Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

How do you launch your Stryker?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
John Boy

Default How do you launch your Stryker?

For me, the most difficult part of flying the Stryker is the launch. It maybe fast, but it is stable. So if you already know how to fly a model, it is no big deal. In fact itís turns are sluggish (no rudder) yet it glides well with a fairly gentle stall. So as long as you have plenty of room, it is a piece of cake. After the launch.

But launching it is not so easy. There are a number of techniques that come to mind. I have tried a few, some leading to disasters, others with marginal success. So far, I have not found a reliable technique. So I am listing my thoughts and asking you to tell me what it is that you do.
  • Hail Mary. This method is tossing it as hard as you can at a 45 degree angle with the throttle in the off position. This has always resulted in a stall followed by a power dive doing considerable damage to the plane. This is definitely not the way to do it.
  • Aggressive Toss. This method is more a kin to what you do with other hand launched power planes Ė straight and level. The difference is you throw it, throw it hard with the throttle in the off position. This has worked with the plane kicking in about a foot off the ground or lower. If the grass is deep, failed launches just mow a strip of grass while the successful launches zoom off ready for the first climb.
  • On the Edge. This method involves starting the motor then powering back until the blade just stops. The idea is that the normal toss will cause the prop to turn giving you that extra second or two needed to smoothly apply power. I have not tried this, but it is next on the list as soon as I get the plane back together from the previous attempt.
  • Over the edge. This method is definitely not what the manual says. Here, enough power is applied to spin the prop. The toss is more like a yank where you yank your hand down from underneath the plane while moving forward hoping the motor will carry it forward to a stable glide.
  • Fearless. This is the normal airplane launch. Rev up the prop until the plane starts to feel light from the prop wash. Then like throwing a dart you toss the plane like you wanted to hit the bullís eye about six feet away. I suspect that at best, if it is quick toss, the prop will miss your fingers. But not always.
  • Nose toss. CA on the nose and use a typical flying wing nose launch Ė cruise power throwing the plane over your head and backwards. A new skill to be learned with significant consequences for not doing it right.

Any way these are my thoughts. I might add that I am inclined to wear a glove for 3-5 just in case. My brother has a nasty scar on his arm from an encounter with a prop some fifty years ago. Not needing to kick start an electric is one reason I fly these exclusively.

So, How do you launch your Stryker?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

WOT and try not to throw it like a girl, the stryker is very easy to launch.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Spencer J
ELECTRIC > GAS

I used to launch with the throttle off to keep all five fingers, but I now have a powerful BL setup and I just launch with the throttle on...just don't do any funny flings. Sure, your about 1/4" away from disaster, just keep in mind those folks that work on the massive supercarriers that have to duck everytime a plane launches
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	takeoff1.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	40236  
Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 AM
tulz43

I find the stryker very easy to launch...I give it about half throttle and give it a nice gentle toss (not girlie) with just barrely any down trim.

Also I throw left handed so I can keep my right hand on the right stick and just move the throttle up with my mouth.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:38 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I give her full power and toss it from the wingtip, kind of like throwing a frisbee backand... Fingers nowhere near the prop!

Never had a single problem
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I have the 'B'. Needs a WOT firm toss into the wind. Make sure to "follow through/down" with the throwing hand.

fly
Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 AM
Water Boy
☺ ↓ My co-pilot ☺

I have had three strykers and found them to be very easy to launch. I just have a little up reflex in the elev. about 1/2-3/4 throttle and firm toss, using the finger holes on the bottom. Never cut my fingers. As far as turns mine would turn on a dime. When I would bank a turn I would inout a little up elevator to help pull it around faster. I really need to get another one. But I do have a MJ which i a pain to launch sometimes.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
For me, the most difficult part of flying the Stryker is the launch. .......
  • Hail Mary. This method is tossing it as hard as you can at a 45 degree angle with the throttle in the off position. This has always resulted in a stall followed by a power dive doing considerable damage to the plane. This is definitely not the way to do it.
I love it! I tried that with an my EDF50 Arado234 twin once. In theory, you would think that if you could whip it up high enough, then you could catch some speed on the down glide and then get going.
It don't work dat way. It works out exactly as you described.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Whjen I was younger I prefered the jevelin launch. Hold the model firmly, like a javelin kind of sideways in your right hand (reverse everything for left hand launch) Take a step forwards with your left foot, break into a run with your right foot as you bring the model upright and level and as you take your next step with your left leg, push with the left leg and fling the model level forward using as much force as you can adding in the momentum of the step. It often helps to grunt loudly as you release.

