3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

E-foamies Yak 54

Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 AM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Default E-foamies Yak 54

What a cool little EPP built up plane! The MicroDan 2510 3D motor is superb. Quiet, powerful and comes in a cool orange anodized finish ta boot! This plane will do most anything you ask of it and more. Makes a great throw it in the truck and go huck plane. Will pay for itself after the first few ooops! Little on the pricey side, but I have a few nicer balsa kits laying around awaiting repair, so when you factor in down time or replacement it's well worth it. This one is a must for your hanger if you're into 3D or IMAC. Perfect lunch time practice plane!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	E-foamies YAK 54.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	19250   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090552.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	19251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak 3.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	19252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Hatch 1.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	19253  
Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 AM
teamjrallen
TeamEFlightBatteries

how can i get one of those planes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 AM
EDFrules

www.e-foamies.com I believe. They make an Extra and a new Egde 540 too.

Last edited by EDFrules; 11-20-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
EDFrules

Forgot pic of MicroDan 2510-3D. Superior performance and cool color too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroDan 2510 3D.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	19259  
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM
andrewgore

I just got one of these this past week. While the plane flies quite well, I am quite upset with the fact that for 105$ (115 if you get the black\yellow as i did), the instructions that come with the model....They aren't even for this kit. They are for their (e-foamies) extra 300 model. While the planes are very similar in build, there are differences that would be nice to have directions for, and not just a single sheet of paper with a bunch of pictures with very vague descriptions.

I realize I may be nitpicking here, but for 100+$, and for how long e-foamies has been making these (and other) models, you would think that they would be able to come up with instructions for each of their models. Also note that its not a full round fuselage, the bottom of it is flat from basically the LE of the wing to the tail.

A suggestion too...make sure your servos are all working well before you glue the plane entirely up. This will make things a bit easier if you need to replace a servo.

I'll see how more flight on it this week goes. Gotta make up a nice little battery hatch like EDFrules shows. The way described in the "instruction manual" shows 1 long slit in the bottom with 2 horizontal cuts at the ends of the long one.......Don't do it that way imo. Just the pressure from bending the EPP away ripped it on my plane. Luckily i've got plenty of EPP still from Slofly stuff

Andrew
Old 11-20-2006, 11:56 PM
EDFrules

Someone inspecting my hatch at the local flying field tore the EPP "hinge" and now I'll have to reinforce by gluing on some strapping tape with UHU glue. Lack of, or dissamiliar instructions are really not a big deal cuz this is about as simple as it gets but yes, I would agree this one and a lot of other manufacturers leave a lot to be desired in the instruction department. Of course we all go online to the forums for the real build tips when we grab a new model and have questions. It seems like every model I've built has needed some type of mod or whatever to keep it in the air as long as possible. If you don't do one thing or another to them they will end up buried in the dirt. Just once I'd like a no brainer where you don't have to figure anything out, just assemble and fly! Yeah, and then my alarm clock went off!
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
I just got one of these this past week. While the plane flies quite well, I am quite upset with the fact that for 105$ (115 if you get the black\yellow as i did), the instructions that come with the model....They aren't even for this kit. They are for their (e-foamies) extra 300 model. While the planes are very similar in build, there are differences that would be nice to have directions for, and not just a single sheet of paper with a bunch of pictures with very vague descriptions.

I realize I may be nitpicking here, but for 100+$, and for how long e-foamies has been making these (and other) models, you would think that they would be able to come up with instructions for each of their models. Also note that its not a full round fuselage, the bottom of it is flat from basically the LE of the wing to the tail.

A suggestion too...make sure your servos are all working well before you glue the plane entirely up. This will make things a bit easier if you need to replace a servo.

I'll see how more flight on it this week goes. Gotta make up a nice little battery hatch like EDFrules shows. The way described in the "instruction manual" shows 1 long slit in the bottom with 2 horizontal cuts at the ends of the long one.......Don't do it that way imo. Just the pressure from bending the EPP away ripped it on my plane. Luckily i've got plenty of EPP still from Slofly stuff

Andrew
Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 AM
andrewgore

haha yeah, I feel the same way. Overall the build wasnt bad at all. I wouldn't mind it if companies beveled the control surfaces either. Shoot, I'd even pay 10-20$ more for a plane if this was done. Little details like that are what I think make a more expensive plane worth it. Guess I'll get to designing up a nice little fixture for cutting the bevels. Time to go mod up that battery hatch

Andrew