Scratchbuilt Foamies - Page 85 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Scratchbuilt Foamies

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Hey Crash,

Kit her up and send me one ! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Best,

Hawk
Well im glad you like it so far but im not into kitting.
Crash
Old 11-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Thanks Hawk, but i am not into Kitt making but hopefully i can pass on some build info that might be useful to someone.
Crash
Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Thanks Hawk, but i am not into Kitt making but hopefully i can pass on some build info that might be useful to someone.
Crash

That would be great, Crash ! You're projects are always very well done. Mine are usually cut, hotglue, tape & fly. Plans, specs and a build log would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Hawk
Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Dimeflyer

Crashalot
Tell Dahawk he's saposed to be DIY thies things like we do most of our planes !
We make our own kits or do thies one part at a time guy !!
Of corse you already know that I think ?
George
Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Dimeflyer,

I know, I know. Just like to watch you old pro's with your innovative builds so I can learn something. Take my comments as a compliment to the really great builds here from the like of Crash.

Admittingly, without much time on my hands these days, I look for the plans that are relatively easy,quick and cheap to build. Otherwise, I'd just go out looking for ARF's and PNP's.

It's always nicer to Auger the cheaper foamies !

Happy Flying ,

Hawk

P.S. Don't sniff the epoxy !
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well here she is all ready for the maiden.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wish me luck!
Crash
Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Crash,

Looks great. Good luck on the maiden !

Hawk
Old 11-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Crash,

Looks great. Good luck on the maiden !

Hawk
Thanks Dahawk, flown it twice this morning and put it in two trees and repaired it twice.
I have built this plane before and had much the same luck with it but i am determined to
get it to fly good.
Crash
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Dimeflyer

Crash
It helps to not put them in the trees guy ?
but if you must try some verry small ones to hit !
It looks great and should be a great perfermer !!
George
Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Dimeflyer View Post
Crash
It helps to not put them in the trees guy ?
but if you must try some verry small ones to hit !
It looks great and should be a great perfermer !!
George
Hey guy they were small trees that's why i was able to get her down ok.
When i put planes in big jackpines i have to cut them down.
Can't leave batt's up in the tree, could start a fire ya know.
Crash
Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM
scoote621

Ey crash looks great I hope you get bugs and jackknife sorted out and get some good flights out of her.

Here is a video of me fling in a small townhouse courtyard at sunset!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJm491PWyuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
Old 11-06-2011, 04:28 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Here is a fuselage for my Eflite Thomas Morse Scout made from a crashed Eflite SE5a. I removed part of the fuselage forward of the cockpit to move the cockpit forward. I shorted the nose and added cheek pieces to make the front round. Put a new top on the fuselage forward of the cockpit to make it level. Added a litte to the rear of the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planefus 001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	154583  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by scoote621 View Post
Ey crash looks great I hope you get bugs and jackknife sorted out and get some good flights out of her.

Here is a video of me fling in a small townhouse courtyard at sunset!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJm491PWyuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
Yeah, very nice
Looks like she flys nice and slow like the Capricorn that Larry builds.
I built one a few years ago and flew it til i tore it up.
Crash
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Here is a fuselage for my Eflite Thomas Morse Scout made from a crashed Eflite SE5a. I removed part of the fuselage forward of the cockpit to move the cockpit forward. I shorted the nose and added cheek pieces to make the front round. Put a new top on the fuselage forward of the cockpit to make it level. Added a litte to the rear of the fuselage.
Looks good Degreen
When is the maiden?
Crash
Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Scoote ,

Very cool ! Wonder if your area as an unusual amount of UFO sightings- LOL Must have some great neighbors. Mine would be freaking out.

-Hawk
Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
prof_fate

Default Need some ideas on landing gear

Got my 'blubaby' finished and it's had it's maiden...flight and crash (darn trees!)
Shoulda gone to the place i fly and not tried to fly it around my house, at least not on it's maiden, me being a new pilot, it's windy out there...that's just about the best recipe for disaster, huh?

Anyway, it FLIES! Controls are WAY too responsive so I'll dial them back a bit. It handled the wind well (I'd never consider taking my champ out in this). Didn't fly enough straight and level to finalize trim.

OK, so I had made landing gear of wheels and coat hangar wire. The plane weighs ~11 ounces with my gear on it but as suspected, the coat hangar wire is too weak and bends, my mounting wasn't substantial enough either (hey, it's a foam plane!) I got some music wire but it wasn't strong enough to even support the plane on the workbench so that's why I moved to a coat hanger.

