Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I got the super cub!!!!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
ralph99

cheech, i beleive that realflight g3.5/4 simulator would help you tremendously.....it helped me so much!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Leo L

Actually, the old timers who are getting into the hobby in their 70's and 80's have more troubles than the youngsters. Its all a matter of hand-eye coordination, reaction time, eye sight, etc. I've seen a few old timers say that the SuperCub was too fast for them and they opted for the SloStick or Slow-V.

Ralph, we're all glad to hear of your decission to go with the SuperCub and of your success with it. It was nice of you to let your friend try it, but in the future, as the "experienced" flyer, get the plane well in the air before letting a "beginner" try it out. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 PM
ralph99

i will keep you updated but i have to go to the mountains tom. and might not say anything for like 5 days. by the way, everone on wattflyer sure is nice. my friend (moms boyfriend) that crashed my cub loves planes.......what would be the best plane rc for him? ps. he is very inexperianced and freezes up on the stick because he gets nervouse.....
Old 07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Good luck man. TURN ACT OFF! it dosnt help, trust me man. supercub was my first plane.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
ralph99

ill do that.....so plz tell me what a good plane for my friend would be??
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by ralph99 View Post
i will keep you updated but i have to go to the mountains tom. and might not say anything for like 5 days. by the way, everone on wattflyer sure is nice. my friend (moms boyfriend) that crashed my cub loves planes.......what would be the best plane rc for him? ps. he is very inexperianced and freezes up on the stick because he gets nervouse.....
Well the SC is a great first plane. But if he's freezing up at the sticks, perhaps he should practice a bit with an Aero Ace or something (Inexpensive but good flying toy by Air Hogs). Some other options are a slow stick or any of the pod and boom style pusher prop planes ... they tend to fly very slowly and may be more to his liking.

He should also probably log some time on a simulator.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
Actually, the old timers who are getting into the hobby in their 70's and 80's have more troubles than the youngsters. Its all a matter of hand-eye coordination, reaction time, eye sight, etc. I've seen a few old timers say that the SuperCub was too fast for them and they opted for the SloStick or Slow-V.

Ralph, we're all glad to hear of your decission to go with the SuperCub and of your success with it. It was nice of you to let your friend try it, but in the future, as the "experienced" flyer, get the plane well in the air before letting a "beginner" try it out. Please keep us updated on your progress.
I think some of it has to do with my generation who has grown up playing video games. Those give us great thumb control/coordination with our eyes so that flying a plane isn't much different as far as the motor skills required.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
ralph99

OMG i never thought of that but your probaly right. i let him fly my aero ace ( its on top of som building now) and he could fly it(sorta). mabe he could go with a slow stick??
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Ralph, you might want to try downloading FMS (a totally free r/c flight sim) and having him practice on that before he kills any more planes. It doesn't measure up to Realflight G3.5 or anything that you'd pay money for, but it's enough to get him confident and semi-skilled.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
Actually, the old timers who are getting into the hobby in their 70's and 80's have more troubles than the youngsters. Its all a matter of hand-eye coordination, reaction time, eye sight, etc.
Hey! I resemble that remark! Unfortunately it's true, so Ralph99, you're getting into R/C at the right age to make it a lifetime hobby. I don't know if you enjoy building your own yet or not, but you need to do yourself a favor and check out some of the simple foamie builds available on this forum. Once you build up a stock of reusable parts (receivers, motors, servos, esc's, etc.) the sky's the limit on what you can build (and crash) .

If your friend is inclined to build, he might enjoy creating his own semi-indestructible flying machines from foam. It's less painful to crash a piece of lumber yard foam than something like your SuperCub.

Good luck and have fun!

