Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Aviator24

Nicely Done! How does she fly?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
JohnMcGowan

Hio guys, Ive been watching you all with the mods you are doing, all are great!!
I recieved my Turnigy 35-30 1700 kv motor and other goodies from HobbyCity yesterday and that will be going in the PZ 190 I recently got and plan on powering that with a zippy 2200 3s 20c lipo along with a
40 amp esc .Im taking off from work tomorrow to maybe do a little work on the fw190.... and yes, Im taking off because it IS my birthday!!
Later,
John
Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by JohnMcGowan View Post
Hio guys, Ive been watching you all with the mods you are doing, all are great!!
I recieved my Turnigy 35-30 1700 kv motor and other goodies from HobbyCity yesterday and that will be going in the PZ 190 I recently got and plan on powering that with a zippy 2200 3s 20c lipo along with a
40 amp esc .Im taking off from work tomorrow to maybe do a little work on the fw190.... and yes, Im taking off because it IS my birthday!!
Later,
John

Interesting,

first off happy birthday there, second what prop will you spin with the 1700Kv motor? That seems like an interesting setup, that 40amp ESC should be more then enough combined with the 2200mah 20c lipo.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM
JohnMcGowan

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
Interesting,

first off happy birthday there, second what prop will you spin with the 1700Kv motor? That seems like an interesting setup, that 40amp ESC should be more then enough combined with the 2200mah 20c lipo.
Thanks DH, Im chillin today at my crib , sure beats working on my birthday!! LOL
Im not sure what prop will be the best match, I went and picked up several props yesterday at the local hobby shop, anything from from an 8x4 all the way up to an 10 inch ( all apc props)... Im 'thinking the 8x8 is gonna work out pretty sweet, but will just have to borrow a fellow flyers watts meter and let it tell me whats really going on. I got the Turnigy 35-30 and will have to go back to the HC's website to see what the max numbers tells me I can get out of that motor. Got any thing to ad as far as "not to do" with this motor, ie.. what amps /watts /rpms not to exceed, etc..? And whats your thinking on the props listed above? I'll bet the 10 inch will overload that motor(?) but I just went to apc's website and went down the list and picked all the ones from 8 to 10 inch as I was talking to the local hobby store on the phone to get them to order them.. I got a couple of 9 inchers too to try.
Thanks,
John ( the birfday boy)
Old 11-22-2008, 01:24 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

What concerns me is the Kv rating on the motor 1700kv IMO won't go very well with the 8x8 prop. My prediction is with a static bench test you will be over the 40 amps (or atleast very close), but worse yet over what the motor is rated at. I just urge you to use caution, BTW the static bench test will read a higher amp then what the plane wil have in flight. I use a high speed fan pushing air into the prop to get a better gauge with the watt meter.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
What concerns me is the Kv rating on the motor 1700kv IMO won't go very well with the 8x8 prop. My prediction is with a static bench test you will be over the 40 amps (or atleast very close), but worse yet over what the motor is rated at. I just urge you to use caution, BTW the static bench test will read a higher amp then what the plane wil have in flight. I use a high speed fan pushing air into the prop to get a better gauge with the watt meter.

Keep us posted on your progress.
I too would be concerned about the Kv on that motor - it is a little too hot. The 35-30 comes in three flavors, A - 1700Kv, B - 1400Kv, and C - 1100Kv.

I think the B might be more flexible when it comes to pairing it with a prop to keep your batteries and your 40A ESC happy.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.

Josh
Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 PM
SpitfireTrembly

Default Thanks

Thanks for the kind words on my mods Aviator24 and Abagnalejr123!
Just as soon as the weather improves here, i'll go test it all out. It has been far too windy here to fly!
But that's fine...I am still waiting on my lighter Li-Po's to arrive to help compensate for any additional weight i've added with these modification projects. But to be honest??? i compared the weight of my mod'ed. Spitfire to my untouched RTF Out of the box Spitfire, and with the added retracts and the rudder mods there is really no noticed difference in weight.
I 'll try and do my best to offer the forum an actual weight of this fully converted bird compared to the standard Out of the Box bird.
If anyone has found out the "actual" weight of the out of box Spitfire (with or without battery weight) i can give a much more accurate weight of the added hardware....but it really isn't that much!!!!
With the parkzone Spitfire in one hand and the mod in the other...i can't feel a difference in weight, so we're only talking a few grams in weight.

What i don't think some understand is that you have to take away quite a bit more of the Styrofoam away to install the retracts. More is removed , (to make the retracts work), than what the retracts actually weigh. So there is very little weight gained.
But i will do my best to find a way to weigh the converted Spitfire and find out just how many grams i've added with the retracts and rudder modifications.

