Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Hi-Performance and Sailplanes
Reload this Page >

'P-17 Bottle Plane' - Big easy slow flyer takes off from the Isle of Wight, UK

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

'P-17 Bottle Plane' - Big easy slow flyer takes off from the Isle of Wight, UK

Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Paul Knights

Default 'P-17 Bottle Plane' - Big easy slow flyer takes off from the Isle of Wight, UK

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this ok..? and in the right place?
...a 3minute film I've just finished putting together and uploading to YouTube. It's of my scratchbuild own design motor glider with the fuselage made from 2 litre plastic bottles. Flying slowly and gracefully from Culver Down on the Eastern point of the Isle of Wight, UK.

Flies like a tractor (in a good way) so my friend who was flying it says - slow and gentle, but is easy on the eye, flying gracefully against the genteel landscape where I live. Please take a look and hope you enjoy.

Paul
Old 04-22-2021, 09:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Very nice ......

Have wonderful memories of IoW .... I had my sailboat based at Hayling Island and used to cruise Solent till I moved out here to Latvia ... have my boat here now as well. Its why I have the ID Solentlife ...

Spent many occasions in Priory Bay .... Bembridge ... Yarmouth ... Newport etc.

Bottles ... I have always wondered if they could be used for EDF .... but would need plain bottles without the usual ridges ...

Nigel
Old 04-22-2021, 09:55 PM
Paul Knights

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Very nice ......

Have wonderful memories of IoW .... I had my sailboat based at Hayling Island and used to cruise Solent till I moved out here to Latvia ... have my boat here now as well. Its why I have the ID Solentlife ...

Spent many occasions in Priory Bay .... Bembridge ... Yarmouth ... Newport etc.

Bottles ... I have always wondered if they could be used for EDF .... but would need plain bottles without the usual ridges ...

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Hope everything is good for you out in Latvia.

From my basic understanding, EDF's just simply aren't as efficient as a regular pull prop, although I appreciate they can look much more well matched in certain models. Using a bottle as the duct... would it be beneficial? ...I wouldn't like to say. Maybe something to write down on the list of things to try out! (I have couple of 64mm EDF's on the shelf that I've never used successfully)... as you say, probably best use smooth surfaced bottles.