These days, what with arthritus moving into my shoulder, I now use a bungee and stomp launcher. Just epoxy a hook near the nose of the model, use fifteen feet of half inch surgical tubing well staked to the ground, I use a spiral dog spike. pull it back double it's length, hook it to the very open nose hook and let go. A perfect launch every time. I also use it with a nifty widget that holds the taut rubber on a pin with a short piece of string attatched to it. There's a seesaw board with one end under the pin and the other siting up and free. The model lays along a pair of rails with the line in the hook, I step on the seesaw and the model launches it's self. This way I have both hands in the styicks from the start.

You don't get any altitude from this, you just get speed.
RobII (broken or lazy, you decide.)
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Default Stryker Lauches...

Remember to have the wing clear your hat (photo 1), and don't toss it up, toss it out!

Name:	StrykerLaunch-01.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	55885   Click image for larger version

Name:	StrykerLaunch-02.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	55886  
Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

I like the HiStart method. How about designing a shorter version, say, about a meter or two with a stiffer bungee (or latex tubing)? Something that could be set on a table or fence top with a trigger release.

The Stryker is a tough little bird. it should survive an RC version of a carrier catapult.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I like the HiStart method. How about designing a shorter version, say, about a meter or two with a stiffer bungee (or latex tubing)? Something that could be set on a table or fence top with a trigger release.

The Stryker is a tough little bird. it should survive an RC version of a carrier catapult.
Hi FlyWheel I just bought the parts to make a Stryker C from Atlanta Hobbies, and I was wondering the same thing, launching my Wing also Kinds of scare me too, I was Thinking about starting a thread on building a Launcher for wings and Deltas, something made out of PVC , that uses latex tubing or big Rubber bands to launch with, that Can be Taken Apart after use, and sits up about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, getting Older so, I dont want to bend down if I dont have to What do you think about that, Chellie
Old 02-24-2008, 03:40 AM
lshadow2005

I just maydened my 27C and I am no expert pilot but I followed Kosh's recommendation of about 4 clicks up Elvons give it a good throw about 45' and then hit the throttle about 1/2 gets that puppy up and going like hell so be alert! Reset the trims and you are flying level besure your CG is correct before launch. I did it twice without a problem -don't think I want to risk my fingers launching with power on before releasing ,I am already am missing 1/2 my right thumb,but I am left handed anyway so no big deal. Be safe have fun keep your eye on the plane every second
Bob
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
glucoseboy

I have a brushless stryker b. I launch it at half throttle and throw it flat out (not up),

It will travel in a slow downward arc. I will then apply up elevator and away we go.

Note: I'm right handed and use a glove on my right hand when I launch the stryker. Once the stryker is airborne, I just drop the glove at my feet. (Can't be too careful)
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 AM
oct2633

Default Oct2633

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi FlyWheel I just bought the parts to make a Stryker C from Atlanta Hobbies, and I was wondering the same thing, launching my Wing also Kinds of scare me too, I was Thinking about starting a thread on building a Launcher for wings and Deltas, something made out of PVC , that uses latex tubing or big Rubber bands to launch with, that Can be Taken Apart after use, and sits up about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, getting Older so, I dont want to bend down if I dont have to What do you think about that, Chellie

