Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Just got a Electric Super Bobcat 25!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 AM
mtuhoop24

Default Just got a Electric Super Bobcat 25!

I just got this plane in the mail yesterday. Stayed up late and got up early to put it together. Not the easiest thing to put together. Holes didn't line up to well etc........but I have everything but the motor. I am waiting for that to arrive. Here is a link to the plane.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sufa2539niga.html

Here is my question and the need for help. The plane take two 20g servos for the aileron, two 9g servos for the rudder and two 9g servos for the elevator. Got all of those in with Y-adapters for each so I can hook them to my Rx. It comes with a steerable nose wheel and a place for a 20g servo in the fusealage. The question is where to I hook it to my Rx. The servos for the rudder are in the tail and on the outside of the tail. I can't hook anything to them like you would a normal nose wheel. You know hook the nose wheel to the rudder servo.

I have a Spektrum DX7.

Any ideas......I am sure that it is very simple.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Use another 'Y' harness to conect the nose servo to the rudder chanel. You will end up with 3 servos on your rudder chanel.

You do need to be carefull how you run the linkages because if you reverse the rudder chanel ALL 3 servos will reverse at the same time. You may need to attach the controll rods to opposite sides of the servos to get everything moving in the correct directions.

Another option is to plug the nose servo into a spare channel and use a mix to the rudder channel.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 AM
Larry3215

By the way - I almost bought one of those. That price is a steal!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 AM
mtuhoop24

So hook it to AUX and then run a little rudder mix with the AuX channel. Never done that before..........good idea............I always thought that the other channels were all or nothing type things - on or off.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Larry3215

It works great.

I dont know your radio, so you will need to look up how to do it for sure. Generally there is a programable mix where you select a master and a slave channel. In this case the master is rudder and the slave is the aux channel you plug the nose servo into.

Then you select a percentage for the mix and sometimes a direction and sometimes you can choose between linking the trims all together or not. Your owners manual should walk you thru it.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:27 AM
mtuhoop24

Thanks I played with it a little . Haven't hooked it up to the plane yet.

As a side note I bought the plane on Black Friday - $52 bucks. Shipping was about $18.

Sturdy, neat looking plane. Instruction are horrible however. Good thing this isn't my first plane or I would be lost!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

thats a great price for that plane!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Larry3215

Keep us posted on the build - power system etc. I may still get one.

I was thinking that 1000 watt setup should get it over 100 mph. Might have to add retracts though.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi I bought one of those also, have not put it together yet, My friend Mini Steve has one too, he says it fast, really fast, with all those servos, you might want to use a UBEC, all those servos are going to draw a lot of electricty, most ESC are only 1 1/2 amp to 2 amp, on the bec, and those numbers are over rated, I belive my friend used a 60 AMP Turnigy ESC, the 40 and larger Turnigy ESC have a 3 AMP bec built into them, he said he had no problem with the 3 amp BEC, or use a Castle creation 10 AMP UBEC, to be on the safe side with, hope that helps, Chellie

the falcon and the bobcat seem to be the same

http://www.nitroplanes.com/bo90arfrarec.html

http://www.speedwing.net/minitwin_25...structions.pdf

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html
Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

ministeve2003
Class Clown

Friends: (12)

well, at least I can tell you the right setup for parts.... the battery's the only thing thats gonna kill ya... maybe if you double up a couple 4cell packs you won't have to get another big one..

this is the stuff I used...

2 of these for rudders...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7487
3 of these for elevator, ailerons
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6340
this is the motor
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._1000Kv_/_605w
60amp esc
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller
4cell 3700mah rhino lipo
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7296

my prop selections

prop 9x4
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5509
9x6e
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7951
9x7.5e
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7952

SK
Ministeve's videos
http://www.vimeo.com/user483596/videos
Ministeve's Photo Page at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 PM
mtuhoop24

I plan on using a 60amp with the 3a UBEC. The motor I am putting in puts out about 550 watts and I plan on using a 4s 4000mah lipo. I think a 9X6 or so prop...............I still have to cut a whole out in the bottom to get to the servo extensions. This is one of the problems with the plane. It isn't very user friendly in the access to the equip etc.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
mtuhoop24

Here are some pictures. The one looking into the fuse going toward the back you can notice that you don't see any wires. That is because they are in the back compartment just forward of the motor mount.

I read somewhere that someone cut a hatch in the bottom in that section to access the wires and facilitate getting them through the fusealage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	85941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	85942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	85943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	85944  
Old 12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
mtuhoop24

Anybody have an idea for the canopy on this thing. It is rather flimsy and it needs to come off and on for battery etc. It says you are suppose to screw it on but not practical in the electric version.

