never crashed and have been cared for.

It is also obvious that there is NO way I am going to get even close to flying these planes. Not a chance. They are way out of my league.

I am in Columbus Ga - who wants to trade!

Seriously, these need to go to someone who can handle them... not me.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Rodneh

How about some pictures and descriptions of the planes?
Old 06-20-2015, 05:45 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
How about some pictures and descriptions of the planes?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76046
Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 AM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Dude, do we really need all these new threads
Old 06-21-2015, 01:25 AM
woodmangler

Originally Posted by Swiss Flyer View Post
Dude, do we really need all these new threads
Wow... that really bothers you?

My apologies... so many rules I dont know...
Old 06-21-2015, 01:54 AM
birdDog
Charging....

lol
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 AM
woodmangler

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
lol
Since I seem to be the only one posting... you know, didn't even occur to me.

By the way, please capitalize "LOL" - I'll let you go this time but...
Old 06-21-2015, 03:03 AM
Romans5.8

Why not join a good club in your area that will have the room to fly them, and sharpen skills to be able to fly those big wooden birds?

Wish I was closer; I'd buy 'em from ya!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by woodmangler View Post
Wow... that really bothers you?

My apologies... so many rules I dont know...
No worries.....

But it is customary to keep same subject in one thread ! But I too am 'guilty' of multi-posting at times.

I agree with Romans - why sell on ? Get with a club or group ... then graduate to fly them.

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 11:01 AM
woodmangler

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No worries.....

But it is customary to keep same subject in one thread ! But I too am 'guilty' of multi-posting at times.

I agree with Romans - why sell on ? Get with a club or group ... then graduate to fly them.

Nigel
I would love to fly these... they really look great.

I am in Columbus Ga, land of... nothing. We don't even have a hobby store here.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:12 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I would love to fly these... they really look great.

I am in Columbus Ga, land of... nothing. We don't even have a hobby store here.
You wanna see Latvia !!

Any decent field you find - has power lines criss-crossing it ... owner doesn't like anyone on his land .... the crap that trots out to stop anyone enjoying themselves ..

Hobby Shop ? 3 hours drive TO ... high prices or if price is good - its old discontinued stock usually with odd stuff missing like Pilot Head, pants, wing bolts .... one even I had to search THEIR shop to get the motor mount cage put back in !! (They took it out to copy on laser machine and never put it back !).... 3 hrs drive home.

So tell me about it. HK may be the pits - but it's really only wide ranging avenue I have.

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 01:38 PM
woodmangler

You wanna see Latvia !!

Any decent field you find - has power lines criss-crossing it ... owner doesn't like anyone on his land .... the crap that trots out to stop anyone enjoying themselves ..

Hobby Shop ? 3 hours drive TO ... high prices or if price is good - its old discontinued stock usually with odd stuff missing like Pilot Head, pants, wing bolts .... one even I had to search THEIR shop to get the motor mount cage put back in !! (They took it out to copy on laser machine and never put it back !).... 3 hrs drive home.

So tell me about it. HK may be the pits - but it's really only wide ranging avenue I have.

Nigel
I was just letting you know there are no clubs here... so joining a club and getting help flying these monster planes is really not an option
Old 06-21-2015, 02:21 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I was just letting you know there are no clubs here... so joining a club and getting help flying these monster planes is really not an option
No No .... fully understood ...

Shame as they look to be pretty good machines ...

Why not shelve and leave for better days when you are more confident ?

Even though this is a WATTflyer forum ... I'm sure there are many here who can help with the engine side !!

Nigel
Old 06-21-2015, 03:11 PM
woodmangler

No No .... fully understood ...

Shame as they look to be pretty good machines ...

Why not shelve and leave for better days when you are more confident ?

Even though this is a WATTflyer forum ... I'm sure there are many here who can help with the engine side !!

Nigel
Funny thing really.... and if you had asked me a couple months ago if I would have even slightly entertained the idea of flying these I would have said "not a chance" .... but now... these planes look so great!

I have over 40 years woodworking experience... so I was really looking at how these were constructed - well within my skill level.