I can likely hand launch and land in the grass but I like wheels! I like taking off from the pavement (road).

So I need some ideas/plans/pics for landing gear - and remember I'm a newbie pilot so I land, um, on the "i wouldn't want to be in that plane" side of things.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Got my 'blubaby' finished and it's had it's maiden...flight and crash (darn trees!)
Shoulda gone to the place i fly and not tried to fly it around my house, at least not on it's maiden, me being a new pilot, it's windy out there...that's just about the best recipe for disaster, huh?

Anyway, it FLIES! Controls are WAY too responsive so I'll dial them back a bit. It handled the wind well (I'd never consider taking my champ out in this). Didn't fly enough straight and level to finalize trim.

OK, so I had made landing gear of wheels and coat hangar wire. The plane weighs ~11 ounces with my gear on it but as suspected, the coat hangar wire is too weak and bends, my mounting wasn't substantial enough either (hey, it's a foam plane!) I got some music wire but it wasn't strong enough to even support the plane on the workbench so that's why I moved to a coat hanger.

I can likely hand launch and land in the grass but I like wheels! I like taking off from the pavement (road).

So I need some ideas/plans/pics for landing gear - and remember I'm a newbie pilot so I land, um, on the "i wouldn't want to be in that plane" side of things.
This might help
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh7URZFUO1o[/media]

Crash
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 AM
prof_fate

I've posted my 'build' here http://bestagents.home.comcast.net/~bestagents/html/blubaby.html with pics.

If flew best on 9x4 prop with 2 cells and some added nose weight. It's not as stable, recovery wise, as the HH champ and it will hold a turn better, it more responsive and even on 2 cells has more power - aim it up and hit the power and it will climb right now - great if you get a bit too close to mother earth. I'm not happy with how slowly it 'comes about' when I'm too close to the earth...I think ailerons will fix that but hey, I'm new to flying so what do I know (yet)?

I need real landing gear.
I"m not too keen on how the packing tape is holding as hinges.
I will add a bit more nose weight (using 3 quarters, will add a 4th I think)
Next up is the kfm wing with ailerons. I think I'm going to 38 or 40 inches (hoping for a bit slower flight, plus that wing will weight more plus the weight of the servo) and probably gonna keep 1" (each side) dihedral so it should self recover if I get too stupid.

So yeah, it's an ugly plane, but it flies and cost about $5 to make and took 4 or 5 hours maybe.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well here i go again, the start of another airframe that probably isn't designed for my small flying area but what the heck i like it.

Should be interesting anyway.
Stay tuned
Crash
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 PM
scoote621

Scoote ,

Very cool ! Wonder if your area as an unusual amount of UFO sightings- LOL Must have some great neighbors. Mine would be freaking out.

-Hawk
Hawk,

It was filmed at my friends house down in RI they just moved into a nice condo unit on a golf course, i flew out back on the course then tried out front in the courtyard when it got darker. One neighbor in his 70's i would guess saw us from inside and said he had to come out and check it out, he was out there talking to us in his pajamas in the 40 degree temps for a solid 15 minutes...he really liked it and was quite impressed how silent the brushless motors are.

Crash,

Can't wait to see that F-117 looks like a complicated build with all of those angles on that plane. Is it a tab and slot design? What are you using to cut the foam to such a nice and precise margin of error? What kind of foam are you using and are you keeping the paper or thin plastic on it?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

The F-117 plans are slotted and there will be bevels here and there. I use a sharp scalpel or equivelent to cut with. The layout you see there is just fitted together so far no glue yet. When everything is fitted properly it will come apart and be reasembled with glue.
The foam is DollarTree, thats all i use.
Stay tuned
Crash
Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Here is a little progress on the Stealth Fighter.

Stay tuned!
Crash
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Crash,

Liking it ! Man, you are one great foam builder ! Love the models where tab 1 goes into slot A, etc. The knee bone is connected to the thigh bone kind of thing. Using the Grayson combo for power? Been looking for a F4 Phantom but can't seem to find one with a mid fuse-motor set-up.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Where are the plans for the F117? Looks sick!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Crash,

Is this the same F-117 I saw here? : [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L6lUp7QxqU&NR=1[/media]

Looks pretty straight forward. This guy is using a huge 8x8 prop. He's also got it set up fairly powerful IMO but I'm still new to speed. I like the colored packing tape idea.

-Hawk

Quick Reply: Scratchbuilt Foamies

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11176 seconds with 14 queries