Thanks.......I guess after all my question I should have had someone come over and build it for me!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Well... Funny to see this one....LOL

I used the specs chellie posted... its pretty heavy (considering the weight of all the other planes I build), first flight I used 9x4 and it was fast as heck.... too fast for the field I tryed maidening it on.... I'm currently redoing the motor mount.... It had a little torkroll problem, I'm adjusting that... the way I'm trying to is .... Looking from behind the plane, pull the back of the motor to the right.... that should help, I hope... otherwise I'll need to program like 10% right aileron with throttle....

Build for this was pretty quick... I decided to skip the stearable nose wheel, so I glued a rod with an adjustable clevis to the front wood part, then I setup the nose wheel like normal, and then I could use the adjustable clevis to make sure the plane would roll straight... and be locked in.... it worked perfect on the maiden flight....

as for the motor mount.... I CA'd it on... I put a tiny bit of CA on and kicked it in place then dribbled CA in every couple hours letting it cure on its own, then dripping some more... till it filled everything in solid.... which turned out not to be the best idea... not because it was weak... rather the opposite was true.... The wood to fiberglass was like a perminant bond... I dropped Debonder on it for days... used a chissel and hammer.... and cracked a little fiberglass getting it back off... that hobbycity CA is some tuff stuff....

as far as the canopy... I just screwed it on... 3 wood screws... You could prob wire in a ON/OFF switch to help....

Maiden flight was scarry as heck.... the torkroll problem I had was impossible to fix, and I flew it out about 1/4mile, too far for me to see... I had someone with better eyesight guiding me back.... it was pretty scarry.... also I don't know if its the airframe or what... but it landed deadstick at about 40mph... it wouldn't slow down very quick.... so be prepared to have lots of room to land this one....

I'd also program 10% right aileron with throttle on a switch if you can just so that you'll have it available if you need it....

SK

Ps, that same combo should work great on the nitroplanes balsa f16 jet too.... which happens to be one of my next projects....LOL
Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 AM
mtuhoop24

Couple questions for you:

The two wheels - are they loose? Mine rock back and forth in the slot that is provided. I screwed the plastic plate over the top but that really isn't doing anything but holding it in. Did you CA or Epoxy yours in?

Is the rudder enough to steer this thing on the runway? I want to make my nose wheel stationary as well.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

rudder will not steer this... but I have a theory that goes like.... this make your takeoff and landings straight, and where you want them... and that won't be a problem... so far, that has worked out for me...lol

um... your not gonna believe this...but... I'm not even sure how I did this... but... I forgot to even lock the landing gear in... on maiden they held on for takeoff and flying... but they fell off at the landing part...LOL

Now I'm gonna CA them in, plus use the brackets to hold them in place, I may take one of the mounts and cut a groove in it so that I can mount it holding the landing gear straight.... that may help....

SK
Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 AM
mtuhoop24

OK...I just went and programmed a mix into my DX7 and I don't think I got it right.

I used the throttle as the master and the ailerons as the slave and put it on a switch. When I hit the switch the right aileron goes up a bit - the throttle is all the way down. As I lift up on the throttle the right aileron goes down back to neutral. I thought that it should start at neutral with the throttle down and as you give it throttle the right aileron should go up.......compensating for the torque roll!

Help!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

LOL, yea, you got the idea for what you want, unfortuanately, I can't guide you on it... as I have yet to do a setup like that... but I'll have to soon if I wan't this thing flying good...

SK
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

sounds like you have negative 10% instead of positive 10% on that aileron setup... cause then it would do the reverse....

SK
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

oh, ps, I also programed flaps in but never used them... just did it for flapperon setup.... I don't really like Y-cables...

SK
Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 AM
mtuhoop24

Oh I got three sets of Y cables.............I tried the -10 thing and that just sets the ailerons to a negative position when the switch is off!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 AM
mtuhoop24

Figured the mixing things out. I needed to push the throttle forward to change the percentage setting. Works like a charm. Well I am assuming it will once I get the motor and it isn't 15 degrees outside.

Where did you put your battery? I am thinking this things will be very tail heavy once I get the motor in place. I would think that it is all the way upfront.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Old thread, but I thought I'd post more info for anyone interested in this plane...

Motor combo worked good, I fixed thrust issue by moving motor angle.... looking from back of plane, I moved the back of the motor right about 3-5 degrees... that made a whole lot of difference... the plane flew great without any real tork issue, it flew pretty quick too... I'm not sure on speed, but it was good...

I sold the plane, and the guy that bought it wrecked the gear a couple times on landing, (he'd not the best at landing) and made new boxes for the gear...

It's actually a pretty durable plane,

the only problems I've found is landing gear can break easy if you don't set it in gently on landing.... also, the nose gear would be better if you made a box for the servo a little forward, that way you can center the battery easyier... it's kinda in the way...

SK