What is NOT within my skill level is the aerodynamics involved.

I love learning new stuff though... so, who knows
Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Romans5.8

I thought the same thing; nothing around. No hobby shops, why would there be clubs?

Turns out there are three. Within 25 minutes. In the middle of huge corn fields.

A cursory glance of the AMA's website reveals one in Columbus, Georgia. No less than a dozen independent clubs with their own fields within 75 miles, within several being less than 30 miles away. Paved runways at some, well maintained grass runways at the other. All with huge open flying areas, pavilions, bathrooms. Some may have on-site electricity for charging (most do). The one in columbus looks big enough to fly anything you could possibly want. The club I belong to is so huge that one concern is crop dusters who routinely land to take a break! Nothing like a turboprop powered full-scale airplane landing just past the flight line!

Many will let you visit, some will even let you fly once or twice for free. Either way, it makes the hobby an entirely new thing to be a part of a club. You learn a lot, you have help and tips. When I was newer at the hobby; one thing I really appreciated was having experience club mates maiden new planes for me; like the ones you have (used planes bought from someone else). Experienced pilots getting them up and trimmed off and identifying any problems is such a relief. Plus, being able to observe the airplane and it's flying characteristics before taking off is a huge benefit.

Not to beat the issue, but check those guys out right there in town, or one of the other ones nearby. (Personally, I drive past a closer club to a club that's a little farther. It has nicer facilities and more experienced people.)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM
woodmangler

Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I thought the same thing; nothing around. No hobby shops, why would there be clubs?

Turns out there are three. Within 25 minutes. In the middle of huge corn fields.

A cursory glance of the AMA's website reveals one in Columbus, Georgia. No less than a dozen independent clubs with their own fields within 75 miles, within several being less than 30 miles away. Paved runways at some, well maintained grass runways at the other. All with huge open flying areas, pavilions, bathrooms. Some may have on-site electricity for charging (most do). The one in columbus looks big enough to fly anything you could possibly want. The club I belong to is so huge that one concern is crop dusters who routinely land to take a break! Nothing like a turboprop powered full-scale airplane landing just past the flight line!

Many will let you visit, some will even let you fly once or twice for free. Either way, it makes the hobby an entirely new thing to be a part of a club. You learn a lot, you have help and tips. When I was newer at the hobby; one thing I really appreciated was having experience club mates maiden new planes for me; like the ones you have (used planes bought from someone else). Experienced pilots getting them up and trimmed off and identifying any problems is such a relief. Plus, being able to observe the airplane and it's flying characteristics before taking off is a huge benefit.

Not to beat the issue, but check those guys out right there in town, or one of the other ones nearby. (Personally, I drive past a closer club to a club that's a little farther. It has nicer facilities and more experienced people.)
I have checked on a couple of those... web sites no longer exist, email kicked back as undeliverable...

I'll keep searching... thanks
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Romans5.8

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Even if they are a bit of a drive, an entire day can fly by (pun intended) at a club field. Spend a Saturday on a nice drive past a few, if they aren't populated, benches, tables or freshly cut grass can clue you in to if they are still in service. Don't let a 40 minute drive hold you back. Packing a lunch and a few models can make for a nice day.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Romans5.8

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Even if they are a bit of a drive, an entire day can fly by (pun intended) at a club field. Spend a Saturday on a nice drive past a few, if they aren't populated, benches, tables or freshly cut grass can clue you in to if they are still in service. Don't let a 40 minute drive hold you back. Packing a lunch and a few models can make for a nice day.
+1

So my current club has a website. Looks spiffy. It even has a message board! Do you know my original post from several years ago asking for info still, to this day, has no answers? And it's only on like... page 2? There is no club contact info except for an e-mail address that is never checked. It's a classic case of some well-meaning person in the club saying "Gee, I can make us a website!", and nobody else offering any support. Turns out there is contact info buried in an obscure corner of a newsletter that you can find and dig through. Folks figured that was good enough.

