Brushless Motor Construction Discuss design and construction of custom Brushless motors

Turnigy 40 A Plush ESC

Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by crobar View Post
What is the difference Between the Plush and the Sentry.
Will they both work in the same application?
I have used both without issues... Buy the programming card it isn't totally needed due to the fact that you can program them with throttle settings, but it's a whole lot easyier...

SK
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM
crobar

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
I have used both without issues... Buy the programming card it isn't totally needed due to the fact that you can program them with throttle settings, but it's a whole lot easyier...

SK
Since my transmitter is only a Spectrum DX5 without programming capability, it sounds like I will have to use the throttle technique.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
quore

Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Since my transmitter is only a Spectrum DX5 without programming capability, it sounds like I will have to use the throttle technique.

I dont believe it matters if your transmitter is programmable or not. The ESC looks at the position of the throttle on the controller when you are programming it. You listen to tones coming from the ESC and then move the throttle accordingly per the instructions for that ESC. So you are not actually programming anything into the transmitter, just using it to program the ESC.

I am still new to electrics, but that is my understanding. I used a programming card and it was very easy. Definitely worth the money.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

@crobar- By all means pick up the five dollar programming card for Turnigy ESC's. This thing is golden!!!! You can program a new ESC in about five seconds with that.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2169

The plush does not offer battery control, whereas the Sentry has a balancer plug on it (like your charger does for charging) which you plug the battery into. The Sentry monitors your battery for more protection.

Both come with switching BEC's and both are excellent. I personally don't find the Sentrys any better except for maybe peace of mind.

You can use them both for your application. They should automatically recognize the number of cells in your battery, and you shouldn't need to reprogram it, unless your motor screeches and twirps/cheeps/stutters at startup, then you will have to change the timing. As I have the card I cannot tell you how to do this manually

With that motor, you should consider the 60A ESC, the motor has a 45A maximum, and the 60A ESC should cover you there, the 40A ESC may limit your prop size choices in the long run.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 PM
crobar

Thank you much for clearing this up for me even though you both have probably shared this info many times before. It gets a little confusing going from group to group reading about power systems. I now understand what needs to be done with the esc and I will likely go for the 60A just to be sure. The programming card sounds like a wise investment as well.