common sense rc - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

common sense rc

Old 05-28-2006, 12:04 AM
thomdoe

Default common sense rc

I have waited until I used these lipos before I said anything. They had a sale that I saw on WATTFLYER, I took them up on the deal. GREAT price. Let's see if the batts. smoke, I run everything I have very hard. These batts. are great. I DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. I JUST LIKE THE BATTS. Keith
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 AM
abramsgunner

I have their ballance charger and 4 of their 3s packs as well... no problems, nice gear, nice price....
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I have 3 of their packs and the balancing charger as well. No problems here either. Great price and service too. I'll most likely purchace all my Lipos from them so they'll all be the same.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 AM
123Cat
3 Cell Graduate , Yo

Default My 1650MAH Common Sense

Had a bad smell coming from where the wires joined in, when I soldered my ends on, but, after 4 flights its real good and no smell
Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 AM
thomdoe

I got 4 packs, 2 2100's and 2 1100's both 16 C. One 1100 had a swollen cell. After contact, two days new pack. As I said I run hard I have had planes burning on the way down. Everybody LOL. These guys have good batts. Again I DON'T know them, I have no stock in them. Just a heads up to a good deal. Keith
Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
qban_flyer

Question

Honestly speaking, your posts confuse me.

First you open a new thread and state the packs are great, and that you wanted to wait to try them out before posting about their quality. I would think it is the only way anyone can vouch for the quality of anything, by testing and using the product first.

Now you post stating that one of the packs you got had a swollen cell. Which one is your valid evaluation? The first one from 5-27-06 or the one just posted (5-30-06)?

Shouldn't you have included that second tidbit on your first post?
Shouldn't you waited before rushing to post?
Is this a joke?

Old 06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
jonnyjetprop

I think the second post was about the customer service he received

John
Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
qban_flyer

Question

Me too. But I don't understand the nature of post #5. It gives totally opposed results to those posted on #1 by the same person.

Why post about something unless the product has been used for at least several weeks under real life conditions, just to make sure one is giving valid results on said product? I believe he should have waited before rushing out to the keyboard to post about it.

I have never reported about anything before I used the item for at least four weeks. Two or three days of usage does not tell me anyting about a given item's expected longevity and or its quality. :o

I can't (and won't) vouch for something I have not used myself. :o

Old 06-03-2006, 03:14 AM
thomdoe

I guess what I ment was the service is great, and after use the batts. are also. When you get to an age like mine you think your finger picking is going as slow as your mind. thanks for making me take another look. the reason I posted was because 1 service 2 I push the batts. hard they did not get warm. I thought people would like to take a look. Again MY BAD I did not know there were rules to posting. If you could guide me to this spot I will try not to make any mistakes again. K
Old 06-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

No rule on that thomdoe, just those folks stating their opinions. Voice your 2 cents and enjoy the site!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Battlemg

Some people really need to find something to do when they retire.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Unfortunately they do...its called RC'ing! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I have a couple of commonsense packs. They are of the 3S 2100 mah variety. Was thinking about purchasing their Blinky to use as a checker and balancer. Anyone using it and what do you like/dislike about it?
I charge my lipos on a Triton and a PolyCharge 4. I don't use any sort of balancing unit but I think I had better start. I have around a dozen lipo packs but none of them has been really pushed hard to the point of being really hot and swelling.

Dave...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:13 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit View Post
Unfortunately they do...its called RC'ing! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I have a couple of commonsense packs. They are of the 3S 2100 mah variety. Was thinking about purchasing their Blinky to use as a checker and balancer. Anyone using it and what do you like/dislike about it?
I charge my lipos on a Triton and a PolyCharge 4. I don't use any sort of balancing unit but I think I had better start. I have around a dozen lipo packs but none of them has been really pushed hard to the point of being really hot and swelling.

Dave...
Well said Dave.

At least we have made it this far, now we can do whatever we wish with "our time" while the rest does with "theirs" what we had to do before we got to the "retirement" stop. :p

I am beginning to believe that swelling, puffing or whatever and longevity of Li-Pos has to do with cell quality first and foremost more than anything else. Overcharging and overdischarging them will in all likelihood lead to cell and or pack failure, but first and foremost one has to begin with a good quality. Cheap cells a good pack won't make. Packs made from those cells won't perform, much less last.

A well designed and mass produced balanced charger will go a long ways in caring for our expensive Li-Po packs and are well worth the investment.

One has to check the "Li-Po Sales" some manufacturers are having and to read the disclaimers attached to said sales. The ones that first and foremost tell me the packs they are selling are "ten months old up front" I will avoid like the plague. I have no way of knowing how old the packs really are, just as I am sure said seller has no way of knowing how old the stuff being sold really is, either.

I don't think a ten month old Li-Po pack shoudl be considered "old" or for it to have to carry such a disclaimer. When the reseller warns about such a fact a red flag goes up immediately, especially when he/she is trying to get them out of his or her sight with a "making room for new stock" argument (?).

I know of a certain Li-Po brand that has been sitting on a LHS shelf since 12-03, pack voltage measured at the LHS on those packs average 6.72V on a two cell pack and 10.09V for the three cell packs after having sat on a shelf for almost three years. I got me a couple and charged them (no balance connectors on those) on my Triton. The two cell packs came up to 8.39V and the three cell one to 12.36V at the end of charge cycle. The packs have performed admirably for the past three weeks.

It proves to me that a well designed and executed Li-Po pack should have its longevity measured in years, not in months while sitting idle on a distributor or LHS shelf.

I am sure that Common Sense RC sells a superb product. I've been to their web site many times since they began selling Li-Pos. I have always liked their no nonsense approach to C rating. They are specifically telling the potential end user what to expect of their packs under real life usage. I believe this is the only way the end user can make an educated choice before forking out hard earned cash.

I also saw the folks at 3DX Hobbies use Common Sense RC packs on their AirfoilZ YAK-54, Edge 540 and Mobius when demonstrating them at the CASA Spring Sizzle in Rockville, MD last week. Those packs performed flawlessly time after time.

Unlike some others, Common Sense RC does not demean a competitor's product in order for them to sell more of what they offer. They let their products sell themselves on their own merits. When one has a good product to begin with one does not need to badmouth the competition in order to succeed. That I like very much on a manufacturer, for that I commend Common Sense RC.

There is only one other manufacturer that I know of that has always gone this far from the get go. I wish everybody in RC land behaved in such civil fashion. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 AM
thomdoe

QBAN, very nice reply Keith
Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 AM
qban_flyer

Smile

Originally Posted by thomdoe View Post
QBAN, very nice reply Keith
Thanks Keith.