ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Which F4U Corsair should I get?

Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Default Which F4U Corsair should I get?

From what little I know so far, I think I like this one from Alpha Models first:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/corsairf4u.htm

This one is a bit spendy at $120 for just the model, It'd go up another few hundred by the time I bought everything else I needed, and even more if I went brushless. But it is a beauty, and is not too small. (32" wingspan)

Next, is this $20 micro from Cox. It only has a 20" wingspan. This one would be more once it has all the necessary hardware too, but at least $100 less than the Alpha above. It's hard to tell from the too-dark picture below whether it uses rudder or ailerons for steering.

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006200

Then, there's this Great Planes "Park Flyer" Corsair. This one's $70 for the bare model, and $125 with ESC, battery, & charger.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHPC0&P=ML

Lastly, we have this GWS model. 35.5" wingspan, but ultra-cheezy landing gear. Nothing like scale. (I suppose that could be omitted at the cost of breaking props?) This one is only $56, includes ball bearing motor & gearbox, two props, and has rudder control and 2-servo aileron control. It will require 4 servos instead of just two, and I don't know if this is necessarily a disadvantage or advantage. I thought I read somewhere that someone had a Corsair with one servo for ailerons, and they had a dog of a time getting the rods to the right places aroun the bent-wing design...
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCP1&P=7

My history: I've just learned to fly on my T-Hawk and I think I'm done with the major crashes. I've gotten pretty good at flying the P51 on the FMS simulator, and I assume the Corsair would fly about the same. I haven't bought a proper radio yet, and I'm thinking of buying HiTec Flash 5 or their 6 channel computer radio to control the rest of my fleet.

I thought about maybe saving up and getting a larger model, made of balsa & ply, but I'm not quite that confident in my abilities yet that I will put down $400+ on the ultimate one yet.

Jeremy
Old 10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
RickAvery

My bro-in-law and I have been belly landing GWS models on hard pack dirt for almost 8 months. He with a Corsair and I with a Mustang. We have over 100 landings between us and broken props are very rare. In fact, I havenít broken one yet and he did only once when he made a hop-skip-nose in. We tape thin coroplast to the bottom for abrasion control. GWS landing gear is fragile and looks bogus IMHO. Belly landing works fine. Good luck.
Rick
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I'd go with the GWS slope version. You don't need the landing gear. Buy an MPJet motor for it, the red outrunner. Then have a blast. I gaurantee that the GWS will survive a crash better than the Alpha. Alphas are thin molded foam. Very fragile. I belly landed my planes for 5 months and have only broken one prop. Plus, the warbirds look more scale without the cheesy looking landing gear.

One more thing. We are never, ever done with the "Major Crashes"

Steve
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 PM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

i placed a video here of my alfa corsair on stock speed 300 and gearbox somewhere.

it flies great, and its not been hopped up to brushless.

do a search for ''corsair video''.

Tim.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:44 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Hot glue guns and foam were made for each other. Get a batt., power inverter, and glue gun and you can be back in the air in ten minutes. Only thing that kept my Zero going for two yrs.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:46 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I have both the Alfa and GWS. Both fly well and you don't have to use the rudder on the GWS if you don't want to, in fact it will save some weight. If you've never flown a warbird they can be a handful sometimes till you get used to them. The GWS has a little bigger wingspan, is cheaper, flies great if built properly, and won't scare you to death to fly it because it costs so much!!!! You could set up the GWS just like you would the Alfa as far as power and when you get confident in your flying abilities go ahead and buy the Alfa. They are both fun!!! It's just a matter of how much your willing to spend. The GWS is easier to fix if you break it too!!! Steve.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

You know, I've just read a thread over on rcuniverse about some silly kid who wants a Spitfire in the worst way. The concensus is that it is not a good 2nd (or even 3rd) plane. He is not listening to them, and he is going to crash it. I think I'll serve some more time behind the stick of my T-Hawk. Maybe I'll buy the Corsair now though, build it, and sit it on a shelf while I save up for the radio, Li-Poly batteries, charger, servos, receiver, etc.

I read in the ad for the GWS Corsair that it is "semi-scale". What the hell does THAT mean? Did they make some concessions to make it more friendly, or are they talking about the cheezy landing gear not being scale?

Thanks for all the great advice so far, and keep it coming.

Jeremy
Old 10-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
I have both the Alfa and GWS. Both fly well and you don't have to use the rudder on the GWS if you don't want to, in fact it will save some weight. If you've never flown a warbird they can be a handful sometimes till you get used to them. The GWS has a little bigger wingspan, is cheaper, flies great if built properly, and won't scare you to death to fly it because it costs so much!!!! You could set up the GWS just like you would the Alfa as far as power and when you get confident in your flying abilities go ahead and buy the Alfa. They are both fun!!! It's just a matter of how much your willing to spend. The GWS is easier to fix if you break it too!!! Steve.
^^Every word of that is true^^

The Alpha Models, and the Flying Styros are by far the best looking scale warbirds you can find in that size. I'd love an Alpha Model, but I fly my warbirds way too hard. (Interpretation) I crash them way too much!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:28 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Actually Smaug, the GWS Spitfire, IMO is one of the best flying GWS birds. IF you build it correctly. And get the CG right. I agree it may not be a good second plane. But i think it's an excellent 3rd plane. The worst thing about the Spitfire is that if you are going brushless,and plan on using a 3 cell 2100 pack, you'll need to excavate the front of the fuse before gluing the halves together. Then push the battery as far forward as possible.

