Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Sig 1/5th Cub

Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 AM
SunDevilPilot

Default Sig 1/5th Cub

I have been working on a Sig 1/5 scale Cub that is going to be powered with an E-Flight Power 46 motor. I am about to mount the motor and I wanted to get some information from you cub owners. The plans and manual for the Sig make no mention of right thrust. Most of my planes end up with about 3 degrees of right. Does this sound about right for a cub. I have only built and flown aerobatic planes but I am hoping to make an extremely docile plane for those "lazy" afternoons shooting landings.

Right thrust?
Down thrust?

Thanks in advance,

SunDevilPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearly-Complete-1.jpg
Views:	4672
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	77552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Struts-3.jpg
Views:	3825
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	77553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Struts-5.jpg
Views:	2479
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	77554  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer SunDevil. I love the details of your Cub...looks great.

I would go ahead and add the down and right thrust. Just a few degrees.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Welcome SunDevilPilot,

I'll be interested to see how your Cub right and down thrust work out. I'm picking up a 71" Cub (Green Models 1/6th scale) this week that I'll also be converting from glow to electric with a power 46 motor.

Good luck with it and keep posting pictures. It looks great so far.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer, SunDevil. I also really like the detail on your Cub. The struts and landing gear are great.

Set up your motor mount so you can come back later and add or remove washers under corners of the mount to adjust the thrust angle. If you build the firewall flat, then the adjustments can be made later.

I would imagine some right and down thrust is needed.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi There
I electrocuted this kit for a QEFI review around three or four years back now. One of the best kits I've ever built, I just built it, changed the engine mount out for a motor mount (geared MaxCim 13Y, told you it was a while back) and fitted a mount for the batter - initially 20 x 2200mA NiMh, backed off to 16 x 3000mA NiMh. At a shade over 8lbs, it flew beautifully from the off.

Suggest 2 or 3 degrees of right thrust - it's a high winged scale model, they need right and down. Though I know of one very respected designer/builder who says not, I'll never be convinced of otherwise...

Interesting flight habit of mine - if it got too slow, it didn't stall, the controls just stopped working! Found out this on approach to a landing early on... Solution was to power up some, and it all started working normally again.

Looks from here like you have one of those sprung undercarriages - good move, mine, being a kit review, had the kit wire gear on it. Really had to be landed gently at the correct speed, or she was off a'bouncing around.

I also ended up adding some hefty aileron differential - around 1/3 total down going, 2/3rds up, total movement around the same as spec'd in the kit. Occasionally had to help with rudder if turning when real slow, but otherwise a delightful flying machine that could creep across the sky like real Cubs do.

I sold it because it was a pain to haul around in the Passat wagon I had back then. Since have replaced it with a clipwing Sig 1/6th, which is easier to carry, but nowhere near as scale in flight as its much 'quicker'. Now we have a bigger barge, still have an urge for another 1/5th, it is a great model.

Enjoy your Cub

Dereck
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM
SunDevilPilot

The end results are 2.5 degrees of right thrust and 1.5 degrees of down. I found the plans mentioned the down thrust but did not reference the right thrust. Made the mount out of solid aluminum rod and an aluminum plate. I had to create the mount in the way it is due to the existing blind nuts installed when I was planning to go with a glow motor. The blind nuts were epoxied in and I was not about to attempt to remove them. I just went around them when installing new blind nuts.

The aluminum plate is square to the firewall but the standoffs from the plate to the motor backplate has the 2.5 and 1.5 degree offset built in. The entire mount is offset on the firewall left and up to compensate for the thrust angles Making the drive washer in the center of the thrustlines.

What you think?

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Aluminum-Motor-Mount.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	77987  
Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Sig 1/2a piper cub. About 44" wing. Protractor to the plan yields 3 degrees right and 2.5 degrees down. Flies real nice!

