Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ Spitfire Ailerons

Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default PZ Spitfire Ailerons

I landed my PZ Spit really fast and at a steep angle resulting in a wing coming off. I was about to mount a brushless motor and carbon spars to strengthen the wings anyhow, so I'll just repair it. The stock cable system for the ailerons does not have much throw, and I don't see how to modify it to get more throw. Horn and servo arm position is maxed out and the ailerons have a tiny amount of throw. The roll rate is fairly slow and was concerned it might lead to control issues with the increased power.
I was thinking of mounting 2 servos in the wings like the E-flight P47.
Any of you PZ Spit owners try this?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

not an issue, when you have more speed you have more airflow over the control surfaces which makes the plane react faster. At the faster speed too much movement will actually rip the plane. If you want the plane to roll faster do the wingtip mod i made a post on a while back, the plane flies both faster and rolls better.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Clipping the wings on a Spit is like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa!

Well, maybe not that bad, but I'd like to keep the classic eliptical wing shape. I'm going to try a little more throw if I can rig it up.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:32 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Larry G View Post
Clipping the wings on a Spit is like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa!

Well, maybe not that bad, but I'd like to keep the classic eliptical wing shape. I'm going to try a little more throw if I can rig it up.

that is redonklous to say, the clip wing spitfire was the fighter plane version, much more agile. Weird..... kinda like the RC version when it has it's wings clipped.

Now if you are fine with your milk run version of the spitfire, why bother trying to make it roll faster; what exactly would you need it to do that for anyways.

look up at the sexy nature of the clip wing spitfire. lol
Old 04-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Well, all Spitfires were fighters, except the camera equipped PRU units. I just prefer the graceful shape of the eliptical wing. I only want a little quicker roll rate, it doesn't need to spin like an Extra 300. I think a little more throw might work. I'll let you know.....................