There are people that don't like the way they fly. We've had up to four in our group at one time. And every one of them flew superbly.

Steve
Old 10-29-2005, 11:15 AM
n001pa
Procrastinate Now!

I have a GWS Corsair that is all stock. I have to say it is a great 2nd plane! My first plane was a slow stick and I flew the wings off it, literally. As far as breaking props, I never even put the gear on mine and have well over 100 flights with it. The only prop I have ever broken was when I was practicing new maneuvers and ended up going straight in from about 75 feet. I also broke the wing and sent the battery through the firewall but I had the plane ready for it's next sortie within 10 minutes. It is the best plane I have flown to date. I have had probably 2 dozen other planes in the air since and I keep coming back to it.

I know alot of people will disagree with me but I would stay away from brushless motors and LiPos until you feel more comfortable with your plane. Especially if you are on a budjet. The plane flys great with the stock motor and besides, if you fly it stock first then you will more greatly appreciate the brushless steup.

Carl
Old 10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Smaug:
Some places on the Corsair are not quite scale to enhance the flying characteristics. The bottom of the wing is slightly undercambered, concave, to help the slowspeed characteristics, also the stab is made slightly larger than scale for the same purpose.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Gullwing

I have had 2 GWS Corsairs. My first one lasted about 40 flights before I got the case of the stupids and put in the ground. So I bought the Alfa. This is a great looking and flying bird. One problem, they are very, very fragile. One hard landing and it was done for. I had hit the ground harder with the GWS serveral times with little to no damage. If you havn't flown a warbird before or if you want one that will stay together i don't recommend the Alfa. They are good for spare parts thought.LOL I have sense built my second GWS Corsair and econkoted it used 2 aileron servos, dual elevator pushrods and no rudder. It flys better than the first. Here is a video or two .http://www.putfile.com/shagy
Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 PM
n001pa
Procrastinate Now!

The Alpha Corsair may look good on the ground before you fly it but the GWS looks just as good in the air where it counts.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Lastly, we have this GWS model. 35.5" wingspan, but ultra-cheezy landing gear. Nothing like scale. (I suppose that could be omitted at the cost of breaking props?) This one is only $56, includes ball bearing motor & gearbox, two props, and has rudder control and 2-servo aileron control. It will require 4 servos instead of just two, and I don't know if this is necessarily a disadvantage or advantage. I thought I read somewhere that someone had a Corsair with one servo for ailerons, and they had a dog of a time getting the rods to the right places aroun the bent-wing design...

Jeremy
Jeremy,

I have the GWS Zero. It's a great flyer, and I did not install the cheesey landing gear and supplied "baby carriage" wheels on it.

I have yet to break a prop from belly landings, but if that worries you, get the GWS prop saver kit. The prop is held in place by rubber bands and will pop off if you have a less than ideal landing.

Their Corsair is a better flyer than the Zero and while the aileron linkage is sort of nightmarish, with patience you can get them on properly. No biggie.

After you fly it on its original power plant for a while you can go to a Himax 2015-4100 brushless geared set up. It is a direct drop in replacement type of installation. Take one out, slide the new one in. Simple.

Once you graduate to the 2015-4100, you'll be glad you got both the GWS Corsair and the Himax B/L upgrade.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Gullwing

Yeah I agree n001pa, mine looks pretty scale in the air. I like coming in slow and low about 5 feet up and about 15 feet in front of me, looks awesome.....Oh by the way I like the signature...........GW
Old 10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by n001pa View Post
The Alpha Corsair may look good on the ground before you fly it but the GWS looks just as good in the air where it counts.
You've got that right n001pa. Once one gets 20 feet from both while sitting on the ground side by side, is hard to tell which one is the costlier of the two.

Once airborne, they are equally great performers. It's matter of how much one wishes to invest (spend?) on a model.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:58 PM
n001pa
Procrastinate Now!

I love doing hi speed strafing runs at about 2 feet. It's also fun trying to hit the lone tall weeds in my parents pasture without crashing.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Hi Everyone. Thanks for the advice. I just came back from the hobby shop with an armload of stuff today. Item #1 was a GWS Corsair, with the 350 motor. You may remember, I ordered an Edge Overlord a couple weeks ago, but it won't arrive for another couple of weeks because the place is moving. The sad part is that my Optic 6 radio is part of that order, and he is in the midst of the move now. So the Corsair is sitting in the box. My fourth plane is here, but my 2nd and 3rd ones are not!

