General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Anyone use Flaps?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:02 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Default Anyone use Flaps?

I am rebuilding an E-Flite Deuces Wild.
Twin power 25's with contra-rotating props.
I have seen this plane fly, I never though I would be able to buy it.

The thing that confuses me is the assembly manuals information about the flaps.

The manual tells me to use 1 1/8" deflection on takeoff and 5/8" on landing.

These numbers must be reversed, every plane I have seen with flaps uses some on takeoff but a lot more when landing.

The plane will weigh almost 10 lbs and it is very streamlined so I need something to slow it down, other than a parachute.

What are your thoughts about the flaps?
Anyone else fly a Deuces Wild?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:21 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Strange indeed because Flaps should be stated in Degrees of deflection, not inches. Just keep in mind with full flaps requires quite a bit of power to stay in the air.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Strange indeed because Flaps should be stated in Degrees of deflection, not inches. Just keep in mind with full flaps requires quite a bit of power to stay in the air.
True but for most modelers, they can measure deflection in inches a lot easier than in degrees.

1 1/8" down is about 30 degrees
5/8" down is around 15 degrees
Old 07-07-2017, 06:59 AM
F22trainer

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I am rebuilding an E-Flite Deuces Wild.
Twin power 25's with contra-rotating props.
I have seen this plane fly, I never though I would be able to buy it.

The thing that confuses me is the assembly manuals information about the flaps.

The manual tells me to use 1 1/8" deflection on takeoff and 5/8" on landing.

These numbers must be reversed, every plane I have seen with flaps uses some on takeoff but a lot more when landing.

The plane will weigh almost 10 lbs and it is very streamlined so I need something to slow it down, other than a parachute.

What are your thoughts about the flaps?
Anyone else fly a Deuces Wild?
Cool airplane! Congrats.
Full flaps on landing, except in the wind should make for a nice approach and landing with power in case you need to go around, but a nice slow final segment.
A few intentional ones will give you a nice feel for the right speed. But even the first setting will produce noticeable results, for reducing speed and increased descent rate. Full flaps on take off? Be ready for the vertical transition - but with those engines it should it still accelerate.
Have fun and share the pic's! Parachute does seem to be a strong selling point for Cirrus.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 AM
F22trainer

BTW, I think they are counter rotating - contra rotating is 2 propellers on the same shaft rotating in the opposite direction. Quite expensive for a model.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Beautiful plane. I sold mine a few years ago. Quite the collectors item.

On planes like this, I deploy take off flaps on the the downwind then full flaps as I make the base. Once I turn to final I'm already established. So it's just throttle control from there. Might have to add a slight down elevator mix to prevent ballooning. I use a very slow servo setting on my DX9 and normally don't need a mix.

For take off , it depends on the wind conditions. Sometimes I apply take off flaps but if there's a good headwind, not needed.

Yes, take video. The Deuces is one of the best Eflight planes ever produced.

Hawk.

P.S. I'd go with twin 32's as a minimum. Maybe twin 46's.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Rodneh

Yes, you will probably have to program some "down" elevator mix with the flaps to control excessive ballooning when you deploy the flaps.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I guess I was kind of sleepy when I typed the first post.

Yes they are counter-rotating props.
There is a recommended elevator compensation with flaps.
I have a slow servo setting on my JR 9303's
The plane came with the power 25's so it will be awhile before I can afford to up the power, I may (probably) have to replace the batteries first.

I am leaving on a month long RV trip to Wyoming next week, I don't have the time to triple check everything and try to get in a maiden flight before I leave, so it will be 6 weeks or so before I can maiden it.

I had to do a lot of work, the motor nacelles were almost ready to fall off, there wasn't much holding them in place when I started poking around.
E-Flite is kind of stupid, they painted the inside of the fiberglass nacelles with the gloss paint used on the outside. Then they tell you to glue the nacelles to the wing with 6 minute epoxy. That seems to work until you start really looking and checking things. Just the tip of an Exacto blade at the edge of the glue would pop the whole joint loose.
I removed everything and then carefully sanded the paint off without damaging the fiberglass, not trying to get every speck off. Cleaned with alcohol then re-glued every thing with West System's G-flex epoxy, expensive, but it bonds very well.
The firewalls were starting to come apart and loose from the nacelles so I had to fix them also.