Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Trojan Or Spitfire?

Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 AM
blazing_angels

Default Trojan Or Spitfire?

for my next plane i am looking at getting either the parkzone spitfire or parkzone trojan ..... i am aware of all the specs of each plane but would like some opinions on their flying experiences. all help is appreciated
Old 06-08-2008, 04:29 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

First warbird? Trojan. 3rd plane, you have your own option of the two. I personally feel the trojan is a better overall platform. I terms of upgrades you will end up replacing everything in the 'stang. The trojan is already setup for an outrunner motor and lipo everything is reusable and easily upgraded.

I have a Suppo 2814-08 in my trojan, putting 300 watts through it right now, could easily put 350 or more in it.

Also are you getting RTF for both? Like I said earlier the trojan electronics and power system is reusable, so is the TX. And I might add the TX is VERY nice for a RTF, 5 chan, reversing on all channels, v-tail mixing for wings.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:41 AM
blazing_angels

yes i would get the Rtf as this would only be my second plane . first was the Hz SuperCub and i feel that it is time to step up. i have to agree with you about the trojan, it has better internals which is why i am leaning towards it...
---numb question.... what would be a good lipo for the trojan as a second battery? i dont get the whole watts and size thing lol . will every lipo battery charge on the trojan stock charger>?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:44 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

You should not have a problem charging other lipos WITH a balance tab on the stock charger (up to 2200mAh, the charger does 2A I think). Although, some people are reporting problems with the charger...you will likely upgrade this by your third plane if not before anyways.

I am using 1800mAh and 2200mAh 3S1P packs in mine.

Check out this thread.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 AM
blazing_angels

thanks for the link. some lipo packages come with a charger. would that be a good charger or just like the stock one?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 AM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

Those are all like the stock one.

Two favorites around here are the Cellpro 4S and GT Power A6/iMAX B6.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:55 AM
blazing_angels

ok thanks a ton!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 AM
HET overkill

i have flown both and the trojan is a lot better flight wise the spitz doesn't have enough in the throughs even after slight mods and it hates the wind even more than the cub. the trojan can fly in a bit stronger winds than your cub. I have noticed a trend with supercub pilots, the second plane they fly usually loses a nose and the spitz is cheaper to fix then the t-28. but when it comes down to it the t-28 would be my suggestion, just don't fly around any trains (interferance BAD!!!!!).
Old 06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
rleed

My Dad had the super cub as a first plane and went with the spitfire and had no problem. It flys very nice. The only parts that he has replaced are cracked gear boxes. (2 in 200+ flights) He flys it on the stock Ni-mh batteries. I stuck one of my 3s 2200 in it and there was not a big difference in performance, just longer flight time. I don't have any experience with the trojan, but the Spitfire is really nice, and a little cheaper.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
blazing_angels

thanks for all the input.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 AM
marchino61

Originally Posted by HET overkill View Post
I have noticed a trend with supercub pilots, the second plane they fly usually loses a nose and the spitz is cheaper to fix then the t-28. but when it comes down to it the t-28 would be my suggestion, just don't fly around any trains (interferance BAD!!!!!).
I learned with a Super Cub and you are definitely right about breaking noses

However, I am not so sure the Spit is cheaper to fix. I have both the Trojan and the Spitfire. When I nosed the Spit in, I had to replace the cowl, internal frame and stick the thin foam of the fuselage back together. The prop and gearbox also broke.

I have done the same to the Trojan three times. In each case the motor mount absorbed most of the impact and costs (in Australia) $5 to replace. Apart from that all I needed was plenty of epoxy to stick the foam back together and a couple of replacement clevises for the nose wheel. I also replaced the cowl after the third crash...it was getting a bit tatty.

The Trojan is definitely easier to fly than the Spitfire and has more power. Orientation can also be difficult with the Spitfire as it is quite small and painted in camouflage.

Last edited by marchino61; 06-09-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

trojan is by far a better plane... but... have you upgraded your supercub to ailerons? if you havn't done that, then you should seriously think about going that route... I could point you where to go for that upgrade...

you can pickup the stuff cheap at hobbycity.com
(4) hxt900 servos $3.65 each
(1) 30amp Eagle brushed esc, $10

TX/Rx options is left up to you... you can either go 2.4 or FM,
Cheap option would be FM, about $56 by getting the Trojan TX,Rx and then you could use them later if you did decide to go with Trojan,
SK

Ps, My Avitar shows me flying a Supercub inverted inches off the ground....
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

I have the Spit, and my buddy has the Trojan. Trojan flys better, mostly I think because it has more power. Trojan rolls better too.

I was using the nimh batteries in the Spit, and it really is underpowered. I was flying the Spit full throttle all the time. It's in the shop right now getting a brushless motor installed.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
HET overkill

the pz spit and mustang and fw190 are basically the same and i noticed power lacking with my mustang so i put a 3600 kv brushless with a 4 cell lipo and if i fire wall the throttle the nose pulls off. Highly recommended mod (maybe).
Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

rememebr that both of those planes fly nothing like the supercub be careful when you start out, and remember WOT is your best friend, stalling either of these plance too low to the ground will hurt your pocket book.