General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What would cause my DX6i to loose its binding?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:12 PM
popriv

Default What would cause my DX6i to loose its binding?

About 2 weeks ago I had trouble buddyboxing my DX6i.
I was ready to solo so we didnt worry to much about it.

The timer can be assigned to either the trainer switch or the engine kill button.
Now it will only work with the engine kill button

It appears that my trainer switch has broken.

Not a big deal until I realized that if I have to bind to a receiver I wont be able to.. I have two receivers/models bound now. I'll return the TX to spectrum this winter for repair under warranty.

So I can continue to fly until the weather turns to bad, I have to be careful not to lose the bind on my current RX's

Is there anything I could do that would cause them to unbind?

Steve
Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

as long as they are staying bound currently, I haven't heard of any issues where they would come unbound...
SK
Old 10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Damp Rabbit

In the manual on page 12 under "Adjusting the control stick tension", they have a picture of the DX6i with the back off. You can see it's just a normal switch and not soldered to a circuit board or anything. If you feel comfy diving in there it might be an easy fix.

I sent one in earlier for repair and it took a few weeks so if you can't wait or just want to rig something quickly for an emergency bind it shouldn't be too tough.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
popriv

Thanks for the info...If I can wait until snow falls I'll send it in under warranty but if I have to bind something I'll look at replacing the switch myself???

Steve
Old 10-07-2008, 03:52 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

If it really is a broken switch, call horizon and ask to get it fixed. Be polite and they'll probably take care of you. they took care of me.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
richg99

Yes, I had to send a DX6 in for a replacement slide switch still under warranty, but by only a few days!.

After a week, I called and asked "how long?"... they said ten to fifteen days. Three days later, my one year old DX6 showed up. They replaced four switches and the antenna which I had broken! Great people to deal with. Rich
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
popriv

Well I did lose my binding the other day!

I got to the field with my Electric easy glider and was ready to maiden with my new outrunner motor. Checked everything out, motor good, controls good but still a little nose heavy. I unplugged battery, CA'd a penny onto the fusalage by the tail to balance.
Turned on TX and as I plugged the battery in I saw the word bind on the TX screen and that was it, I lost my bind to the plane...
I had thought my trainer switch was broken as it wont start my timer anymore but I gave it a try and was able to bind the reciever to the TX..

I'm not sure whats up with the trainer switch now but glad it letme bind...

Steve
Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 PM
richg99

Sounds like the trainer switch is intermittent (at best). I'd be getting that fixed asap...if it could cause you to lose your bind. What happens if you had a plane up and it acted up..and you lost your bind??? I'd think the plane would just fly off into the wild blue ...Rich
Old 10-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Damp Rabbit

I don't see how a bad TX switch would cause him to lose his bind as an RX should only bind with the bind plug in. I would guess there is a flaw in the RX, possibly a shorting of the pins where the bind plug goes?

edit: I guess the TX could be losing it's part of the bind now that I think a little more.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Twmaster

On just about every Spektrum DSM radio if you activate the bind mode on the TX it -will- wipe out the currently bound RX info for that model number.

Personally, I would not fly that TX until you've had Horizon's service department evaluate and repair it.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Tinlid

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
On just about every Spektrum DSM radio if you activate the bind mode on the TX it -will- wipe out the currently bound RX info for that model number.

Personally, I would not fly that TX until you've had Horizon's service department evaluate and repair it.
You did mean with the bind plug plugged in to the RX as i have both the DX6 AND DX6i on the DX6 you press the bind button on the back to range check before flying.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post

Thats Very Interesting, I've tested that theory with a dx6, dx7, Jr9303 and that didn't happen on mine?
SK