Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

ParkZone Spitfire help!!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Spitzfiya

Default ParkZone Spitfire help!!

I just purchased a ParkZone Lipo battery and charger for my ParkZone Spitfire because EVERYWHERE it says they are compatible yet the connectors are different.

How do I hook the battery up to my Spitfire?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:19 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Spitzfiya View Post
I just purchased a ParkZone Lipo battery and charger for my ParkZone Spitfire because EVERYWHERE it says they are compatible yet the connectors are different.

How do I hook the battery up to my Spitfire?

Hi Spitzfiya buy yourself some bullet connectors and install them on your lipo, esc and charger, they work great, you can solder them on or use the blue crimp bullet connectors sold at auto parts stores, if using the crimp on connectors, use a good quality crimper, here are a few ideas, take care, Chellie

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC_C...52112QQfrsrcZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPARK...spagenameZWDVW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	016_1.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	39532  

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-01-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Spitzfiya

Thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks for the help
Welcome to Wattflyers
Old 09-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Spitzfiya

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Spitzfiya buy yourself some bullet connectors and install them on your lipo, esc and charger, they work great, you can solder them on or use the blue crimp bullet connectors sold at auto parts stores, if using the crimp on connectors, use a good quality crimper, here are a few ideas, take care, Chellie

http://stores.ebay.com/Heads-Up-RC_C...52112QQfrsrcZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPARK...spagenameZWDVW
I just short circuited my Li-Po Battery while installing the bullet connectors.

Thats ridiculous Park Zone would make you modify something so dangerous such as a Li-Po to make it work with their products!

It was only for a second and it happened when i was cutting through the wires, I cut through them both at the same time.

No explosion or flames or smoke just sparks, I am charging the battery as we speak.

Do you think I should still use the battery? or is it fried?

Last edited by Spitzfiya; 09-02-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:18 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I just short circuited my Li-Po Battery while installing the bullet connectors.

Thats ridiculous Park Zone would make you modify something so dangerous such as a Li-Po to make it work with their products!

It was only for a second and it happened when i was cutting through the wires, I cut through them both at the same time.

No explosion or flames or smoke just sparks, I am charging the battery as we speak.

Do you think I should still use the battery? or is it fried?

Hi, as long as the battery did not bubble on you or smoke, it should be ok, charge the battery and give it a try, do you have a volt meter, you can check how much voltage you have, if its a 3 cell you should have 11.1v or a little more voltage at the lipo, here is a place to get a digital volt meter if you dont have one for a few dollars, harbor freight tools or radio shack, take care, Chellie

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90899

its only $4.99
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Spitzfiya

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi, as long as the battery did not bubble on you or smoke, it should be ok, charge the battery and give it a try, do you have a volt meter, you can check how much voltage you have, if its a 3 cell you should have 11.1v or a little more voltage at the lipo, here is a place to get a digital volt meter if you dont have one for a few dollars, harbor freight tools or radio shack, take care, Chellie

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90899

its only $4.99

Ah cool, well the Li-Po charged without incident and the Spit revs up nice so I guess it's alright.

I guess ill find out tomorrow when i maiden it again.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ah cool, well the Li-Po charged without incident and the Spit revs up nice so I guess it's alright.

I guess ill find out tomorrow when i maiden it again.

Cheers
Great thats good to hear, have fun and take care, Chellie
Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Before you get to deep, and before you make another mistake you should reap up on the care / feeding of LiPo batteries. This is a very good site:
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
marchino61

[quote=Spitzfiya;264530]
quote]

My Spitfire came with an adaptor cable for using the Li-Po battery. Didn't yours?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1054
Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

My Spitfire came with an adaptor cable for using the Li-Po battery. Didn't yours?

lol
Old 09-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Spitzfiya

[quote=marchino61;264983]
quote]

It came with that exact adapter cable minus the blue male connector!

Not kidding! Had to make my own
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 AM
RandolphNav

[QUOTE=marchino61;264983]
quote]

Did they just start including these with the planes? I don't remember getting one either lol Speaking of the PZ Spitfire, has anybody dropped a six series brushless in it? My spitfire is hanging from its strings from my ceiling...haven't flown it in 4 months. I've been flying my MUS and new
E-flite extra 480 ARF because they seem a lot more fun to fly. I was thinking of dropping a six series in it with a 22 amp ESC...figured this would give it a boost of power and force me to take it out for a flight....feel bad that it's hanging collecting dust
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Mingus the Red

Smile Detroit hawk,one of your mods

I saw,and performed one of your simpler mods to the spit,the wing clip..
Holy smokes what a difference in roll rate.,And I just like the way she handles better now to in general. ( Didnt think she could fly much better than she already did!) Slightly Noticable speed increase too!
Thanks for the Tip!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Mingus the Red View Post
I saw,and performed one of your simpler mods to the spit,the wing clip..
Holy smokes what a difference in roll rate.,And I just like the way she handles better now to in general. ( Didnt think she could fly much better than she already did!) Slightly Noticable speed increase too!
Thanks for the Tip!

Yeah, with the clipped wings it really does fly better. I have been very happy with this plane after making that mod.

I am glad to hear it has worked out for you.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Ummmm -- I would NEVER put bullet connectors on a battery. Bullet connectors are not polarized, and will allow you to connect your battery to your ESC BACKWARDS -- THIS WILL FRY YOUR ESC.

If you are using bullet connectors on your battery, you are flying on borrowed time... :o
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

I like bullet connectors for the ESC to Motor wires covered with heatshrink tubing.

I use Deans Ultra Plugs on all battery to ESC connections...Female plug on the battery.....

I think most folks do the same.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 AM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Same here as Murph, bullet connectors from ESC to motor, Deans Ultras from ESC to Lipo.

And FWIW, I bought my Spitfire in March and also did not get the adapter cable.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Exactly -- I'm with Pat and Murph...
Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
aman74

Why not put one male and one female bullet on the battery?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I suppose you COULD, and then it would be "polarized".

However, NOW, you have to put one male and one female bullet connector on your BATTERY, which means you have a piece of metal sticking out of your battery (which is not insulated), and could (potentially) short out against something.

Deans connectors can't do that. The two wires run to a single piece of plastic (no contacts flopping around), and both contacts are FEMALE on the battery end (no non-insulated contacts).
Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
keithmartin
Have crashed them all.

E-Flight now has a whole series of bullet connectors, for battery and ESC, they have a blue, sleeve that the bullet connectors go into, that makes them polorized.

I have switched all of my planes and batterys to these. They are easy to use and make better connections.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Those sound like they'd be similar to the ones Chellie posted up above in a picture. Dad really wants to switch to these, as we can't get the Deans Connectors (non-name brand version) to pull apart half the time before their soldered on, and if they heat up at all during the soldering process and warp a little - forget about it! We had to use pliers to stick the connectors together the other day, which gave me a nervous fit that I was going to touch both leads with the pliers at the same time and short it (Dad's not so good at the shrink wrapping ... :P )

He wanted to switch to the bullet connectors we had lying around, but I told him that sounded like it was just asking for trouble if he only had a loose piece of rubber insulation around the ends that could slip off.

Going to have to check out those E-Flite ones.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Those sound like they'd be similar to the ones Chellie posted up above in a picture.
No -- the Eflite connectors are much more similar to the Deans connectors than to normal bullet connectors.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
No -- the Eflite connectors are much more similar to the Deans connectors than to normal bullet connectors.

^^

Quick Reply: ParkZone Spitfire help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10614 seconds with 14 queries