Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

EP Yak 55 3D ARF MOTOR HELP

Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
darticus

Default EP Yak 55 3D ARF MOTOR HELP

Bought a Yak 55.Hobby guy said the brushed motor it comes with is not very good but I should upgraded to the E-FLITE 370? He didn't have the speed controller ESC for the stock motor so I also had to buy that for the brushless motor.Is the brushed motor of any use for a beginner? I would still need a speed controller for it. What difference is there between the two motors. Did he beat me or is that the truth. The original motor is a 280 sized motor. The speed controller needed is the 20amp brushed esc (gpmp2020) for brushed motor? Thanks Ron
Old 04-09-2007, 06:20 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs up Brushed motors.

The brushed motor is good for the beginner! You should break it in carefully thought. You can hook up a brushed motor DIRECTLY to a battery >BUT, If you did the same thing with a brushless, IT would be toast FAST! Brushed is ok for reversing also. BUT while flying it with that motor, look for a good brushless motor in the meanwhile. I think you would be happy with a 400 for that plane. I have 6 brushed 180's and I like them alot. I call them the disposable motors. Use the motor to get the feel of the plane and go from there. Good luck with your Yak!! Nice purchase!!!!!!! Take care, Scott

Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Bought a Yak 55.Hobby guy said the brushed motor it comes with is not very good but I should upgraded to the E-FLITE 370? He didn't have the speed controller ESC for the stock motor so I also had to buy that for the brushless motor.Is the brushed motor of any use for a beginner? I would still need a speed controller for it. What difference is there between the two motors. Did he beat me or is that the truth. The original motor is a 280 sized motor. The speed controller needed is the 20amp brushed esc (gpmp2020) for brushed motor? Thanks Ron