General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Two New Receivers - comments and test results

Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 PM
NCguy

Default Two New Receivers - comments and test results

Anyone had any experience with the two new receivers from hitec and mikrodesigns?

http://www.mikrodesigns.com/rxo.htm
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/product_fs.htm
Old 10-04-2005, 05:08 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

NCguy, I haven't flown with my new Hitec yet, but I bought an 05FS a few weeks ago from Balsa Products. It's nice and compact and light. It range checks okay, so I imagine it will be pretty bulletproof, as are the HFS04 and 05MGs that I have.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:35 PM
GeraldRosebery

There is no such thing as a reliable single conversion reciever. Unless you find your aiplanes boring and wnat to be them broken I simply won't recommend using them. I think they should be outright banned.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
NCguy

Originally Posted by GeraldRosebery
There is no such thing as a reliable single conversion reciever. Unless you find your aiplanes boring and wnat to be them broken I simply won't recommend using them. I think they should be outright banned.
I've got to disagree with you there and I'm not sure what your remarks are based on other than some possible bad personal experiences. Most of my older single conversion berg receivers are at least as good as my dual conversion receivers. If the hardware and especially the software are done right single conversion DSP offers many advantages over the traditional non-DSP receivers.

I just ordered two of the mikrodesigns receivers. I'll let you know how it goes. My old standby used to be berg but berg isnt what it used to be.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Will Hicks
Dealer

Your right, those Berg and JR receivers are crap
Old 10-08-2005, 12:25 AM
NCguy

Originally Posted by Will Hicks
Your right, those Berg and JR receivers are crap
Berg is being totally reworked and manufacturing moved to CC's new facilities now that they have outright purchased berg. CC claims that all the problems have been remedied. That remains to be seen as well as when CC will finally release the product. In the meantime I'm in search of a solid, 5+ channel micro receiver in the $50 price range. I'm hoping the mikrodesigns fits the ticket.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:42 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Boy, I'm with Gerald on this. I have yet to see a reliable SC RX. I've had nothing but trouble with GWS and Cirrus RX's. I've never had one but I've seen several planes crash from complete loss of control with Bergs. I've yet to have a crash that I could blame on any of my Electron 6's! I've damaged some in crashes but they weren't the cause of the crash.
I thought I'd give SC one more chance and got the Hitec Micro 05S RX to try in a small wing I have. Another big mistake. Glitch city. Not as bad as GWS or Cirrus though. The plane flew completely glitch free with an Electron 6. I've got 10 Electron 6's now. I'm thinking about one of the Polk Seeker RX's simply because they are synthesized. I'm sick of buying so many crystals.

Joe
Old 10-08-2005, 01:48 AM
NCguy

Originally Posted by Turbojoe

I'm thinking about one of the Polk Seeker RX's simply because they are synthesized. I'm sick of buying so many crystals.

Joe
I've got a sombra shadow 3 synthesized. Nice! I'm just looking for a $50 receiver otherwise I would buy all shadow 3's.

Thanks for your feedback on the hitec. So far I'm hearing more positive feedback on the mikrodesigns vs the hitec.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

HERE is your under $50.00 RX. I'd like to try the Sombra's but they're pretty pricey.

Joe
Old 10-08-2005, 02:00 AM
NCguy

Originally Posted by Turbojoe
HERE is your under $50.00 RX. I'd like to try the Sombra's but they're pretty pricey.

Joe
Nice but I honestly believe a postage-sized 5 ch receiver at 4-8 grams can get the job done just fine.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:32 AM
soarr
Glider guider

Originally Posted by NCguy
Anyone had any experience with the two new receivers from hitec and mikrodesigns?

http://www.mikrodesigns.com/rxo.htm
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/product_fs.htm
I have a Hitec HFS-04MG in a Slow Stick and in a Cermark Newtimer and have had no problems flying them until they're almost specks in the sky. I can't comment on the new Rx from Mikrodesigns but I have one on order.

M
Old 10-08-2005, 06:49 AM
mle2tie
chief button pusher

i fly w/ single conversion recievers.
i have yet to have any serious problems.
but then again i:
dont do allot of aerrobatics
i dont fly w/ anyone else (i have an odd work scedual)
i dont fly near any high energy tx ( cell phone, am/fm radio, tv towers and or sat uplinks ) i know that the atmosphere is alive w/ radio interference.
i did fly in front of a marty(sp) tx i think. vhf or uhf not shure marty antennas are very distinctive looking. flying infront of the marty antenna locked up my plane. once it the plane flew out of the line of sight for the antenna control was restored.
i fly w/ gws 4ch single conversion ( eva bipe and flashback) and jr r610m( SA Squirt 400) and a hitec feather 555( test rig) a jr radio and futaba tx
no probs as yet
Old 10-10-2005, 04:46 AM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

I fly helis and they are more demanding of RX's than planes. I have Hitec Electron6's, Bergs, JR's, FMA's. The Berg solved a glitching problem I had on a heli, the prev RX was an Electron 6. My Hitec have been bullet proof in planes.
I wouldn't give you 2 cents for GWS...Two planes had them and I couldn't trust them. I also had the first gen JR610 and they were no good. All other JR's have been flawless...
Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 AM
funnysticks

