The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread - Page 14 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Informal Clubs Club Talk

The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Dick, here's those pics of the retract servo mount and tray. I made a mistake...the front of the servo actually faces the tailing edge of the wing.

Thanks Mike -excellent pics....
Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Dick - guess what, I think I saw our mustang fly over my house today - it was definitely a mustang but I couldn't make out the paint - ran back inside to get the binocs but it was too late.

Odd man, 2 'stang sightings in 2 days - I think fate is telling me I need to get a Mustang and trick it out like Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Josh
Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Default Motivation restored...

Well, it's way to windy to fly and the house was feeling a bit cramped, so no building at the moment. Instead I decided to hit a local fishing hole I haven't been to in three years.

The wind was blowing right in my face and every cast felt worthless. Finally the wind gave me a break...just a few seconds of almost no wind...I cast out with all my might, trying to hit that small cove surrounded by cat tails...I DID it!! I starting working my soft plastic bait, and WHAM!! He nailed it, lol! Not the biggest fish in there, but definitely restored my motivation, lol....I'm going back in a few hours as the sun goes down a bit. Here's my Whopper....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	119001  
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Nice fish Mike, glad someone's having fun today lol

Dick, Sorry - got involved in a project around the house and won't be able to make it up today. Shooting for Wednesday tho for sure.

If you need the decals faster I could always mail them to ya.

josh
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Josh...I went back to fish it some more and caught another one. I wish I could have stayed longer, but the wife wanted to get home and cook dinner. Here's a few pics of my 2nd one, lol.

Name:	SANY0002.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	119012   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	119013   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0004.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	119014  
Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Not to worry Josh...the way the project is proceeding with these retracts I doubt you need to be too concerned about mailing any decals, but I thank you .

Wed is a good target on my scope...unless Supermarine calls me and needs an update on the Spitfire.... I'm so frustrated with these retracts I can't see straight.

(Good thing Dowding doesn't know about this he'd consider it sabatage......)

Do you have a"Z" Bender??? Is so, please bring it with you Wed....if not bring a bible cause I"ll swear on it that installing retractable landing gear will force anyone to testify that fishing is emotionally much healthier.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Thanks Josh...I went back to fish it some more and caught another one. I wish I could have stayed longer, but the wife wanted to get home and cook dinner. Here's a few pics of my 2nd one, lol.
Oh, hey that's quite a catch there. Must be close to record. I can see why Rose needed to go to the store.

What sort of power system are you thinking about putting in it
Whatever you do don't go with retracts.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Sorry those retracts are giving you such a headache Dick. It's a learning curve for me as well, but if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know man.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Spitfire Retract College

Josh - Disregard my last, ref "Z" bend pliers....got some from Ben.

The Spit's retracts continue to be a Royal PITA but I will get them installed if it hair lips the Queen.

Photos of the Spits status. Biggest problem lies in the correct control rod bends. They actually operated pretty well at first but I wasn't convinced the rod wouldn't bind in the up and locked position so I contiued to mess with them and it just got worse and worse.

As noted in the pics the up/locked position concerns me due to the potential to stress/bind the servo causing obvious problems with stripped gears and amp draw. The rods are really tight against the servo arm.

I know I'll get them to function to my satisfaction - if the servo lasts long enough.

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	119075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	119076  
Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Dick, I see your problem friend! Look, instead of having the servo arm perpindicular to the leading edge, they need to be at an angle. Remove the servo arm and put it on in the diagonal position...that should solve your problem!

Go from top left to bottom right.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Here's what I did today, lol....

Name:	SANY0005.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	119099  
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

The retracts are funtioning....! Not that perfectly due a "click" in the right main as it extends into the down positin. Couldn't replicate it manually after disconnecting the servo. I checked the Z bend and connectiuon to the retract arm but it all seems clear. So I don't know, it doesn't act like it interferes with the servo operation but I still don't like it.

Anyway it feels good to see them go and come down. (Thanks Mike) I'll check the amp draw next to confirm there's nothing unusual there and then the plan is to use a separate battery during flight.

Still a couple functional components to add yet but I think the most challenging part is over.....Churchill should be pleased.

Tally Ho Chums
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Here's what I did today, lol....
Now that's a handsome fish....hey Mike how about building a scale submarine with live video?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
The retracts are funtioning....! Not that perfectly due a "click" in the right main as it extends into the down positin. Couldn't replicate it manually after disconnecting the servo. I checked the Z bend and connectiuon to the retract arm but it all seems clear. So I don't know, it doesn't act like it interferes with the servo operation but I still don't like it.

Anyway it feels good to see them go and come down. (Thanks Mike) I'll check the amp draw next to confirm there's nothing unusual there and then the plan is to use a separate battery during flight.

Still a couple functional components to add yet but I think the most challenging part is over.....Churchill should be pleased.

Tally Ho Chums

Mike - nice fish. It's been awhile since I spent any QT jerkin some lip - usually around March I go down to the river and put a line in.

