RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dx6i mix problems ailerons for spoilers

Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM
sapper378
Derek

Question Dx6i mix problems ailerons for spoilers

Hello all,
Flying a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric. Three weeks in, great fun.
A late starter at 59 yrs here, but as real flying has become so expensive I thought I would try another hobby. RC Aero seems to fit the bill. In the speki manual it says with dual ailerons set they can be used as spoilers (both up?). The manual then says nothing about how to do. I have spent an age trying to fiddle with mixes but all I have managed so far is both ailerons down but only when the stick is all the way to the right. Does this mean, even if there is a way to do it, I would have to fly rudder and elevator only?
I did manage to mix the rudder and ailerons, but it seemed like cheating. so I tuned it off.
Any help appreciated, sorry in advance if this should be in beginners forum.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:57 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Originally Posted by sapper378 View Post
Hello all,
Flying a Multiplex Easy Glider Electric. Three weeks in, great fun.
A late starter at 59 yrs here, but as real flying has become so expensive I thought I would try another hobby. RC Aero seems to fit the bill. In the speki manual it says with dual ailerons set they can be used as spoilers (both up?). The manual then says nothing about how to do. I have spent an age trying to fiddle with mixes but all I have managed so far is both ailerons down but only when the stick is all the way to the right. Does this mean, even if there is a way to do it, I would have to fly rudder and elevator only?
I did manage to mix the rudder and ailerons, but it seemed like cheating. so I tuned it off.
Any help appreciated, sorry in advance if this should be in beginners forum.
I'm not clear on what you mean by "only when the stick is all the way to the right." Which stick, the aileron?

Let me walk through the whole flaperon/spoileron setup; forgive me if you've already done all this...

First we need to confirm that you in fact have two separate aileron servos, and they are plugged into separate channels on your receiver (not with a Y-harness). The left aileron should be plugged into the Aux channel, and the right aileron should be plugged into the Aileron channel.

Next, on your DX6i go to the Setup List (bottom of the Adjust List), then select WINGTAILMIX, then select DUALAILE, change that from INH (inhibit) to ACT (active). (Yeah, they could have made all this more clear.)

Finally, go to the Adjust List, select FLAPS, and experiment with different settings for NORM+ and LAND for the FLAP column. (I don't have my DX6i in front of me to try it, but I'm pretty sure this is where you do it.)

Note that with flaperons or spoilerons, you are trading off aileron throw for these functions -- you'll lose some roll responsiveness. I wonder if that's what you're experiencing. You may want to back off how much flaps/spoilers you're dialing in...

Let me know if this makes sense... We'll get this sorted out with you... :-)
Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
sapper378
Derek

Hi Andy, what time is it with you, its 1600 here. Any how , thanks for the steer.
Two aileron servos, connected as you say.
DualAil set to ACT.
It was the aileron stick I was moving, but I had messed about with so many things I couldn't figure what was what. So I just reset the box to start again.
I'm going to play with the Flap setting as you suggest.
Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Hi Andy, what time is it with you, its 1600 here. Any how , thanks for the steer.
Two aileron servos, connected as you say.
DualAil set to ACT.
It was the aileron stick I was moving, but I had messed about with so many things I couldn't figure what was what. So I just reset the box to start again.
I'm going to play with the Flap setting as you suggest.
Thanks again.
Ah, I got ya, probably have a weird mix going. You don't need a custom mix to do flaperons/spoilerons... Good luck, let us know how it works out...

p.s. 8am here, suppose I should get the dog walked and go to work...
Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 AM
sapper378
Derek

Sorry not to reply I had to go to work also. Night shift this week. I will be trying the flap thing later today.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
sapper378
Derek

Hello again Andy, Thanks for the steer , I have got it sorted, with your help.
It was the flaps setting I needed to change, as you said.
Just waiting for a new speed contoller now. the original was damaged in an "event" on Sunday.
Oh well, the joys of RC Flying.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
adhoc
(inactive)

Hello again Andy, Thanks for the steer , I have got it sorted, with your help.
It was the flaps setting I needed to change, as you said.
Just waiting for a new speed contoller now. the original was damaged in an "event" on Sunday.
Oh well, the joys of RC Flying.
Hey, glad to hear it! As for "events," the only way to avoid those is to not fly...
Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 AM
FunFlyer

FWIW, I have done that with my Senior Telemaster, and have mixed in some rudder when the flaperons are down to improve steering as some aileron sensitivity is lost when flaps are down. This helps during finals!
Cheers...
Adrian