Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

controller

Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Brandon16166

Exclamation controller

??when you buy a plane does it come with a controller
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default How Many Parts Do I Need?

Hello Brandon, Welcome to Wattflyer!
To answer your question, yes, you can purchase an "All-In-One" ready-to-fly radio control model, also known as "RTF" or "PNP". This comes with a transmitter, airplane with motor, receiver, servos, speed controller installed, and usually includes at least one battery pack and charger. Everything is pre-installed, wired and the "controller' (Transmitter) is tuned to send signals on the same radio frequency the receiver is on. Here's one example;
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm
This is a semi-scale model of the Piper Super Cub. You may be interested to know this model has an optional "Drop Module" for carrying aloft small items and dropping them by remote control.
This is the easiest introduction to model flying, although flying a simulator program on your PC is good practice beforehand.
If you do a search here for "HZ Super Cub" you'll find threads and suggestions for this model.
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Ron's right. The description will normally note whether or not it has a tx in the package. If in doubt, ask the folks at Wattflyer. Also, I agree with Ron that the Super Cub is an excellent first plane.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Plug and Play

Hello all,
I am pretty sure the term PnP means that the plane will come with most of the electronics. The only things not included is the radio gear. This lets the buyer use their preferred reciever and transmitter.
It will not come with a transmitter (controller).

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hello Brandon, Welcome to Wattflyer!
To answer your question, yes, you can purchase an "All-In-One" ready-to-fly radio control model, also known as "RTF" or "PNP". This comes with a transmitter, airplane with motor, receiver, servos, speed controller installed, and usually includes at least one battery pack and charger. Everything is pre-installed, wired and the "controller' (Transmitter) is tuned to send signals on the same radio frequency the receiver is on. Here's one example;
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm
This is a semi-scale model of the Piper Super Cub. You may be interested to know this model has an optional "Drop Module" for carrying aloft small items and dropping them by remote control.
This is the easiest introduction to model flying, although flying a simulator program on your PC is good practice beforehand.
If you do a search here for "HZ Super Cub" you'll find threads and suggestions for this model.
Good Luck!
Ron
That Super Cub is pretty cool, but it has a 27MHz radio. I do like the paratrooper thingy though... a friend of mine has one and he had a lot of fun dropping the paratrooper one day and his kid chased it out in the field

I would definitely recommend the Super Cub for a beginner. I don't have one, but my friend's is very easy to fly, and takes crashes pretty well without damage - an essential feature in a trainer. The GWS Slow Stick is also a good trainer, and if you intend to continue in the hobby, it's a good option because you can get a better radio with it, as well as batteries and stuff you can use with other planes. Takes a few hours to set up a Slow Stick, which is as long as it would take to charge the batteries anyway I think.

See my blog:
http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/

There's also some other good info there about how I got started.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
yossarian

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
Hello all,
I am pretty sure the term PnP means that the plane will come with most of the electronics. The only things not included is the radio gear. This lets the buyer use their preferred reciever and transmitter.
It will not come with a transmitter (controller).

Good luck!

Yup. PnP stands for Plug n' Play, meaning it's not quite as ready to go as a RTF, because it's going to use your own radio and maybe needs servos too, not sure. But for sure PnP versions do not come with radios, just motors and maybe an ESC.