Dick - Here is the stuff I was talking about - Micro Sol - it kinda dissolves the plastic of the decal and turns it into paint, more or less. Its what the pros use. I dunno if you can use it on decals that you have printed from a inkjet but I am asking around.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Josh- I called Microscale and they were not sure how the solution would work on Inkjet decals. They sugggesterd Testor's Dullcote but that really is more for sealing. Let me know what you find out...
Thanks bud.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Josh- I called Microscale and they were not sure how the solution would work on Inkjet decals. They sugggesterd Testor's Dullcote but that really is more for sealing. Let me know what you find out...
Thanks bud.
Dick - I found this page that seems to recommend a three-stage process.

http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Ch...ecal-Film.html

I am looking to order some of the Liquid Decal film, Micro Sol and Micro Set for my own purposes. I looked on the microscale website but minimum order is 20 bucks so I might just buy two bottles of each.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=FINPROD

Wx looks piss poor tomorrow but I am gonna cruise up anyways after I try again to get my hair cut. That is of course unless you have plans. Let me know.

Josh
Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Dick - I found this page that seems to recommend a three-stage process.

http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Ch...ecal-Film.html

I am looking to order some of the Liquid Decal film, Micro Sol and Micro Set for my own purposes. I looked on the microscale website but minimum order is 20 bucks so I might just buy two bottles of each.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/...y_Code=FINPROD

Wx looks piss poor tomorrow but I am gonna cruise up anyways after I try again to get my hair cut. That is of course unless you have plans. Let me know.

Josh
I have no plans Josh. I'd welcome the company and enjoy talking about flying airplanes, building airplanes, finishing aiplanes, modifying airplanes and or anything related to the subject of airplanes.
I'll be looking forward to the decals too.
Cheers
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Default Spitfire

Josh -

Since you mentioned the other Spitfire decals if your interested take a look at the attached file.

All copy is black ink and as close to actual size as possible.

Let me know if you might have any questions or comments or if you changed your mind.

Thanks bud....
Attached Files
File Type: doc
DECALS.doc (48.5 KB, 134 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Josh -

Since you mentioned the other Spitfire decals if your interested take a look at the attached file.

All copy is black ink and as close to actual size as possible.

Let me know if you might have any questions or comments or if you changed your mind.

Thanks bud....
No prob at all sir, I will try and knock these out for the weekend. I'll print the paper out first on plain white and mark the dimensions just to be sure they will work for ya.

Got some more done on the Shoestring last night - I'd say I'm almost ready to strap 'er down and run up a thurst test so I can get my KiloWatt badge!

Details to follow!

Josh
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

No prob at all sir, I will try and knock these out for the weekend. I'll print the paper out first on plain white and mark the dimensions just to be sure they will work for ya.

Got some more done on the Shoestring last night - I'd say I'm almost ready to strap 'er down and run up a thurst test so I can get my KiloWatt badge!

Details to follow!

Josh
Wow, thanks very much Josh...I can't wait to see your Shoestring. That should be a great flyer. I think you'll do well with it too. Interesting where we've come since a year ago.

Good idea printing the decals out on plain paper first...I ref them off a 1/24 scale Spitfire Mk. I-A decal sheet I had and worked them up on MS Word....from past experience they could print totaly different cause I'm not that proficient with the program...

The Dx7 should be here tomorrow. I sure hope they got it fixed.

ce AK
Old 01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Yeah, let me know what they say about your DX7 Dick.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Guys - I'm putting in a HC order around 4pm today - let me know if there is anything you guys absolutely need me to include.

Josh
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Guys - I'm putting in a HC order around 4pm today - let me know if there is anything you guys absolutely need me to include.

Josh
Thanks Josh...I'm good though man. I just placed an order yesterday for some servo rate reducers for Dick and I. Also, got some batts ordered for my P-51 application. I ordered a total of four rate reducers...for less than $8, it really couldn't be beat, lol. I plan on putting one in my P-51 and Spit. I'll keep you guys posted as to how well they work...when they get here, lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Thanks Josh...I'm good though man. I just placed an order yesterday for some servo rate reducers for Dick and I. Also, got some batts ordered for my P-51 application. I ordered a total of four rate reducers...for less than $8, it really couldn't be beat, lol. I plan on putting one in my P-51 and Spit. I'll keep you guys posted as to how well they work...when they get here, lol.

Yep, I wet whole-hawg on this one - just got my first full Citi paycheck lol

Name:	hcorder.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	119388  
Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Yep, I went whole-hawg on this one - just got my first full Citi paycheck lol
Glad to hear it man, lol. I haven't touched a plane in over two weeks. Been trying to get all my documents in order for the purchase of my boat, lol. I'm hoping to make it up and get here next weekend...if I'm lucky. I need the weather to be decent, because we're supposed to take her out on the lake for a test drive before I hook her up and bring her home.

Quick Reply: The Official Texas Hill Country Wattheads Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15985 seconds with 22 queries