I DID check my center of gravity tonight (with a battery) and it is still within 65-70mm from the front edge of the wing. So i'd say i haven't done too much to mess this bird up too much!
Once i get all the changes dialed in i'll post a video of it.
I splurged and bought a Flycamone 2 that i can mount on my hat and shoot it that way and then mount it on the bird and shoot some vid that way.
But because of the mod's i am not going to go fly this one until the weather improves!!! waaaaay too windy here!
But i hope my photos show that you can make your parkzone Spitfire fully functional. And i see that most of what we've been tinkering with on the Spitfire... Parkzone has dumped into their F4u Corsair (brushless motor, and a rudder).
So i think they ARE watching how the after-market folks butcher up their warbirds.
But i see they don't have a retractable version available yet (of the Corsair).

Anyone wanna buy me one to go tear into and make it work??? LOL!
I'll do it. I love that plane as well. Such a cool wing design just as the Spitfire wing design.
I'd love to go figure that out and make their landing gear work!
That would be a project!
-Jay
Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Aviator24

Jay,
I would not worry too much about the added weight. One thing I know, the Parkzone Spitfire can handle added weight without any trouble. My current airframe has been in two trees. Between the roll and a half of duct tape, 2 bottles of Ca glue and a 224 gram (8 ounce) Lipo, mine flies fine!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

when i converted my spitfire to have the rudder/pilot mod, adding the carbon fiber rods, and brushless motor my plane still weighed less then the stock plane.

here it is in action:

http://media.putfile.com/mod-for-PKZ-spitfire-RC-plane
Old 11-22-2008, 05:46 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I too would be concerned about the Kv on that motor - it is a little too hot. The 35-30 comes in three flavors, A - 1700Kv, B - 1400Kv, and C - 1100Kv.

I think the B might be more flexible when it comes to pairing it with a prop to keep your batteries and your 40A ESC happy.

Josh
I am not so much worried about the Kv more then i am concerned with the match up of the prop. That motor will do a fine job flying this plane, but i do agree that the 1400Kv motor IMO i a good choice. With the right prop that 1700Kv i am sure will deliver more then enough power and speed.

Be smart when you choose your prop.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
JohnMcGowan

Josh
Well guys, I tried the Turnigy 3530 1700kv motor out last night, hooked up thru a wattmater. I started out with a balanced APC 8x4 prop and ran it about 40 seconds,got about 29 amps with that, then tried an 8x6 , got 32 amps, then about 15 seconds into the 8x6, the bearings started squealing badly and then smoke came out of the motor... ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!
Im using a simple series 40 amp esc and a 22003s lipo, all from HobbyCity.
According to the wattsmeter... I wasnt overstressing this motor. Ive shot an email off to HC to see if I can get a warranty replacement on the motor, if they say yes., should I get a different kv motor to replace this one,.. maybe the 1400kv or 1100kv?
What do yall think?
Thanks,
John
Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JohnMcGowan View Post
Well guys, I tried the Turnigy 3530 1700kv motor out last night, hooked up thru a wattmater. I started out with a balanced APC 8x4 prop and ran it about 40 seconds,got about 29 amps with that, then tried an 8x6 , got 32 amps, then about 15 seconds into the 8x6, the bearings started squealing badly and then smoke came out of the motor... ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!
Im using a simple series 40 amp esc and a 22003s lipo, all from HobbyCity.
According to the wattsmeter... I wasnt overstressing this motor. Ive shot an email off to HC to see if I can get a warranty replacement on the motor, if they say yes., should I get a different kv motor to replace this one,.. maybe the 1400kv or 1100kv?
What do yall think?
Thanks,
John
As I said before and I think DetroitHawk concurred, the 1400Kv motor is gonna give you the most flexibility vis. prop selection.

I'd go with the B.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 PM
beavenx5

Default Turnigy 35-30C

I had a Turnigy 35-30C (1100kv) spinning the stock 9.5X7.5 prop on my PZ trojan. Pretty good performance, a little better than with the stock Park480 motor. If my memory is good, I was drawing 19 amps with the stock prop. I also tried a MAS 10X8 prop for a very short while before crashing the plane Pilot error...

I belieive the 35-30C could be a good motor for the PZ spitfire paired with a 10X7 or a 10X8 prop.

I got a second 35-30C to power my 5lbs P-38 (twin 35-30C) with 10X8CR props. I will report on this here after the Xmas holiday.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
TbigD

Im gonna do the spit with a turnegy sk 3542-1250 , 3 cell 2350 30c battery , should be about 600-650 watts , i now have it in my formosa 2 , works pretty good....Dennis
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 PM
JohnMcGowan

Thanks ground. I'll maybe have to give that one(the 1400kv) a go once ( if ever) I hear back from HC.
Question; how does one know whats the max amp rating on a given motor, in other words, is there a formula that one uses if there is no listed rating on a motor from the manufacturer?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
I had a Turnigy 35-30C (1100kv) spinning the stock 9.5X7.5 prop on my PZ trojan. Pretty good performance, a little better than with the stock Park480 motor. If my memory is good, I was drawing 19 amps with the stock prop. I also tried a MAS 10X8 prop for a very short while before crashing the plane Pilot error...

I belieive the 35-30C could be a good motor for the PZ spitfire paired with a 10X7 or a 10X8 prop.

