General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Quick Review: Large Wal*Mart "Flight Box" - $11

Old 04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Default Quick Review: Large Wal*Mart "Flight Box" - $11

My wife dragged me to Wal*Mart yesterday night. It turns out that I'm remarkably good at killing time in Wal*Mart. Electronics, tools, guns, flashlights...

In the back of my mind, I had decided that I need a new, bigger flight box. One that had room for my transmitter, 7 Ah lead acid battery, charger, all my flight packs, etc.

I noticed this beauty as I was walking down the aisle.

Design Features:
  1. The construction is sturdy. It's sturdy enough to sit on.
  2. The segmented compartments in the lid are removable. This is quite handy, as your smaller battery packs fit in here nicely.
  3. The large storage area is big enough for the biggest things you need to carry with you.
  4. The removable tray is plenty big for the basic hand tools you'll need in the field, and/or props. I like how it is divided so you can store batteries in parts of it and keep their terminals away from potential shorts.
  5. The center, non-removeable compartment in the lid is sized for a standard 25' tape measure, and is pretty deep. There are room for smaller packs in there.
If you decide to remove the dividers in the lid compartments to make room for more LiPos, be careful in doing so. If you just try to break them off, you'll split the side of them. They're much sturdier than they look. Even after scoring them with a razor, I managed to split the sides of them. I also tried cutting them with a knife, and that split the sides. They're not flmsy. So the bottom line is to use a smallish saw or something that requires less force.

Box Contents:(for your reference)
  1. Lid: Battery packs. In the right container, upper-left slot is a Thunderpower 3S 1320. Below that is an Apogee 3S 1570. Surrounding those are the 7 cell, 900 mAh sub C KAN packs.
  2. Lid: In the left container, center compartment is a Hyperion 3S 2100. Surrounding that are prop adapters, velcro, a swiss army knife, and a flim canister with tiny stuff.
  3. Lid: In the center compartment are my two GWS 8 cell 750 mAh AAA packs.
  4. Tray: Miscellaneous tools, a couple of 8 cell, 3.6 Ah NiMH packs for the TwinStar II, a small LED flashlight, and a syringe of 5 minute epoxy. The small holes in the tray are for 1/4" hex screwdriver bits.
  5. Bottom: 7 Ah lead acid battery, a couple of chargers, sunglasses, strapping tape, electrical tape, wattmeter, squishy soccer ball and empty Hobby-Lobby box to keep contents from shifting, fleece gloves, a transmitter, and gap-filling CA.

One minor thing is that the dividers in the sub-containers are not easily removable. However, keeping in mind that this is only $11, I don't mind a bit of manual labor.

A comparably-sized tackle box costs about $25-35 for all those dividers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldBox1.jpg
Views:	2246
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	9722   Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldBox2.jpg
Views:	2788
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	9723   Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldBox3.jpg
Views:	2242
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	9724   Click image for larger version

Name:	FieldBox4.jpg
Views:	2316
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	9725  
Old 04-08-2006, 03:12 PM
skiman762
FFFC

That looks like a good setup
How long does the 7ah last charging your batts at the field?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:20 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

HE, HE, HE.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I purchased something similar at "Dollar World" four plus months ago.

Since they were priced "right" I bough ten of them and gave seven away to some of my flying buddies as X-Mas "presents". Kept the rest for myself. :o

Nope, I am not cheap, just frugal.

PS: Wally's box looks nifty, though I wouldn't dream of putting any of my TXs. in that box.

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM
MountainFlyer

Jeremy,
I have the exact same box .. well except yours is less messy than mine
Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

What about this one from Stanley? My wife has one for all her bead jewelry stuff, and I'm planning on getting one for my field kit. Only $20 at Wally World last time I looked.

Pat

Name:	Stanley Tool Box.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	9750  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I like that one too Pat...

Qban, What do you tote your transmitter around in? I'm looking for something to keep mine in.

By the way Pat, My cessna is flying great. I ended up going with the park 400 on it.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
What about this one from Stanley? My wife has one for all her bead jewelry stuff, and I'm planning on getting one for my field kit. Only $20 at Wally World last time I looked.

Pat
Pat, I saw that one and checked it out. It is the right height for sitting on! But in the end, I decided that it would take up too much valuable room in my small car that could otherwise be used for planes! The one I got cost $11 instead of $25-30, and it fits behind the passenger seat. If I had gotten the bigger one, as you show, it would have to be either in the trunk, or broken down into two parts to fit it in front of & behind the passenger seat.

So if you think you need that much storage and you don't ming lugging more stuff around...

On the other hand, you wouldn't be doing as much lugging, since it's on wheels.

I guess it comes down to how much room you can dedicate to it in your car. I like to take as many planes as I can jam in my hatch when I go, hehehe.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:43 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I like that one too Pat...

Qban, What do you tote your transmitter around in? I'm looking for something to keep mine in.

By the way Pat, My cessna is flying great. I ended up going with the park 400 on it.
An internally padded, aluminum Tool Box by Husky purchased at Homer's Depot. I have two of them, as I carry four TXs to the field on occasion. See attached photo. Flap on inside lid is to carry tools around, on back of the flap I carry my flight log book. Middle partition is for Li-Pos.

Very much like a JR case without the name and price tag. I'm the eternal cheapskate, under $20 each, cheaper on sale at Harbor Freight at times. Lockable too!

