Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Jamara ZLIN 526 conversion

Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
electricfan

Exclamation Jamara ZLIN 526 conversion

I want to convert the big Zlin ( advertised at 2.6mtr span although their website says 2.3!) with a recomended motor size of 30cc. The original was a big old thing with big old graceful manoeveres so while it may seem like it is underpowered by todays standards this size of power is adequate.The box says finished weight is at around 4.5kilos(10-11lbs including retracts) I fly only electric but usually only small stuff so moving up to this size is a bit of a challenge, Anybody any suggestions as to power systems for this plane ? Like most of us I have a limited budget but It would be a shame to have to resort to a xxxxxx engine, Any ideas gratefully recieved Thanks The Electricfan
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 PM
haze_b

You might want to consider going gas/ignition vice electric for the big birds. I think just the cost of just LiPo's would be higher than a complete gasser setup.
I've always flown electric, mostly .40 size, but am looking to move to giant scale warbirds. After researching power options and cost analysis, it is clear to me that after .60 size, the only benefit to electric is the noise. I would never consider glow however.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Miljenko

Here you are, Electricfan,

this is my Jamara Zlin 526 conversion: http://www.pbase.com/miljenko/zlin526&page=all

You can find some info on this conversion at the top of the page. Don't hesitate to ask whatever you like about this project. Zlin is no longer with me (check the last pic in the gallery), but I can tell you so much about it.

If I manage to get second sample of this kit, I'll build it again. Flies like a dream and looks gorgeous in the air.

Regards, Miljenko