I got a second 35-30C to power my 5lbs P-38 (twin 35-30C) with 10X8CR props. I will report on this here after the Xmas holiday.

Its been said here that the 1100Kv robs you of some of the possible top speed that you might get with the hotter B model, and I can picture that in my mind. I can also see how it can be useful on something like a twin, but for top speed I think the B is a good compromise.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
beavenx5

Its been said here that the 1100Kv robs you of some of the possible top speed that you might get with the hotter B model, and I can picture that in my mind. I can also see how it can be useful on something like a twin, but for top speed I think the B is a good compromise.
I am fairly new with all this and I understand the concept of lower Kv = mor torque but less top speed. If I understand what you are saying, the B is better for the lighter 2 pound Spitfire and will give it more top speed but might not be enough torque for the heavier (5.25 lb) twin engine P-38.

Can you confirm if I get this right.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

It all depends on what prop size you use, that motor will produce enough thrust to get you plane off the ground if you use the right prop.

The larger the diameter the prop is the slower the plane will fly but you will end up with more thrust (just at a lower prop pitch speed which will give you a lower top end)

The major problem with a 1100kv motor is that it gives you fewer options when it comes to picking props. IMO
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 PM
TbigD

Unhappy

I got the spit today , is it just mine or is this a piece of junk? the wing looks like someone took a camo garbage bag and crimped it on to the wing , leaving a 1/8 inch seam sticking out all around the wing , can that seam be trimmed flush? or maybe heat sealed down ? , the motor was on with 3 of the 4 screws , the ailerons barely move , i see why they had to order one for me, if i saw it before i bought it , i wouldnt have , you look at the corsair , and its really clean and nice , but this........looks like something you would have seen out 10 yrs ago , o well .i see i have my work cut out for me ........Dennis
Old 12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Give it a chance

That's the way the wings look. Do you plan to fly it with the stock radio, battery and motor? You might be better off taking it back and getting a Corsair.

Originally Posted by TbigD View Post
I got the spit today , is it just mine or is this a piece of junk? the wing looks like someone took a camo garbage bag and crimped it on to the wing , leaving a 1/8 inch seam sticking out all around the wing , can that seam be trimmed flush? or maybe heat sealed down ? , the motor was on with 3 of the 4 screws , the ailerons barely move , i see why they had to order one for me, if i saw it before i bought it , i wouldnt have , you look at the corsair , and its really clean and nice , but this........looks like something you would have seen out 10 yrs ago , o well .i see i have my work cut out for me ........Dennis
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
TbigD

No , i was gonna use a turnegy sk 3542-1250 , 2250 30c 3 cell ,9x9 apc e prop , eclispe 7 radio , cc tbird 54 speed control , about 630 watts , 2 digital bb mg servos for ailerons ,hs 82mg for elevator , burg reciever....
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile Set up

No , i was gonna use a turnegy sk 3542-1250 , 2250 30c 3 cell ,9x9 apc e prop , eclispe 7 radio , cc tbird 54 speed control , about 630 watts , 2 digital bb mg servos for ailerons ,hs 82mg for elevator , burg reciever....
Sounds good. Might be a little on the heavy side. It will have plenty of power! You might want to put a cf spar in the wing.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Brutikus

How do you take the stock spinner off the motor shaft?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
LectricPlane

Default Removing the parkzone spitfire spinner

Originally Posted by Brutikus View Post
How do you take the stock spinner off the motor shaft?
Reasonably easy to remove, just squeeze the back half to deform it to an oval shape, behind the split line, and the front will pop off. You might have to use your nail or a small flat driver to gently lever it, be carefull if you use a driver as it marks easily. Once the front is off it will be obvious what to do next... nut & washer is behind it.

-----

That is MANY MUCH power for this plane!
I'd never say too much but you are probably going to have to upgrade the links to ailerons/elevator (esp the ailerons) and reinfoirce wing/fuse ,,
or fly really really carefully.

Might be a bit heavy?
I have noticed my low speed handeling (on glide in to land..) has gone a bit touchy after I upgraded, All up @ 830grams now...

Last edited by LectricPlane; 02-19-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added 2nd reply
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LectricPlane View Post
That is MANY MUCH power for this plane!
I'd never say too much but you are probably going to have to upgrade the links to ailerons/elevator (esp the ailerons) and reinfoirce wing/fuse ,,
or fly really really carefully.

Might be a bit heavy?
I have noticed my low speed handeling (on glide in to land..) has gone a bit touchy after I upgraded, All up @ 830grams now...

Haahaha ridiculous. 300+ Watts per pound - this is no longer a plane, it is a missile. I'll be interested to see if the airframe can take it. My bet is no.

Just like to remind you that this plane has habits that are only exacerbated by more power, so be ready to pick up the pieces (or, more likely, dig them from out of the earth!) lol

GRU

Quick Reply: Converting PZ Spitfire to brushless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19543 seconds with 12 queries