RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i and Ailerons - need help

Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default DX6i and Ailerons - need help

Both my aileons activate in the down position....as soon as the battery is connected.

Tx - DX6i with Spektrum AR6200 Rx. All connections checked. I have separate servos for both ailerons with Y harness.

I'd like standard controls and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 01:44 AM
jhouvener

To Capt. Easy
I too have the dx6i tx. To start with they have a lousy manuel for instructions, plus that roller set up to program drives me nuts. I'm sorry I bought that radio. I had the same set-up as you- one servo in each wing half for ailerons. To make a long story short I finally called the number in the manuel for help in programing each aileron.
Rather than I trying to tell you what to do, I suggest you call their help no.
John R. Houvener
Old 09-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Thanks John, I think it must be a programing issue but no idea how to correct it yet. I had the same problem initially when I tried to set up my Gee Bee the first time but can't remeber what I did to fix it.
I agree about the manual also.
ce
Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default mmmmmm.... not sure.

Hi CPT Easy.

Great to hear from you. 'Sorry to hear about your troubles. It almost sounds like a "Flaperon" switch is activated. My DX6 manual is pretty ambiguous about some of the more advanced features.
I would only have two suggestions:

1. Move to a blank model on your transmitter. This is like setting everything to the default position. If the problem goes away, you know it is with the programming of the model.
2. Swap the aeleron servo lead with the rudder servo lead at the transmitter. If the servos act fine with the left thumb channel four stick, then you kno it's something else.

Either way please keep us posted.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Dick, is this happening in the Gee Bee again, or in a different plane? Are you using the same Rx or a different one? If it's different, try binding again. If not I would go with what John was saying. Good luck and keep us posted friend.

Mike
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Mike-
Talked to John earlier and he said you back home. Sorry yo had to come back under the circumstances. Hope your wife is doing okay.

The Gee Bee suffered some damage during the fatal "one more landing" scenerio after I returned home. Totally pilot error I believe although she wasn't flying as well as she did with you guys....seemed unstable.

I have most of the repairs completed except the right wing tip but may be able to finish that by tomorrow or next.

Tonight I did a control check and both aileron servos are doing the same thing as before when I first tried the servo check following the initial build.
When the Rcv is bound, both aileron servos immediately move to the full down position as soon as I plug the battery in. All other servos and motor resond normally.
I can't remember what we did to fix that problem last time. Was is during my visit or before I left to drive there???

I swapped rudder and aileron plugs in the receiver but same thing....
Also checked contols as a new model on the Tx and same thing.

I'm going to try and post some photos of the damage on the other Gee Bee thread if your interested.

Best
Old 09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Dick...she's doing much better now. Man, send that radio back and get a new one, or just hold down a few more bucks and get the DX7. You'll end up getting it later on anyways. I hope you get it worked out friend, if not chuck that thing and get a better one.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
beavenx5

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Both my aileons activate in the down position....as soon as the battery is connected.

Tx - DX6i with Spektrum AR6200 Rx. All connections checked. I have separate servos for both ailerons with Y harness.

Thanks

I don't think this is a DX6i problem because of the Y harness. The radio don't know there are 2 servos for the ailerons and work them both the same. I had the same problem when I replaced only one aileron servo on my T-28 with a different brand, they were both working the same way...

One solution (if possible) is to reverse one servo physically in the wing to reverse its action. A second solution could be to reverse the + and - leads (- is black or brown and + is red or orange) on one servo lead only before the Y harness to reverse its operation. A third solution, the best and easiest one I beleive, is to plug each servo separately in the receiver and program them as flaperons.
To plug them as flaperons, plug the Right(starboard) aileron into the aileron slot and left (port) aileron into either the aux1 or the gear slot of your receiver. Then go into the menu and chose the flaperon option and program the servo reverse as needed.

I hope this can help.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Thanks so much for all your input here guys.

I believe it's an operator malfunction and I may have programed the Tx incorrectly...however after double checking I still can't discover what it is.

I'm call Horizon Hobby and get back to you....

Cheers
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
beavenx5

I disagree with your statement about having programmed the Tx incorrectly:

If you are still connected to a Y harness then both servos gets the same input from the Tx no matter what you program in the Tx. (I don't see any other possibility given they only have 3 leads: positive, negative and signal)

If both servos are identical, then they both turn clockwise (or counterclock) with the same input from the Tx. If you insist on using the Y harness, you need to flip one servo over itself so it pushs on the rod while the other pulls when they both turn clockwise, or, in the second option, inverse the +/- leads on one of the servos so one turns clockwise while the other turns counterclock under the same input from the Tx.

If you want to program the Tx differently, then don't use the Y harness and use a different channel for each aileron. ( I don't have much experience there but I don't see any other way to do it)
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Problem Solved

Called Horizon and the tech solved the problem.
The servos needed to be "electronically centered".

