Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

8x8E propeller sources?

Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Default 8x8E propeller sources?

Hey guys -- I'm a big fan of the APC 8x8E props -- they work REALLY well with my GWS warbirds and my power system of choice...

However, I seem to break the APC 8x8E props quite often -- sometimes I only get ONE LANDING... :o

So, my question is, what other propeller manufacturers sell an 8x8 prop? I'd like to find something that's a little more flexable on belly landings...

I've ordered some 8x6E Hobby City APC-clones, and they're just a little more flexible than a true APC prop -- but they don't seem to make an 8x8E prop...
Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Guy,

What about cutting down a 10X8 to 8X8, and balancing it? I've read where some folks have done that with good results.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Here you Go for props, Maybe a prop saver might help, Take care, Chellie

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...t_order&page=2

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=36_61
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've thought of cutting down a larger diameter prop, but that sounds like a lot of work (and I'd probably end up with a balance issue)...

Unfortunately, I can't use a prop saver -- the airplane uses a spinner... Besides, I have not had good luck with prop savers and the RPMs I'm talking about... :o

What I'm really looking for, is an 8x8 prop that is NOT made by APC.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
foo

Try a 8/8 glo prop,I have 3 eletrostreaks that I use tornado nylon 8/8 props on running between 300/400 watts in.They go lke stink.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by foo View Post
Try a 8/8 glo prop,I have 3 eletrostreaks that I use tornado nylon 8/8 props on running between 300/400 watts in.They go lke stink.
Cool -- where can I buy a Tornado Nylon 8x8 prop? I did a Google search, and couldn't find a source... :o
Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Let me guess you are using the brake function? If so - turn it OFF - let it windmill and it will go to horizontal.

I have had apc-e props last over a year of belling landings!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
foo

Try grish.I'm on dialup so I quit after 15 pages,must be gone.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Let me guess you are using the brake function? If so - turn it OFF - let it windmill and it will go to horizontal.

I have had apc-e props last over a year of belling landings!
Hey Rcers... In the nicest possible way, I need to tell you that you guessed wrong... :o

I haven't had the brake on for the last three years. It's the APC 8x8E prop -- I spoke with a LHS owner today, and he agreed... He's heard lots of similar complaints about the APC 8x8E prop, when used on a belly lander...

Oddly enough, the APC 10x7E and the APC 9x7.5E work just fine on my warbirds... It's just the APC 8x8E that keeps breaking... :o
Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by foo View Post
Try grish.I'm on dialup so I quit after 15 pages,must be gone.
What's "grish"?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 AM
hul

I had the same problems with the 8x8.
Depending on the diameter of your spinner you could use an 8x5 folder with a +5 degree yoke. That will give you about 8x7 to 7.5, depending on the size of the yoke, according to Aeronaut: http://www.aero-naut.net/fileadmin/d...eichswerte.xls
(in German and metric)

Hans
Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

this might work for you, i Love master airscrew props, they are a very strong prop,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEBD6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPX1&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tric&search=Go
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 AM
hul

the bearings and shaft may not like the idea of a very strong prop...

Hans
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I put two flights on my GWS P-51 Mustang on Saturday afternoon -- using the APC 9x7.5E prop -- that's two flights, and no broken props.

I'm telling you -- that APC 8x8E prop is a real performer, but it has structural problems... :o

Originally Posted by hul View Post
the bearings and shaft may not like the idea of a very strong prop...
Agreed -- I used a Master Airscrew 9x7 three-blade prop for my Air Devil P-38, and my GWS Zero... Every belly landing on the P-38, the prop would dig in, and rip the firewall mount out of the airplane...

When the Zero landed, it would almost always "flop" over on it's back (because the prop dug in on landing)... This is simply because the Zero's AUW was something like 12 ounces...

I switched to Master Airscrew's 2-blade props, and had the same trouble.

However, my GWS P-51 and GWS ME-108 are both in the 18-ounce range. As much as I LOVE the Master Airscrew props, I don't feel I can put them on an 18-ounce, belly landing warbird.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Hmmmm -- I found some APC 9x9E props at Tower Hobbies yesterday... I ordered 2 of them to see how they hold up...

I will report back, when I have some data to share.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Hey guys -- I switched my GWS ME-109 from an APC 8x8E prop to an APC 9x9E prop, and have not broken a prop in several belly landings...

I also switched my GWS P-51 from an APC 8x8E prop to an APC 9x7.5E prop, and have not broken a prop in several belly landings...

I'm not sure why, but that APC 8x8E prop just breaks too easily... :o
Old 09-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

After breaking APC 8x8E props, APC 9x7.5E props, and APC 9x9E props, I finally decided to buy a package of GWS 10x8HD props, and cut them down to 8x8HD. It's worked out REALLY well, and I have them on all my GWS airplanes now.

The GWS props are a bit flexible, but when you cut them down they become more stiff. Also, I like how the GWS props are black (the APC props are grey) and look awesome with yellow prop tips.

Cutting down the 10x8 props to an 8x8 size was much easier than I expected. I didn't even balance them!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
PJPHX

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
After breaking APC 8x8E props, APC 9x7.5E props, and APC 9x9E props, I finally decided to buy a package of GWS 10x8HD props, and cut them down to 8x8HD. It's worked out REALLY well, and I have them on all my GWS airplanes now.

The GWS props are a bit flexible, but when you cut them down they become more stiff. Also, I like how the GWS props are black (the APC props are grey) and look awesome with yellow prop tips.

Cutting down the 10x8 props to an 8x8 size was much easier than I expected. I didn't even balance them!

Not balancing a chopped prop can be deadly, vibrations can damage motor ball-bearings in the long run, or vibrations will loosen the motor mount.
reading about all the broken props, what is the advantage of not using any landing gear. My concern is not only that props brake, i see on my Multiplex glider ugly damage on the fuselage, that bothers me way more than any broken cheap prop.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by PJPHX View Post
Not balancing a chopped prop can be deadly, vibrations can damage motor ball-bearings in the long run, or vibrations will loosen the motor mount.
Thanks for your post. However, I assure you that there are no vibration problems on these 8x8 props. I have four of them installed on thee different aircraft, and they all work amazingly well. I like them so much, I've considered adding them to my web site -- cut, shaped, and painted with yellow prop tips. Yet, your comment reminds me that someone could try to sue me for a cut-prop-gone-wrong, so I guess I won't add it to my web site after all...

Originally Posted by PJPHX View Post
reading about all the broken props, what is the advantage of not using any landing gear. My concern is not only that props brake, i see on my Multiplex glider ugly damage on the fuselage, that bothers me way more than any broken cheap prop.
The advantage is that you can land in grass, dirt, gravel, snow, ice, or anything else (other than a smooth, long hunk of concrete). My aircraft are fiberglassed, and bell landings don't affect the nice looks of the airplane.

APC props cost about $2.50 each. They're NOT cheap when you break on on every landing (or sometimes every other landing)!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Guy,

Have you tried any of the EMP Scimitar props? Cermark sells an 8X7. I wonder if that would work good?

http://www.cermark.com/products/EMP-...-8x7-prop.html