John
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
ralph99

i have had fms and i dint think it helped me...i only used the keyboard(util i had realflight)
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

Oh, if you have Realflight, definitely get your mom's boyfriend using that. Yes, flight sims aren't really helpful unless you have a transmitter to hold; the keys don't give you any muscle memory that actually relates to radio controlled flight.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 AM
ralph99

thankz
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Originally Posted by ralph99 View Post
on an rcgroups tread it said you shoulnt fly the supercub if you were unger 15 years old.......im 12!and i can fly it easily!
I'm twelve too! yea! random and off topic I know.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:28 AM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Corsair13 View Post
anyway I'm getting a super cub for Christmas
Just as long as you don't fly it till you are 15....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Originally Posted by Corsair13 View Post
Wow congratulations,thats pretty awesome dude you must have been really good this year.Let us know how it flies -RT
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Default My rc-mas list

I'm almost completely new to R/C flying. I've watched videos of R/C planes on youtube and have had a few successful flights on my Megatech CC flyer (CC stands for completely crap). This Christmas I plan on purchasing these things:

Hobbyzone.com
HZ Super Cub $160
PZ Micro Cessna 210 (green/silver) $120
PZ Slo-v $100
Micro sport wheels $5
Floats $10
Snow skis $10
3.7 volt 70mAH $10
8.4 volt 1000mAH battery $20
x-port aerial drop module $20
TowerHobbies.com
GWS 10x6 propeller (6) $ 10
GWS 11x8 propeller (6) $ 10
Towerhobbies easy tote prebuilt x1 $20
Rcslot.com
PZ prop/spinner: Micro Cessna x4 $10
BMKdesigns.net
3mm prop saver x2 $10

Is this a good choice? And please give me any advice you have for me as a beginer and a buyer of these planes?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
HEMICUDA

Corsair,

Buy the HZ Supercub, extra Battery, get the skis and/or floats too as well as the larger sport wheels. thats it. Don;t keep buying the cheapo RTF's as the electronics are cheap as well as the motors and batteries.
Next after you master the SC go to a nice 4 ch bird or mod the SC with ailerons. Then opt for a 2.4 TX/RX atleast 6ch and then you can go from there. See if you like the hobby before you commit the $ then upgrade ,upgrade upgrade. Don't waste your$ on buying RTF's over and over again.

Hemicuda
Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

k thanxz. I went ahead and ordered the Super Cub, the battery, the skis, the props, and the prop saver. The super cub came with an extra battery already! I've got three batteries! The skis are so cool and fat. Will the skis work on powder? I think my maiden flight is going to be on skis. thanxz again
Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
AlexinFlight

Super Cub is for sure super! Good Luck! Lots of mods can be done with the SC. Great plane and really fun to fly!

Mods:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ay&thread=1829

Flight:
http://supercubclub.proboards78.com/...ay&thread=1855

Lots of complements on the pic below. Ain't she beautiful in flight!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SC 2.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	87117  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 PM
lofty

ACT is a nightmare
Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Originally Posted by lofty View Post
ACT is a nightmare
I completly agree I tried to take off with it on (accidently) it's impossible to take off!! My act must have somthing wrong with it, or is that normal?!!??!!?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

d

Last edited by ministeve2003; 03-27-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Mini14gb

I got the Super Cub last week and flew it today. I was flying a 2 channel HobbyZone FBC2 and it was just too easy so I gave it to my brother in law and nephew. I trimmed up the Cub that did require a push rod shortening and put her in the air this morning after waiting 3 long days for decent weather conditions.

Its a little quicker in the air and the landing approach feels like its really hauling butt. I managed 4 landings in good order and one that bounced a little and put my prop in the ground. I had the motor shut down so no big deal.

I originally bought the ParkZone Radian (I still have the Radian) as a second plane but decided to make the cheaper Super Cub my first 3-channel flyer. A couple months of practice and that Radian will hit the skies. Its tough looking at it setting idle as I head out to the field but I donít want to smash it up. Also on the way is a Vapor, which should be here tomorrow!! I work in a large industrial facility with lots of open indoors flying at my fingertips everyday. Yes, it OK I won't get fired.

I did happen to notice that the radio that came with my Radian has the rudder on the throttle stick and the elevators on the right side. Is there anyway I can get both on the right stick??