Chellie, there's nothing like a bungee launcher for the Stryker. We use a homemade one (1 X 6 lumber) and rubber surgical tubing stretched out to a tension of 10 lbs. (fish scale for measuring) This will sling a Stryker into the air at a speed of 40 - 50 mph! You can let it get 50 yards out before even turning the motor on! It's as much fun to launch and land the Stryker as to fly it! We have other models which we launch this way. One of them is the Tiger Shark EDF. It comes off the bungee at a measured 53 mph. No problem here with stalling, etc. and plenty of time to cut in the motor when you please. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
As I've said before, nothing beats a good catapult launcher!
I use my stomp launcher for all of my jets and high loading hand launch models. I just can't manage anything more than a girlie throw with the arthritis trouble in my right shoulder.
It's got a serious cool factor too. Doesn't matter what I'm launching, if I use the catapult everybody stops what they're doing and watches.
Sure, it takes a little time to set up and take down, but it's well worth it.

On a side note, I finally got my Fun jet jet together. No, I didn't stutter, I dropped a WeMoTec mini fan 480 in a Funjet, used old Pringle's cans for the duct work. I got it in the air this weekend, using the catapult, and I'm very pleased with it. Flys like a Funjet should and on the radar gun upwind I got 97mph out of it. Not too shabby...
RobII
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Kosh
Super Contributor

No one wants there fingers cut up from a bad launch but the key for me is the follow through with the hand. Think of throwing a baseball where the hand keeps moving forward and down. If you stop you hand right after launch its possible to get bit because its in the way. Pretend your a pitcher standing on the mound and if you try this a few times to see the follow through I'm talking about for your self. A flick of the wrist can cause injuries while a follow through moves the whole hand out of dangers way.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
warlockgs

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I give her full power and toss it from the wingtip, kind of like throwing a frisbee backand... Fingers nowhere near the prop!

Never had a single problem
QFT.

My first 5 flights of my first Stryker were all ER visits because I was following the instructions. 75% throttle, throw level, 2 clicks up elevon, lose a bit of skin and LOTS of blood everytime.

Now I launch holding the wingtip (much easier if the wing is glassed, feels stiffer) and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 AM
lshadow2005

I do not hit the throttle until I have finished my throw and the plane has clear my hand-you have to be quick to the throttle but so far so good.I would entertrain bungi launcher if there are any around to purchase?
Bob
Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Pancake

When my buddy and I were buying our Strykers (my first RC plane in 17 years, and his first RC plane... hehe!), I was expressing my concerns about hand launching with the pusher prop... I learned with nitro planes to stay the hell clear of props! He said "Nah, piece of cake"...

I tried launching mine according to instructions (they suggest power off), and found that to be not good.
My buddy and I then discussed power on launches, and the "follow through", as mentioned by Kosh, to ensure that your hand always comes down and out of the prop's way.
This method works well... about 75% - full throttle, a very assertive forward and slightly up launch, with the hand ending up at your waist.

However, my buddy did start getting complacent and launched his one day without the "follow through".... luckily, it only took small chunks out of his thumb....

I did see a video of a guy doing a "wingtip sling" with a small nitro F-22, and it seemed to work fine... haven't tried it with the Stryker yet.
I had initially thought of the cat launcher, and have now seen plenty of videos of people doing that as well, especially when you get into the larger foamies.

Anyway, this is really just a recap of things that have already been mentioned.
Bottom line... the Stryker hand-launches well, as long as you FOLLOW THROUGH... the "wing sling" is probably a good option... the cat would be cool for alot of planes.

Be Safe!

-Pancake
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
warlockgs

The cat launcher would be way cool, but I think the people at my field would get tired of hearing Kenny Loggins after a while.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I always let my buddy, 3-fingered Joe throw it for me....Practice make perfect.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

i have a r/c monster truck with a rack on top instead of a body. just lay the bird on top, slowly increase throttle
on the truck, steer straight into the wind, and within ten yards, off it goes. two people needed, but no lost digits ever!!i'll try to post pics

Name:	launch truck.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	61607   Click image for larger version

Name:	launch truck2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	61608   Click image for larger version

Name:	launch truck 3.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	61609  
Old 04-04-2008, 01:22 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

if theres any interest in the rack, i have plans. or will make kits!!!!