General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Please help batt for TX

Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Highpines

Default Please help batt for TX

I have looked everywhere for a battery pac for my old "GWS Dream Starter GWT4aII..old batts won't take charge..getting back into fly'n and is frustrating...Any help where to find would be great...Thank you..
Old 04-22-2017, 09:17 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer! Doesn't this take alkalines? It's an FM radio right? Why not take the plunge into 2.4 ?

Hawk
Old 04-22-2017, 09:56 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Looks like an 8.4v NIMH pack. You may be able to find a new one of similar size and solder the plug from your old one on to the new one.

Edit: Reread and see that you cannot find the old one.

I'm with dawawk. If you are certain you are getting back into flying, spend that battery money on a 2.4gHz radio system upgrade. You will find that it was money well spent.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 PM
Vic Z

Sorry to barge into your question HP, but I have a tx battery question as well.
I had a DX6i and the batteries would last for a month or more. I upgraded to the e model and they suck down in about 3 or 4 days of flying. Do most guys run lipos in their tx's, or do you just keep the battery industry fed?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 AM
birdDog
Charging....

I miss my old DX7. Upgraded the voltage regulator to run 3cell LiPo, got a 2600mAh pack from HK and could fly for days. It was great. Now my newer DX7 (v2 I guess, the black one) can run low inside of one day of heavy flying. I have to carry the charger along side it in the case.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:07 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

My DX-9 has a lithium ion but have been looking to go a Pulse Lipo after see a buddy's. He goes a few months without having to re-charge.

Highpines, you can get a turnigy 9x for less than $100.00 if the entry fee is too high. Nice radio . Just ask Nigel( solentlife). Very few guys still flying 72 or 25 for that matter.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:19 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Vic Z View Post
Sorry to barge into your question HP, but I have a tx battery question as well.
I had a DX6i and the batteries would last for a month or more. I upgraded to the e model and they suck down in about 3 or 4 days of flying. Do most guys run lipos in their tx's, or do you just keep the battery industry fed?

Thanks,
Vic
Many who use "newer" (but discontinued) Spectrum TX's like the DX6i and higher, have converted to compatible lipo packages available at various outlets like Horizon.....That said, many like myself, use rechargeable 1.2v/1.5v, 2400mAh, HR6/NiMH batteries made by Duracell and Energizer........Those I know who do the same have found very little issue with the longevity during operation (5 to 6 hours min. of constant use), and as far as storage life, once fully charged, still have available 5.3v to 5.5v available after sitting idle for more than a month.............that's been our experience with HR6/NiMH rechargeables....... properly charged and stored.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I just use NiMH in my new DX6. I have a spare set that I carry in my TX case but I never had to swap them in the field yet. I just charge them at my leisure.
In my Taranis it is a different matter and I use a LiPo in that and it lasts a month or two.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Mostly I use NiMH in the AA cell radios - Grundig. They are Low Self Discharge and typically give about 9hrs life. Occasionally I leave radio on and see how long before low battery alarm sounds.
One of my 9x's has ar9x board in it and uses a LiFe battery. The other with Smartieparts has NiMH.
My 9xr's have 3s lipo's in.

Basically I charge my radios maybe once every 6 weeks or so --- sometimes longer.

Nigel
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Rodneh

I have been using Eneloop batteries in my Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and Tactic radios. They hold a charge as well as the LiPos do and can use a standard NiCad charger. Like all NiCads, I charge at a low rate (0.1C) overnight. I usually charge them once they are down to 1.1/1.2 volts/ per cell which is ever week when flying every day. These are the 2000 mah cells which are AA size.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Highpines

Thanx to all for support..Found the prob with NIMH batts forTX to be the solder connection on plug in to charger had come loose..so re-soldered and all is good..Feel like a dummy though. Will check out the Turnigy" hopefully it will be easy to program...