Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

I won't let winter keep me down!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 AM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Default I won't let winter keep me down!

Travelled to Edmonton, AB this weekend and got some really good AV/AP in. The conditions were cold, but very calm. The temperature didn't agree with my camera, as the batteries would freeze in about 5 minutes of flight, but I was able to get some good shots none the less. We've received tons of snow in the last couple weeks and it shows no signs of stopping.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029 (Medium).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	24094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032 (Medium).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	24095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075 (Medium).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24096  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

cool pics!.. spent some time in Edmonton, thats one heck of a mall they have there!

Dave
Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Yes, awesome scenery there.
With few exceptions, I've lived my life either in VERY mountainous territory (we owned an entire mountainside in Kentucky dotted with coal mines where I grew up), or the area of southwestern OH which is, by and large, undulating. It SEEMS far flatter than it is in my videos.
I took a business trip to Austin, Texas last year. I almost had a nervous breakdown. There's nothing there but SKY - sky everywhere! If ya get on a freeway in your rental car and drive there's just the beginning and end of the road, other cars - and SKY! Plus the state speed limit seems to be 120 mph.
That sky, after awhile, got HEAVY. Made me claustrophic as heck. I almost cheered when I saw the skyline of Austin begin to emerge. Finally - SOMETHING to break up the horizon!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Dave

Thats West Edmonton Mall in two of the pics I took. Largest mall in North America, I do believe. Accordingly, they also boast having the worlds largest parking lot!

Cheers
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Flyer 1 View Post
That sky, after awhile, got HEAVY. Made me claustrophic as heck. I almost cheered when I saw the skyline of Austin begin to emerge. Finally - SOMETHING to break up the horizon!
What ever you do, don't ever go to Guymon in the panhandle of Oklahoma. You would not survive. Out there you can count the trees you can see on the fingers of one hand and it is so flat you can see them all. It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
JWilliams

I lived in Saskatoon for a while. I do not miss the kinds of temps that you guys have

BTW, how high was that plane when u took the pics?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Riverman
"No common sense"

Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
I lived in Saskatoon for a while. I do not miss the kinds of temps that you guys have

BTW, how high was that plane when u took the pics?
I would estimate about 400feet. Maybe some of the more expert photographers could chime in with a better guess. I've been thinking of sending my Casio altimeter watch up for confirmation of altitude. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

Cheers