I also picked up some Ultracote to wrap the Overlord wing with. I think I'm going to put the spare stars from the Corsair on top of the Overlord...

As a side note, I am so proud of myself that I supported my local hobby shop. I paid about $5 more for the Ultracote than I would have at Tower, and $3 more for the Corsair, etc., but I feel really good about it. He is a Ma 'n Pa type shop, and a really helpful guy.

Jeremy
Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 AM
n001pa
Procrastinate Now!

Good luck with your Corsair. Do you plan on keeping the 350 motor? Alot of people don't seem to be happy with the stock set up but I sure am. Also, I know it will add a little weight but I would go with dual aleiron servos. It's a lot easier to set up. I got rid of the ugly landing gear and used dual servos and mine flys great. I am however running 8 and 10 cell packs. With the 8 I have never had a problem. The 10 cell gives much better performance but I have burned up one motor. I think one motor after more than 100 flights is pretty good.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

n001pa, there is a 44 page GWS Corsair build thread over at rcgroups forums. I've gotten about 10 pages into it. I would really like to be able to belly-land it without worry of messing up the servos.

People also say that it needs to be pretty nose-heavy in order to fly well. Putting a 400 motor in there would help with that issue too. Nevertheless, I'm going to give the little 350 an honest chance first and see how she goes. I surely don't need this to be a speed demon yet, so there's no rush for me to upgrade.

One of the reasons I chose the Corsair is that it is such a beautiful plane. The GWS "baby carriage" wheels ruin that appearance. So whether I go with two servos and figure a way to protect them, or one servo and figure a way to route the push-rod, I have to figure something out. I'm thinking what I'll do is buy an HS-81 servo for the ailerons and a HS-55 for the elevator. Hopefully, the HS-81 will give that little bit of extra grunt necessary so that the curved linkage won't be a problem. I have to admit; I'm pretty nervous about it.

If I go with two servos, it will be an admission of defeat where others have succeeded.

Thanks for the tips, I will file them away in my Corsair Build document.

Jeremy
Old 11-06-2005, 08:09 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Default Single servos on gull wings

I have done single-servo setups on gull wings (not a gws corsair) and it can work fairly simply. Please forgive if there's some reason the GWScorsair can't adapt to this.

The trick is to find some tubing (aluminum, plastic, whatever) that has the same I.D. as the aileron wire O.D. Insert it into the aileron where the wire is going to go. That's all there is to it!

When the aileron control wire moves up or down, it will still have to flex ever so slightly outward or inward, but it will not have to torque (which is the problem). And since it's not glued in, the slight flexing causes no trouble.

The first time I used this system I was surprised to find I couldn't see either any error in control or feel any resistance in the linkage. In essence, it just "straightens out the wing."

Dave North
Old 11-06-2005, 10:16 PM
n001pa
Procrastinate Now!

It was just a suggestion on the single servo. I did that with mine and have over 100 flights with it over all types of runways and have never damaged a servo. It's easier to set up and I get much more precision with dual servos as well. I know mine is a little nose heavy because I use bigger batteries. Good luck with yours and keep us informed as to how it works out.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:40 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Flying buddy of mine took a couple of plastic spoons, cut the spoon part in two. Use the front half as a fairing glued to the wing in front of the servo to act like a skid if it needs to. Of course the opening is to the rear just over the servo.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Oldpilot

How About the North East Sailplanes Corsair Streetfighter. Designed for combat flying and made of EPP. Kit Comes complete with Hacker A20-34S Brushless motor, Hacker speed control, 3S 850 Li Poly, prop and adapter, all connectors and hardware for $200.00 all up. Can be put together in 1 1/2 hrs and can take a pounding. Flies great indoors or out . Not that exact scale to look at from two away but looks great in the air.

Don't want to go brushless??? Basic kit only $ 72.99

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3807
Old 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Originally Posted by n001pa
I did that with mine and have over 100 flights with it over all types of runways and have never damaged a servo.
...and you are probably a much more accomplished pilot than me, hehehe. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. That, combined with flypaper's idea with protective cowlings for the servos sounds like it would be perfect. It will weigh more, so I will probably leave off the rudder control for now. I just hope the extra weight won't bring up the stall speed on me...

Originally Posted by Oldpilot
How About the North East Sailplanes Corsair Streetfighter. Designed for combat flying and made of EPP. Kit Comes complete with Hacker A20-34S Brushless motor, Hacker speed control, 3S 850 Li Poly, prop and adapter, all connectors and hardware for $200.00 all up.
You know, I saw the ads for those combat planes in the magazines, but they didn't have a Corsair, last I checked. That figures though. I've already got the plane home and opened, so it is too late. If I crash up the GWS too badly, I will give the Northeast Sailplane model a try.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Which F4U Corsair should I get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13316 seconds with 13 queries