So one day I drove by the field. Grass was cut, flyers were on the bulletin board. As I was getting ready to leave, someone pulled in. Introduced himself, showed me his cool giant scale Extra 300. Before I knew it, more people were showing up, and I was there all night. Foamies, giant scale turbine jets, gassers, electrics. It was a really fun day. I joined and have been a member ever since. Not always extremely active (I'm not one whose there every week without fail, like some), but it's a great group of guys. I'm glad I took the drive out just to see what was going on, instead of being discouraged by a less-than-helpful website.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 PM
woodmangler

+1

So my current club has a website. Looks spiffy. It even has a message board! Do you know my original post from several years ago asking for info still, to this day, has no answers? And it's only on like... page 2? There is no club contact info except for an e-mail address that is never checked. It's a classic case of some well-meaning person in the club saying "Gee, I can make us a website!", and nobody else offering any support. Turns out there is contact info buried in an obscure corner of a newsletter that you can find and dig through. Folks figured that was good enough.

So one day I drove by the field. Grass was cut, flyers were on the bulletin board. As I was getting ready to leave, someone pulled in. Introduced himself, showed me his cool giant scale Extra 300. Before I knew it, more people were showing up, and I was there all night. Foamies, giant scale turbine jets, gassers, electrics. It was a really fun day. I joined and have been a member ever since. Not always extremely active (I'm not one whose there every week without fail, like some), but it's a great group of guys. I'm glad I took the drive out just to see what was going on, instead of being discouraged by a less-than-helpful website.
You're making assumptions that I am discouraged. Not at all. My last statement was "I will keep searching" and I will.

I am going to drive there Saturday and see what I can see... hopefully I will see planes flying
Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Romans5.8

You're making assumptions that I am discouraged. Not at all. My last statement was "I will keep searching" and I will.

I am going to drive there Saturday and see what I can see... hopefully I will see planes flying
Sorry, I didn't communicate well. I was simply reflecting that I was discouraged when I was in your shoes. But really, really glad I took the initiative to drive out there. It was only meant to add fuel to your fire!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 AM
woodmangler

Sorry, I didn't communicate well. I was simply reflecting that I was discouraged when I was in your shoes. But really, really glad I took the initiative to drive out there. It was only meant to add fuel to your fire!
You did!

The more I read what you guys have to say, the more I want to find a club.

So far it has just been me - with an occasional spectator when I fly at work during my lunch time.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Bud I am telling you if you will make this drive you will NOT be disappointed.

All you need to be able to fly there is AMA membership. There are soo many great flyers down there that will either help you get those birds flying or buy the ones you don't want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hodges.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	181081  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

When I lived in uk ... I had clubs around me but I still made the 1hr drive - that's a long drive at uk prices ! - to a flying site that had excellent facilities, some of the best flyers .... the education received was priceless.
Another site was where I slope soared - again one of the best sites - in fact later I moved house nearer to it !

If I had continued going it alone - I am sure I would have bankrupted myself or left the hobby.

Making effort to drive to a good club site is worth it .... even if you only do it as an extra to your usual local.

1 or 2 visits a month should have you sorted and well on way to enjoying those birds !

Nigel
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Since I seem to be the only one posting... you know, didn't even occur to me.

By the way, please capitalize "LOL" - I'll let you go this time but...
Don't worry about it. It's just that since the different threads reference each other it becomes a little hard to follow what's going on with you. You've come a long, long way.

You remind me of Fishbonez, who couldn't keep a Super Cub in the air and had disaster after disaster with that plane. He named it "Flirtin' with Disaster" and still flies it today. But he kept at it and can outfly me ten times over today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9le25OYLL8I

Yea, that's a 4S EDF jet and he makes me sick!

The then there was mclarckson. He was a guy in the windy plains states who couldn't seem to keep a Parkzone Radian in the air. Was very frustrated. Today he also flies circles around me, builds lots of his own planes, flies those disgustingly difficult EDFs and does some great videos!
https://vimeo.com/channels/marksflightvids/57421095

In the contest between water and rock the water almost always wins. Just look at the Grand Canyon.

Quick Reply: I have those planes now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14206 seconds with 14 queries