Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Gws e starter motor help

Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Al Ketchum

Default Gws e starter motor help

I've been out of the hobby for a while now. My brother got me a Founders package through Flite Test which includes their Founders plane. Now this is a rather special plane to me so I kind of want to put something else in the air to work out the cobwebs first. I have an old estarter and I remember how much fun they were. I'm horrible at figuring out the whole brushless thing. Could someone please give me some links to a good motor, esc etc. I want to keep it cheap as possible. Doesn't need to be crazy either. Like I said, I'd just like to get comfortable in the air again before I start the Flite Test plane.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM
buzzltyr

Al, Flite Test has a motor package for the Legacy/Founder airplane (evidently it can also be built as a twin). They call it "Power Pack C". Here's a link to the Flite Test store: https://store.flitetest.com/flite-te...t-3003/p674264 This would give you the servos, motor, ESC and props for the Founder. If you don't want to go that route, I'd suggest you look for a similar motor to the one listed there (an Emax 2215/10). Places you might look are www.headsuphobby.com, www.valuehobby.com or www.altitudehobbies.com. Basically, the Emax they list is a "speed 400" size brushless motor that will produce about 200 watts. The Emax motor weighs 70 grams (2 1/2 ounces). So if you want to look at other motors, look at ones that will weigh about that much, and can produce at least 200 watts. That should fly the airplane just fine. Flite Test doesn't give an all up weight for the Legacy/Founder, but it does have a 54" wingspan, so I would think a couple of pounds would be about right. So 200 watts would give you 100 watts per pound, which is about right for basic aerobatics. If the plane comes in at 3 pounds, I'd look for a slightly larger motor (250-300 watts).
Mark
Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Al Ketchum

Thanks Mark. I know about the power pack for the founders plane. Although I was thinking about going tri-motor on it. My question though was about a good power setup for the gws e-starter. I want to get it in the air first to take away as much "dumb thumbs" as possible since i haven't flown in a while. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM
buzzltyr

Sorry, Al. I should learn to read more carefully!

So, looking at the E Starter specs, I think a 350-400 size motor would be more than adequate. The E starter should have an all up weight of about 16 ounces, so 100 watts would be fine. My "go-to" vendor for inexpensive power systems is HeadsUp Hobby. So,
Motor: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...or_p_1496.html
ESC: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Sky-Powe...EC_p_1929.html
You will need this motor mount adapter, as I'm pretty sure the E-Starter used a 10mm square stick for the geared motor: http://www.headsuphobby.com/Aluminum...ck_p_3051.html

You didn't indicate what you would use for a battery. If using a 3 cell, an 8x6 prop would be appropriate (the HeadsUp site has the prop data on the motor page).

You might also keep in mind that the old geared brushed motors were heavy in comparison with brushless outrunners. You may need to add nose weight or make modifications to move the battery foreward.

Mark

Last edited by buzzltyr; 02-04-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Al Ketchum

Perfect! Thank you so much for the links! I had planned on using a 3 cell. If nothing else it should give me a little more weight to help balance it out. Again, thanks.