If I can remember the process correctly -

1) Access "MONITOR" on the DX6i display and note all the control displays are centered ( except throttle) Turn Tx off.

2.) Connect battery with Bind Plug in and rebind Tx to Rx

3.) Ailerons should now be even with wing

4.) Move aileron servos and confirm opposite directions

5.) Aileron surfaces should remain even with wing

6.) Confirm/Reposition servo arms 90 degress from conrtol arms

7.) Adjust aileron clevises to maintain neutral or even with trailing edge of wing surface

(If anyone with more experience with the procedure notes I've left something out please mention it)

Life is good
Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Rodneh

Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
I don't think this is a DX6i problem because of the Y harness. The radio don't know there are 2 servos for the ailerons and work them both the same. I had the same problem when I replaced only one aileron servo on my T-28 with a different brand, they were both working the same way...

One solution (if possible) is to reverse one servo physically in the wing to reverse its action. A second solution could be to reverse the + and - leads (- is black or brown and + is red or orange) on one servo lead only before the Y harness to reverse its operation.

NO NO NO THIS IS A SURE WAY TO BURN OUT THE SERVO.

A third solution, the best and easiest one I beleive, is to plug each servo separately in the receiver and program them as flaperons.
To plug them as flaperons, plug the Right(starboard) aileron into the aileron slot and left (port) aileron into either the aux1 or the gear slot of your receiver. Then go into the menu and chose the flaperon option and program the servo reverse as needed.

I hope this can help.
You cannot reverse the power leads without burning out the servo.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Servos can be reversed, but they must be disassembled and the wiring changed internally. I understand it is not difficult to accomplish, but disassembly, soldering and reassembly is required.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Called Horizon and the tech solved the problem.
The servos needed to be "electronically centered".

If I can remember the process correctly -

1) Access "MONITOR" on the DX6i display and note all the control displays are centered ( except throttle) Turn Tx off.

2.) Connect battery with Bind Plug in and rebind Tx to Rx

3.) Ailerons should now be even with wing

4.) Move aileron servos and confirm opposite directions

5.) Aileron surfaces should remain even with wing

6.) Confirm/Reposition servo arms 90 degress from conrtol arms

7.) Adjust aileron clevises to maintain neutral or even with trailing edge of wing surface

(If anyone with more experience with the procedure notes I've left something out please mention it)

Life is good
This process should be done with all servos we install. They don't necessarily come from the factory with the servo arm attached in a centered position. Then we take the servo arm off and put it back on several times, usually. It gets out of its centered position and chaos results.

Last edited by Rabbitcreekok; 09-18-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
jhouvener

To Capt. Easy;

If you use the Y harness, you can get from the local good hobby dealer a short lead that has a servo reverse built into it. this you plug into one side of the y harness. if they turn the wrong way, simply reverse at the TX. However with two servos in the wing, I like to put one sevo on aile. channel and the other servo on aux. 1 channel and program through tx. on flap function. John
Old 10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Ken Croft

Thanks
There is no need to use a Y lead because the DX6i has a program specifically for using one servo for each aileron. Just go to the Setup List/Dual Aileron and activate it. [Page 45 in the manual shows how]. You then use the Aileron channel for one servo and the Aux for the other aileron, and use the reverse menu to get the servos going the direction that you want.
Beware that if you ever use the Elevon wing type with the DX6i you may not ever be able to get the correct servo directions for both the ailerons and elevator function if you connect the servos as per the manual. It says left aileron to aileron port, and right aileron to elevator port. In some cases the setup will only work correctly if this is reversed, ie left aileron to elevator port, and right aileron to the aileron port.
As others have said, a Y lead just sends the same signal to each servo, so no way can they go opposite ways if they are the same make and model of servo.
If you persist in using a Y lead, you could look for another make of servo that comes with reverse rotation, or if you are good with small soldering you could reverse the direction of one of your servos yourself. There is not a lot to it, but it is delicate stuff. All you do is open the servo and reverse the wires to the servo motor, then reverse the outer connections to the feedback pot. The feedback pot is the small item left inside the servo when you carefully pull the tiny amplifier out. The pot has 3 wires going to it from the servo amplifier. Leave the centre one connected but unsolder and reverse the outer ones. This is most easily done at the pot end of the wires but of course could be done at the amplifier end, which will be more accessible. I just did this on an HS82MG because I have a Y lead to a pair of servos driving tv brakes in a glider wing, and I didn't want to mess with mixers.
Hope this helps
Ken
Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Default servo setup

Sounds like we are making this complicated.

We need to look at the servo setup, a picture would help. The servo arms should be set in opposite directions when using dual servos, either both pointing inboard or both pointing outboard. That reverse's the travel of the servo arm and gives you opposite travel without any programing. The "Y" connector is bridge spliced in parallel and sends the same signal to both servos.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 10-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Problem Solved

Thanks for your input guys....The problem was solved a while back.
Keep 'em Flyin'