Name:	TX-carrier.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	9752  

Old 04-09-2006, 02:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Very professional looking Qban... I may have to copycat that one
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Originally Posted by qban flyer
Nope, I am not cheap, just frugal.

Hey, the less you spend on toolboxes, the more you'll have for RC, right? We've got to have our priorities!

Originally Posted by qban flyer
Wally's box looks nifty, though I wouldn't dream of putting any of my TXs. in that box.
As long as you don't put so much crap down there that things are falling on top of it, it won't be an issue. I'm going to get some high end packing foam from work and carve it up to fit the Tx. I just need to keep it from banging against the side of the box and it'll be OK.

Originally Posted by skiman762
How long does the 7ah last charging your batts at the field?
You can figure it out by dividing the capacity of this battery (7000 mAh) by the capacity of the batteries you're charging. So for my 3600 mAh packs. it would charge... 1.94 of them. For the li'l GWS 750 mAh packs, it would charge 9.3 of them. It comes out just about like that in practice too.

Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I saw that and checked it out. I like that it is at the right height for sitting on and lining up your charger with your car battery, but I don't like how bulky it is. The space that box takes up in the car would be better used for more planes! Of course, it depends on the size of your car and how many planes you'd like to bring, but in a Honda CRX (like yours) or a Civic hatchback (like mine) space for planes is already at a premium.

If I had a minivan or pickup, I'd have thought more seriously about that one.

Heck, in another 5-10 years, I might have kids & a minivan, and that box will be $11.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Very professional looking Qban... I may have to copycat that one
Thanks FB.

Errr! I may advise you that I have Copyrighted the partition arrangements inside.

Really a nifty carrier.

I like JZ's and crxmanpat's but I already have three similar to one and would carry the larger one to the field if were in the mood to do some crashing and repairs while there as it looks like a nice full sized shop on wheels.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah I like both of theirs as well. I've got a big ol red ford pick up with a high top camper shell on it. Named him BART (big a#% red truck)!

I can pretty much take my whole shop with me. I just need someway to arrange it all.

ps Jeremy, I've got a minivan too!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Twmaster

Wally world is evil. I have not set foot in a Wally World in almost 4 years.

*spit*

I also use the aluminum skinned foam lined cases for my TX. I get mine at Lowe's for $24.95 each. The ones at Harbor Freight do not come with the foam insert though.

And just to toss it out there on the floor, I drive a Chevy pickup with a back seat to put my gear in.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:09 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Yeah I like both of theirs as well. I've got a big ol red ford pick up with a high top camper shell on it. Named him BART (big a#% red truck)!

I can pretty much take my whole shop with me. I just need someway to arrange it all.

ps Jeremy, I've got a minivan too!
Youse rich guys, I only have so much room in my Kia to carry R/C stuff around. Besides gas costs too much these days.

Kia Spectra (specter?), gas prices, there I go again, the eternal cheap one!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

A Kia? does't that stand for Killed in action?

Did you hear the bringing the Yugo's back? as a station wagon now...

gonna call 'em a Wego
Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 AM
Twmaster

<snicker>

gonna call 'em a Wego
<groan>
Old 04-09-2006, 03:22 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

<groan>

Yeah I know Mike... my feeble attempt at humor
Old 04-09-2006, 03:24 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

gonna call 'em a Wego
If it is as reliable as the original You-Go, the We-Go won't go anywhere.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 AM
rca

Let's don't get started on the poor Yugo. I was once an auditor for a Yugo dealership and had to read all the warranty claims, that was the most fun I ever had, laughed for days.

Just a sample:
  • Steering wheel came off in hand while turning
  • Gearshift detached from tranny while driving
  • Brake pedal broke off while breaking
  • Door handle broke off in hand, unable to exit
Jeremy I have the exact same case too, love it.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:37 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I was at a car show in Virginia Beach last year and a guy had a restored Yugo there

All I could think of was, WHY???
Old 04-09-2006, 04:46 AM
skiman762
FFFC

I had a yugo once
I went to napa and ask if I could get a gas cap for my yugo
the clerk said that would be a fair trade
They did a safety survey to see what cars kept their owners safe from head injuries during a crash they had to leave yugo owners out of the survey because they figured most of them all ready had some sort of head injury

All these nice flight boxes I may have to get rid of my cardboard box and upgrade I did spring the 2.99 for the heavy duty dish moving box from home depot
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Twmaster

One of the local Yugo dealers here was also a Lincoln dealer. Near the end he was offering a free Yugo with the purchase of a Lincoln. I'd suspect the price of the Lincoln was higher without the Yugo....

Old 04-09-2006, 04:54 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

get a gas cap for my Yugo Now that's a good one...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

The Yugo does have one nice standard feature. It has a heated rear window. That way your hands don't get cold while pushing it in the winter. You can also easily tripple the value of one by filling it with gas.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:55 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Originally Posted by skiman762 View Post
I had a yugo once
I went to napa and ask if I could get a gas cap for my yugo
the clerk said that would be a fair trade
They did a safety survey to see what cars kept their owners safe from head injuries during a crash they had to leave yugo owners out of the survey because they figured most of them all ready had some sort of head injury

All these nice flight boxes I may have to get rid of my cardboard box and upgrade I did spring the 2.99 for the heavy duty dish moving box from home depot
HAR, HAR, HAR! Very good!

Quick Reply: Quick Review: Large Wal*Mart "Flight Box" - $11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11947 seconds with 19 queries