P.s. THAT is one nice looking motor mount. Mind if I copy it??
Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

You do good work SunDevil, looks like it should hold up well.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Like your adaptation method of fitting a motor to where your engine was going. It all looks good from here.

regards

Dereck
Old 09-17-2008, 02:53 AM
SunDevilPilot

Will post some pics soon but I just wanted to make a post about Solartex. I have never used it before, stictly monokote prior, and found it about 10 times easier to use than monokote. I really falls into place and is extremely wrinkle resistant. Went around the compound curve of the wingtip with no problems. Hopefully it paints as nice as is goes down.

FYI: I ordered some Nelson Hobby Paint for the Cub. Will be another first and if all the postings are accurate it should be some good stuff.

SunDevilPilot
Old 09-17-2008, 12:53 PM
jb48

Very nice job on that motor mount!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Haven't used Solartex in I don't know how long - possibly the mid 1980s!

As you've noticed, great to apply - but watch out for the weight It never was the lightest of coverings in the UK - more like the heaviest, and if you're going to paint it, either keep a real close eye on application density or be prepared to live with a lot of extra weight.

The Cub has just over 1,000 square inches of wing area, which is over 2000 squares of surface area on the wing alone. Plenty of space to pile it on.

My Sig 1/5th J3 flew at 8lb 3oz, IIRC, with a battery that weighed in around 34 ounces - using LiPo, you get something of a reprieve. If I ever do another, will be trying real hard to get close to 7lb though.

It's do-able - Page Aviation's Super Cub kit was a hair over 80" span and could be built to 6lb.

Regards

Dereck
Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 PM
SunDevilPilot

Got the first wing covered. Process was simple even on my first attempt with Solartex. Went on smooth and error free. On to the next wing.....

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Wing-Covered-1.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	78508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing-Covered-2.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	78509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing-Covered-3.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	78510  
Old 11-10-2008, 03:14 AM
SunDevilPilot

Painting has begun,

Got the top of the wings, bottom of the wings, struts, and landing gear done. Still need stars and bars on the wings along with the invasion stripes. The gear and wing struts are painted in such a way that they are grey from the bottom and olive drab from the top. Painted the wings with my Sata Minijet and the Gear / stuts with my Iwata Airbrush.

Still need to paint the top of the ailerons. The olive drab is a little more opaque than I anticipated and I ran out of paint in the gun. Too lazy to mix more so I put that part off. Will paint them when I do the fuse.

So far I am really happy with the Nelson paint.

Note: The Robart gear come primed. Do not use Nelson paint over their primer, it will not stick. I ended up stripping the gear, painting with the Nelson epoxy primer, covering, and finish painting.

Also to note, I will be painting the "Cub" hubs green to match the military scheme.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Landing-Gear-1.jpg
Views:	1975
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	83302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings-and-Struts-1.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	83303  
Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

That landing gear is seriously for drooling over! The wire gear on my Sig Cubs was the one let-down for both models. Still idly thinking over a set of 'proper' gear for even my 1/6th clipwing - I have Gordon Whitehead's book on scale aeromodelling from the 1980's, which describes how to do gear like this, and it isn't all that difficult.

Though just buying one of the commercials would save about the spare time I could have used to build another model aircraft.

Love your paint job - a skill that has forever eluded me, and one that you do proud. Looking forwards to seeing the completed model

Regards
Dereck
Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
SunDevilPilot

Been working on getting the cowl mounted so the painting can continue. Decided on making mounting blocks with brass inserts. The blocks are glued and screwed to the firewall. I never liked using using wood screws because they always seem to want to strip out when mounting the cowl.

Next, painting fuse and creating the dummy engine. Dummy will be made from the plans on "The Cub Den".

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Cowl-Mount-1.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	83995  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 AM
SunDevilPilot

Been working on some of the painting for my Cub and got the base colors done. The Nelson Hobby Paint goes over the Solartex well. Some issues I am having with the Nelson Paint, however, is it dries quickly in this warm region and if you don't work quickly it will start to dry in the paint gun. I also learned the Olive Drab is a bit thin and goes on a little transparent until you get a couple layers on. Still need the stars and bars as well as the invasion stripes.

Name:	Base-Paint-Complete-1.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	84725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base-Paint-Complete-2.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	84726  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thumbs up

Man that really looks nice! Can't wait to see her done.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
SunDevilPilot

Started painting the invasion stripes onto the wings. Still need to add the black stripe to the ailerons and add the Roundels.

