E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

Setting up Blade CP with Spektrum DX6?

Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Brutal E

Default Setting up Blade CP with Spektrum DX6?

Should I just dump the 4 in 1 and outfit it with new stuff? I bought an extra DX6 RX. So if I did what would be some good gear to do it with. ESC? Brushless motor? Tail set up? Gyro? What about the 4 in 1 mod? What are my options? I hear outfitting it with all new gear makes the CP a monster. I might just go this route. Would love to hear suggestions.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:36 AM
aramsdell

Default Blade separates

Brutal E , Al here in Sanford Me.
I've been flying my latest BCP with an Eflite/Hacker E3 series 3700kv
with the 8 tooth pinion from an 8t blade motor-not the stock but the 1 available from LHS or Eflite. $10 gets a 370 brushed with 2mm shaft 8 t pinion. 3s 900mah gives long flights, 1320 even longer. Great Planes
BL-12 controller. Tail is a gws 50 mounted in the stock mount(requires a little material removal) with the pinion from a stock tail rotor drilled out and locktited on. You will find any extra weight at the rear requires your battery to be far forward. If you go the separates route then you may try this..... remove the landing gear/ battery holder tray from the rest of the heli. you will cut a piece of 1/16 or 1/8 ply as wide as the rails of the battery tray and starting 1/4" aft of the rear gear legs going forward well past the front of the tray. Use the canopy as a guide for length and shape. Cut away material where the landing gear legs come up so this new equipment tray lays flat on top of the front and rear spreaders for the gear but when the gear is pushed through and held by the silicone rings the tray is held in place. drill a hole where the front canopy mount hits the plywood so the plastic lays flat on the wood. you can drill 2 holes under the motor mount bolts if you want . Now the canopy is secured by the rear rod and a piece of foam rubber stuffed into the nose of the canopy. Secure the battery UNDER the tray with a long strip of velcro on the plywood and its mate on the battery. Put velcro on the other side of the battery also this way you can wrap a strip up over the top to hold the battery and a BL speed control and a 5 amp or more brushed speed control for the tail rotor. I used a CC 7amp brushed but it still leaves me wanting. Cut a piece of 1/4 foam rubber to fit snug between the rails of the CF landing gear and under the plywood tray.. Don't glue. This is where my receiver is. To hold items under here take 1/4" rubber band strips wrap up over plywood (missing bottom of main shaft) back down and overlap stretching a little. secure with a small drop of CA then cut off excess. 2 straps for my rec. I am using Polk's Seeker 6 synthesized
about $60, and my Hitec Optic 6. Mount a gyro with servo tape to the back of the rear servos. My setup wieghs about 12 1/2 oz. with 900 3s
and is way fast . I'm looking for the tail rotor that can Tame it!
I'm going to try a v-pitch from a trex or Walkera 36. Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Brutal E

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:24 AM
aramsdell

Brutal E, Let me know how you like the MX400... I just about finished my TREX. Bought it in FEB. but refused to fly it until my BCP said it was OK. The BCP is telling me it's just about time. I had it inverted for 5 or 6 sec several times this afternoon. Whew! Loops and rolls I can do now without crashing or at least passing a brick out the backside! Ya just have to keep on learnin' with helicopters! Forward flight inverted requires 'up' elvator will it never end this learning curve?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Brutal E

The MX400 is a great heli. I really have nothing to compare it to though. I like that it is cheap and uses almost all of the T-Rex parts. I am currently changing the head to a metal T-Rex head. I like the heli so far. I might eventually get a T-Rex but for now I am happy with the MX400. It flies well, plenty of upgrades available, parts are available in my area, and I can replace the whole heli for cheap if I had to. It is a bit more tame than the T-Rex but can be made to fliy like the T-Rex if you change the paddles.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Chickenhawk

Default Spektrum

How do you like your Spektrum, Brutal E?

I started on a Blade CP but am learning to fly (very slowly yet) on a Blade CX first. My next helicopter will be a T-Rex SE, and I am seriously looking at the Spektrum to go with it.

Flying the CX is easy, and I am progressing a little bit every session. The CP is another story entirely, but once I can hover the CX on a dime, and hover side-in and nose-in, I figure the CP should be easier to handle than it is now.

I heard the MX400 is easier to fly than the T-Rex, but one thing I have often wondered is, how would either one compare in ease of flying - more toward the CX (suspended from a string) or the CP (a wild mad wet cat on crack, suspended from an elastic band) end of the continuum?

I am new to this sport and this is my first posting, but I am having a great time in learning to fly and in planning my upgrades. (Some days it almost seems it was easier to learn to fly the real fixed-wing aircraft than a micro electric heli!)
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM
cbethenc
Charlie Bravo

I bought my first CP last august. After almost 10 years of no heli-planes only time. I´m very glad I made the choice to buy, the chopper is a delight to fly. After 4 or 5 months and a couple of crashes, i decided to go with the aerobatic enhancement kit. The chopper is now flying inverted, loops and rolls are very common but sometimes the POWER bug in my mind wanted more.... So i recently ( 2 weeks ago), I bought the CP mechanics and the Spektrum DX6 radio system. Hooked it up to the new blade along with the park 370 (3600 kv) brushless motor and the respective ESC, tail motor mixer and a GWS gyro..... After a couple of programming and twitching hours with the CP and the radio, the machine is flying very good. not to mention the excess power you get with this setup. I went with a 9 tooth pinion on the main and limited the throttle curve to 70% and i get 17 to 20 minutes of flying time with the 1320 mah lipos.

Cools machine....
Old 07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Brutal E

Yeah the set up sounds sweet. As for the CP you tune it well and practice it can be a great starter heli. After flying my MX400 I can say that the CP is like a humming bird on crack. It has been said if you can fly the CP you can fly anything. The CP I have heard with more head speed is easier to fly.

The Spektrum is amazing a very good system. It has some limitations (Not range wise) things like 3 point throttle curve only. Can not use it in big helis. The servos are mediocre. Features galore though. As a novice I am very happy with it. I have not set up my CP yet but already planning on an airboat project.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 PM
aramsdell

Default Blade Tail

CBETHENC,
What setup do you have other than the DX-6? Specifically the tail setup.
I have a BCP with an EFlite 3700kv , 12a speed ctrl. and a brushed 7 amp for the tail rotor with an old CSM-200 gyro. I can't get my setup to hold the tail well at all if I horse it around. Al.

Last edited by aramsdell; 07-25-2006 at 02:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM
cbethenc
Charlie Bravo

aransdell, I think i know what you mean when you say horse it around.... I´ve been doing loops, rolls and all kinds of maneuvers my brain can think of, but after the upgrade on almost everything but the tail rotor motor (yet) I also find the chopper needs a LOT of right rudder when performing high torque maneuvers. Not hidden is the fact that for now i have the throttle curve maxed out at 70% because of the tail rotor motor being unable to counteract the really excess torque the new brushless main motor is producing... However, for the more normal kind of flying, ie: fast forward, hard turns and the more carrot style maneuvers (soft). I find the tail motor is working pretty acceptable. I´ve been doing some research on a new and more powerful tail motor and will get back at you with the results of the tail mod...... In the mean time, keep your torque tamed.!!!!! If you know what i mean!!!! I like to climb ballistic!!!! jejeje

cheers,

CB