Default Hitech ok

I am using a hitech feather reciever w/hitech servos on a futaba xmtr. and have good ground range and very good air range. I have found that a lot of glitching can be eliminated by keeping ant. wire as far away from all other wiring. Even the servo leads close to the ant. can give problems.
I always try to plan reciever location to allow the ant. to leave the fuse. at right angles and then route it to the rear of the plane. Our electrics do generate a lot of RF noise and FM recievers do a pretty good job of rejecting most of it. AM recievers are not as good rejecting noise.
A quick check for RF noise is to hold an AM portable radio tuned to a clear spot on the dial next to your plane while running the motor at various speeds. Another fix is to be sure that all the wire leads are twisted together where practical. This will reduce the RF radation from them.
Hope this will help some of the glitching. Dan
Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 PM
no stick

Here is your under $50.00 full range dual conversion lightweight Rx. I've got two of them and they are rock solid.

Ed
Old 10-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by no stick View Post
Here is your under $50.00 full range dual conversion lightweight Rx. I've got two of them and they are rock solid.

Ed
I agree, nice receiver at a good price. Just wish channel 5 could be used as channel 6 to use dual aileron servos like the 5 channel Bergs and the 5 channel mikrodesign.

Doug
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GeraldRosebery View Post
My eleven three year old GWS Pico & Hitec Feather receivers might not be aware of what you are talking about, yet!

I use a Pico on a very fast (better than 60MPH) delta model and so far it is still in one piece. Either I got all the good ones or you got all the bad ones made.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by funnysticks View Post
I am using a hitech feather reciever w/hitech servos on a futaba xmtr. and have good ground range and very good air range. I have found that a lot of glitching can be eliminated by keeping ant. wire as far away from all other wiring. Even the servo leads close to the ant. can give problems.
I always try to plan reciever location to allow the ant. to leave the fuse. at right angles and then route it to the rear of the plane. Our electrics do generate a lot of RF noise and FM recievers do a pretty good job of rejecting most of it. AM recievers are not as good rejecting noise.
A quick check for RF noise is to hold an AM portable radio tuned to a clear spot on the dial next to your plane while running the motor at various speeds. Another fix is to be sure that all the wire leads are twisted together where practical. This will reduce the RF radation from them.
Hope this will help some of the glitching. Dan
So well put. I agree and to thank you for coming to the Feather's rescue!

It's all about installation neatness and proper distribution of the components within the airframe. Keep that RX as far away from the motor and ESC as possible.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by no stick View Post

Ed
It's a very nice RX. I own two of them also, but won't use them in my $75 (RTR) park flyers. For most of those I have the $24.50 Feather.

I also own their Extreme 5 and Fortress RXs. Reliable and priced just right.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:47 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

I've had problems lately with hitec 555's. Sending two of them back to hitec. On one in a katana foamy while up about 50 feet, it lost signal.
Didn't have any control at all. Plane crashed. Tested rx...got nothing.
Seems like the circuit board failed. Same thing with the other 555. Get absolutely nothing.
My other rx's, M5, Berg micro stamp, big futaba 8 channel have had no problems. Especially the berg. Its antenna has been pulled out twice. Its been in a tree for 3 weeks etc. Still performs with no glitches. Heck, I even use the M5 in glow planes. Works perfect.

Dave...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:07 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit View Post
I've had problems lately with hitec 555's. Sending two of them back to hitec. On one in a katana foamy while up about 50 feet, it lost signal.
Didn't have any control at all. Plane crashed. Tested rx...got nothing.
Seems like the circuit board failed. Same thing with the other 555. Get absolutely nothing.
My other rx's, M5, Berg micro stamp, big futaba 8 channel have had no problems. Especially the berg. Its antenna has been pulled out twice. Its been in a tree for 3 weeks etc. Still performs with no glitches. Heck, I even use the M5 in glow planes. Works perfect.

Dave...
I have always found FMA's products to perform to specs or surpass them. I am using their servos, Co-Pilot, ESCs, Batteries and receivers. Absolutely reliable in every way.

I also have Hitec, GWS, JR and Futaba TXs as well as RXs. No problems with those either.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 AM
kalel

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
It's a very nice RX. I own two of them also, but won't use them in my $75 (RTR) park flyers. For most of those I have the $24.50 Feather.

I also own their Extreme 5 and Fortress RXs. Reliable and priced just right.
qban,

is it to heavy for your park flyers, or it is glitchy? I am wondering because I am in the market for one right now.

Thanks,

Kalel
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kalel View Post
qban,

is it to heavy for your park flyers, or it is glitchy? I am wondering because I am in the market for one right now.

Thanks,

Kalel
Oh! no, I just don't put full range RXs in my park/3D/indoor flyers. I'm going to be flying them within 50-75 feet from me, so why waste a nice full range Rx on "up in my face flying"? Though I'll have to admit I have a Fortress in my G/P Yak-55.

I use them on sailplanes and larger electrics where I may get the model up in the air several hundred feet high.