Also attached is a photo of the cub I am copying (roughly).

Then..... On to the fuse detail.

SunDevilPilot

Name:	Invasion-Stripes-on-Wings-1.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	85290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Military-Cub.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	85292  
Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Good luck with that nose art - someone in my house is a little too PC and tetchious over suchlike for me to attempt that kind of scale subject.

I used to fly with a guy who got around that sort of problem by getting his wife to dress up like his Corsair prototype's nose art, photographing her and making up nose art decals - you have to admire that sort of style!

D
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Clever idea, Dereck, and would have been wonderful 30 years ago, but there's not much call for 63 year old grey haired grannies in pin-up poses on aircraft noses! Maybe I could convince my very photogenic daughter-in-law to do the honours these days; that's the ticket
Brad
Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi Brad
Okay, sounds like we need to go no deeper

If you want a real classy example of more modern nose-art, go look up Stephen Coonts' book 'Cannibal Queen'. Cannibal Queen is the Stearman biplane he bought and flew to every state in the lower 48, mostly to say he'd done it, plus he loved flying. His possibly better known work is 'Flight of the Intruder', which was made into a film of the same name. Fiction but as he flew Intruders, he knew what he was on about.

As a demo of modern times, the CQ had nose art, but only on one side, so the PC Police could photograph Stephen with the left side of the cowling as background, and not be offended by what was painted on t'other side.

For those baffled, or if any of the iSpend generation are wondering how they can get a book IMd to them, start here:
http://coonts.com/Books/cannibal_queen.htm

Haven't found any web mention of the CQ's nose art yet, but she's shown in the book - though the identity of the inspiration is a closely guarded secret.

In our Nanny State times, I wouldn't dare put anything like it on a model though !

Regards

Dereck
Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Is this it Dereck?

Name:	DSC00361.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	85393  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Nearly...

I just looked up my copy of his book.

Your version undoubtably depicts Mr Coont's Stearman, but the subject in question has some 'additions'. The one in my book - let's say that I won't scan it and show it here, lest the PC Police come banging on my door at a socially unacceptable hour, for which they should profusely apologise

Dereck
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Brad
Okay, sounds like we need to go no deeper

If you want a real classy example of more modern nose-art, go look up Stephen Coonts' book 'Cannibal Queen'. Cannibal Queen is the Stearman biplane he bought and flew to every state in the lower 48, mostly to say he'd done it, plus he loved flying. His possibly better known work is 'Flight of the Intruder', which was made into a film of the same name. Fiction but as he flew Intruders, he knew what he was on about.

As a demo of modern times, the CQ had nose art, but only on one side, so the PC Police could photograph Stephen with the left side of the cowling as background, and not be offended by what was painted on t'other side.

For those baffled, or if any of the iSpend generation are wondering how they can get a book IMd to them, start here:
http://coonts.com/Books/cannibal_queen.htm

Haven't found any web mention of the CQ's nose art yet, but she's shown in the book - though the identity of the inspiration is a closely guarded secret.

In our Nanny State times, I wouldn't dare put anything like it on a model though !

Regards

Dereck
Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Is this it Dereck?
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Nearly...

I just looked up my copy of his book.

Your version undoubtably depicts Mr Coont's Stearman, but the subject in question has some 'additions'. The one in my book - let's say that I won't scan it and show it here, lest the PC Police come banging on my door at a socially unacceptable hour, for which they should profusely apologise

Dereck
If you read the third chapter, you will see that my dad, Skid Henley, restored the Stearman that became the Cannibal Queen. It was really cool to walk into a bookstore and pick up a book written by a very famous author, open it up and find your dad featured in a chapter and included in the photos in the middle of the book.

The Queen, who was originally nude, had a bikini added after Stephen got married in 1995 and acquired a 10 year old stepson. He personally got the paint and and added the bikini.

Last edited by Rabbitcreekok; 12-01-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Sig 1/5th Cub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16710 seconds with 26 queries