Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM
joeted

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Good luck Joeted,
Going to be building a brushless 2nd Cub after my vacation, then upgrade the Spitfire to something similar to yours. (I dont want a super fast one).

So am very interested in what you are doing.

Where did you get the metal engine mount? was if from the uk?

Cheers,
Drew
Hello mate good luck to u too this thread is the perfect place to learn how to upgrade as everyones been really helpful and theyve explained things brilliantly for dumb dumbs like me lol.
The mount was from the uk but at first it stuck out too much as you can see in my pics 1 or 2 pages back but ive messed about with it and hopefully its done the trick,i'll be able to tell when i get my prop which will hopefully be tomorrow.
i think it was radweld who recomended the mount i'll have a look for the link to it in this thread and post it here in a minute.Altho detroit hawk recomends building your own but I was too lazy for that ,I might give that a go soon tho and swap it over if i manage to do it right.
Heres the mount mate http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=22146
Old 09-01-2008, 06:43 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by joeted View Post
Hello mate good luck to u too this thread is the perfect place to learn how to upgrade as everyones been really helpful and theyve explained things brilliantly for dumb dumbs like me lol.
The mount was from the uk but at first it stuck out too much as you can see in my pics 1 or 2 pages back but ive messed about with it and hopefully its done the trick,i'll be able to tell when i get my prop which will hopefully be tomorrow.
i think it was radweld who recomended the mount i'll have a look for the link to it in this thread and post it here in a minute.Altho detroit hawk recomends building your own but I was too lazy for that ,I might give that a go soon tho and swap it over if i manage to do it right.
Heres the mount mate http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=22146
Thanks for that - have ordered a couple.

Like you, I dont have the confidence to build stuff - bolt straight on, is my preferred method.

Good luck mate,
Drew
Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

All you need is to have the right tools!

i mean doesn't everyone in the UK have a planer, a 50cm bandsaw, a few drill presses, tablesaw, sanding station, and a full range of lumber?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
radweld

My wings are starting to show a crease down the side of each fuse, looks like they are going to fold soon if I dont do anything about it. I guess it's time to finish my other re-enforced wing.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 PM
joeted

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
All you need is to have the right tools!

i mean doesn't everyone in the UK have a planer, a 50cm bandsaw, a few drill presses, tablesaw, sanding station, and a full range of lumber?
Yeah but we're all lazy
Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
joeted

Right buddies I got a prop today and its got little round things with it , do I put these in the prop shaft hole on the prop ? Ive read the instructions but they use rediculous words that i just dont get. heres a pic of the prop too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S6300568.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	77249  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Right buddies I got a prop today and its got little round things with it , do I put these in the prop shaft hole on the prop ? Ive read the instructions but they use rediculous words that i just dont get. heres a pic of the prop too
yes, you pop it in to the back of the prop. if I had to guess, you will be using the center ring on the bottom. pop it in, see if it fits the shaft. if not yuou might have to ream the prop hole out with a drill (very carefully). once you have the right one, you might wanna glue it in.

Then go fly and don't crash!

cheers,
gru
Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by radweld View Post
My wings are starting to show a crease down the side of each fuse, looks like they are going to fold soon if I dont do anything about it. I guess it's time to finish my other re-enforced wing.

Yeah I was tlaking about this with a glider expert at my LHS the other day - he says that fat lot it helps to put the CF rod only on the bottom side, as the likely point of failure is on what he called the "crush side" ... The dihedral promotes weakness on the topside of the wing is what he was getting at, so I've been trying to figure out what to do about it.

Can you think of anything that would help?

Actually my Spit is Out of Commission for the time being - I was doing low passes on the field the other day, getting comfortable with the speed, and I hit a seemingly invisible guy wire for a telephone pole, cut the wing basically in half. the fuse spun like a top for about 30 feet, but landed in a dense patch of grass, so it was fine. Cowl fine, GB fine, but the wing was basically ripped in half at the root.

Gotta get a replacement wing, but its worth it. I've had a dozen or so flights with it so far without so much as a trim problem, and this was purely pilot error
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
joeted

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
yes, you pop it in to the back of the prop. if I had to guess, you will be using the center ring on the bottom. pop it in, see if it fits the shaft. if not yuou might have to ream the prop hole out with a drill (very carefully). once you have the right one, you might wanna glue it in.

Then go fly and don't crash!

cheers,
gru
Top man thanks Gru
I'll do that in a minute, i'll post the maiden flight too .im getting nervous now lol.
Is it right that I shouldnt fly it right up until the battery goes dead ? and if thats correct how do i know when to stop flying just before it dies ?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Top man thanks Gru
I'll do that in a minute, i'll post the maiden flight too .im getting nervous now lol.
Is it right that I shouldnt fly it right up until the battery goes dead ? and if thats correct how do i know when to stop flying just before it dies ?

On your maiden I wouldn't push it, it is hard to tell. Fly it for a good 5-6 minutes, then take a battery reading if you can (or hook it up to the charger to see where the voltage stands) that's really the only solid way to know where the LVC is. Once you know approx. where it is, and you are familiar with the plane, you can fly it to soft cutoff and still bring it back in safe.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Yeah I was tlaking about this with a glider expert at my LHS the other day - he says that fat lot it helps to put the CF rod only on the bottom side, as the likely point of failure is on what he called the "crush side" ... The dihedral promotes weakness on the topside of the wing is what he was getting at, so I've been trying to figure out what to do about it.

Can you think of anything that would help?

Actually my Spit is Out of Commission for the time being - I was doing low passes on the field the other day, getting comfortable with the speed, and I hit a seemingly invisible guy wire for a telephone pole, cut the wing basically in half. the fuse spun like a top for about 30 feet, but landed in a dense patch of grass, so it was fine. Cowl fine, GB fine, but the wing was basically ripped in half at the root.

Gotta get a replacement wing, but its worth it. I've had a dozen or so flights with it so far without so much as a trim problem, and this was purely pilot error

When you look at the forces exerted on the wing; if you fly like i do i rarely push forward on the elevon, normally when i am putting my PKZ spitfire thru high G forces it is when i am pulling back. because of this reason i attached the CF rods thru the top of the wing, which is the direction the wing load will push towards. This allows the CF rods to bire as much of the foam as it can.

I have not seen any stress problems with with my wing and i have tested it as hard as i can, 90+ MPH dives and full pull outs with no issue. Mind you my wing is also voild of any damage from landing/crashing, the hanger rash is almost nill with that coating parkzone puts on the plane.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Top man thanks Gru

I don't remember how much flight time you have with RC planes, warbirds are IMO unforgiving to new pilots when you are flying in deadstick (no motor) it sometimes depends on how big the field you are flying at is. A few places i fly it is rather tight so i don't allow the battery to run dead.

With this new plane you have, i would say have someone time it and stay at about 4.5 minutes getting it trimmed out and then come in and land. Keep the first half dozen flights short because you will get SUCH A RUSH out of this plane. [I few times i had to relax my buttcheeks before i turned my guts into a diamond. LOL] When you drop the hammer you will find that you will really need to focus on flying this bird. DOD you see my maiden flight video in my sig at the bottom of this post? In the video what you can't see is right behind me that VERY TALL stand of trees. It is a fun plane.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
joeted

I don't remember how much flight time you have with RC planes, warbirds are IMO unforgiving to new pilots when you are flying in deadstick (no motor) it sometimes depends on how big the field you are flying at is. A few places i fly it is rather tight so i don't allow the battery to run dead.

With this new plane you have, i would say have someone time it and stay at about 4.5 minutes getting it trimmed out and then come in and land. Keep the first half dozen flights short because you will get SUCH A RUSH out of this plane. [I few times i had to relax my buttcheeks before i turned my guts into a diamond. LOL] When you drop the hammer you will find that you will really need to focus on flying this bird. DOD you see my maiden flight video in my sig at the bottom of this post? In the video what you can't see is right behind me that VERY TALL stand of trees. It is a fun plane.
Ok thanks DH and Gru I'll follow those instructions carefully, Ive hit 1 more and hopefully final problem, ive run out of prop shaft to screw the prop nut onto the end ?? am i stuffed or can i do something ?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Ok thanks DH and Gru I'll follow those instructions carefully, Ive hit 1 more and hopefully final problem, ive run out of prop shaft to screw the prop nut onto the end ?? am i stuffed or can i do something ?

Notorious with APC E props. Its a real pain that they make their hubs so thick. Is it possible to put the nut on the prop without the washer? Thats what I usually end up doing. Never had a problem. I actually asked this question of the 'prop guy' at Common Sense RC, and he said that just putting the nut on the end doesn't pose a problem, as they are counter-threaded to the direction of spin and wont work themselves loose.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

You need to take a picture and post ti so i can see what's going on.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Gohmer
Banned

joeted,

What is the AUW of your Spitfire? Just curious, mine comes out at 23oz.

Thanks, best of luck with your maiden!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
joeted

You need to take a picture and post ti so i can see what's going on.
Ok I think ive sorted the problem out, i went and got some normal slimmer washers so theres just enough room for the prop nut to fit on the end of the shaft and also theres enough space now between the spinners base and the cowl so it wont rub against it.I'll post a pic anyway in about an hour.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
joeted

Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
joeted,

What is the AUW of your Spitfire? Just curious, mine comes out at 23oz.

Thanks, best of luck with your maiden!
Hello buddy cheers for the good luck message i'll need it lol.
What is AUW ? sorry
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile

Hello buddy cheers for the good luck message i'll need it lol.
What is AUW ? sorry
All Up Weight. Includes battery. What it weighs ready to toss.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
joeted

All Up Weight. Includes battery. What it weighs ready to toss.
Oh right ok im not actually sure, how would i measure the weight properly ? is there a certain way or is it as simple as just sticking it on the scales ?
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile

Oh right ok im not actually sure, how would i measure the weight properly ? is there a certain way or is it as simple as just sticking it on the scales ?
Vertical with the spinner in the center of the scale, or flat on the scale with the cg in the center of the scale should work.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 PM
joeted

Vertical with the spinner in the center of the scale, or flat on the scale with the cg in the center of the scale should work.
ok i'll do that in a minute and let ya know
Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

ok i'll do that in a minute and let ya know

You fly that dern thing yet?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
joeted

You fly that dern thing yet?
Lol not yet buddy due to 2 reasons
1.typical British weather of torrential downpours and weather warnings and theres more to come
2.Im still trying to get an idea of how Im going to put these cf tubes in the wings.If you have any detailed pics of how you done yours I'd be very interested to see them.
I went into a hobby store near me the other day and the man in there was very helpful, he gave me a piece of aluminium tube to put my cf tubes in each end but then he started talking about dehidral (i think thats how u spell it) and I didnt really understand it and didnt want to sound stupid so i just agreed lol.Can you explain this please ?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
radweld

The Dihedral is the angle of one wing to the other, as you will have noticed the wings point upwards like a V. This is th dihedral, you need to bend the metal tube so that the two CF rods have an angle that is the same as the wings.

Quick Reply: Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10736 seconds with 11 queries