Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Twmaster

Default Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Hobby People have (sale might be over now) the Simple Stick from their brand 'Sport Flyers' on sale for $19.35. I ordered two. The total shipped was $48.65 for the pair.

These arrived today and I am impressed. Nice pre-assembled foam fuse with laser cut wood reinforcements. Two pre assembled laser cut wood motor mounts (one stick, one for DD SP400) and full hardware. Also included red packing tape as covering/decoration material.

This is a 40" aileron plane for 4 servos. The wing is two piece for easy transport. The instructions are clear with good illustrations and would be an easy build for just about anyone.

I'll be posting photos of the kit and the build here later this weekend.

For a power plant they call for what looks like a BP12 type outrunner, Speed 400 direct drive or 370 (GWS like) gear drive.

Weight to be between 20 and 25 ounces with a fairly light wing loading.

Even at their regular price of $39.99 it would be a decent bargain IMHO.

Time for bed. Photos and more details later.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

i'm about to buy one myself. thank you for the info. i was meant to randomly find your post.

thanks!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:35 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Picked one of these up because I couldn't resist the price. I'm currently flying a Super Cub and this looks like it will be good when I'm ready for alerons (sp?). Is there a good flight pack to use for this build?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
Is there a good flight pack to use for this build?
i am pretty new so, i dunno

i am getting used to LiPo's i think i will probably be using a 3 cell pack. i think that if kept around 20 ounces, 2 cell lipo's would probably be fine.

here is my build idea so far.

rx = blue arrow pico
esc = 15 amp brushless controller ( ebay cheapo)
motor = 2408-21 brushless ( or maybe a 400xt)
servos = Esky s500 (18oz./in torque)
Old 03-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Twmaster

Sorry for not posting more details this weekend. I've been swamped with work and personal matters.

The manual for this claims as I stated above for a power set. I'd expect it to fly well on a BP type or better outrunner. I'm thinking of an EMAX BL2210/30 and 3cell lipo. I'll experiment with props to get a 'sweet spot'.

For the purpose of this build out I am going to assemble per the manual (other than the power set) which means using the provided tape as covering and such.

More to come this week as I hope to begin the build tomorrow evening.

Keep yourself tuned to this channel!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:17 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

yes, keep us posted. i am eager to see how yours goes for you. you are the guinea pig.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post

For a power plant they call for what looks like a BP12 type outrunner, Speed 400 direct drive or 370 (GWS like) gear drive.

Weight to be between 20 and 25 ounces with a fairly light wing loading.

I think they are talking about a 1750Kv brushless which I think would be more like the BP21 or KMS 31/21. Props seem to be 8040 or 9040. I don't think GWS makes a 370 geared. I have a 300 B Gear (2.80:1) and a 350 D Gear (6.60:1). I'm thinking the 350 with a 9 -11" might work if I can keep things light enough.
If I have to buy a new motor I might go with this http://cgi.ebay.com/2408-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem

It will be interesting to see what actually works best.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

If I have to buy a new motor I might go with this http://cgi.ebay.com/2408-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem

that is the motor i have purchased as well. we'll see how it does.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Twmaster

I think they are talking about a 1750Kv brushless which I think would be more like the BP21 or KMS 31/21. Props seem to be 8040 or 9040. I don't think GWS makes a 370 geared. I have a 300 B Gear (2.80:1) and a 350 D Gear (6.60:1). I'm thinking the 350 with a 9 -11" might work if I can keep things light enough.
You are correct about which version of 'BP' motor. I personally am unimpressed with those motors. They seem to work fine but suffer from inconsistent performance and are very very easy to break the wires coming out of them as they simply ran the magnet wire out to the connection point. Cheezy man cheezy. In -my- opinion there are a lot of decent outrunner motors out there that don't cost much more to buy up front like those from SK (Motor Max) and EMAX to name a couple.

As to the term '370' it's just a class of motor AFAICT. The GWS 350 is a 370 class motor set even though the motor used is a Speed 300 Mabuchi. Also note I said 'GWS like' in my original post. I don't wish to engage in yet another debate over motor naming conventions as it will just give us all collectively a headache I think!

Absolutely. I have a variety of motors here to try out on this. Maybe she'll be a flying test bed!

I once again got tied up with chores so no airplane hacking tonight.

Perhaps tomorrow!! (I hope)
Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 AM
Twmaster

I should also add that the plane is still on sale for $19.35 and can be seen here:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160522.asp

Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
As to the term '370' it's just a class of motor AFAICT. The GWS 350 is a 370 class motor set even though the motor used is a Speed 300 Mabuchi. Also note I said 'GWS like' in my original post. I don't wish to engage in yet another debate over motor naming conventions as it will just give us all collectively a headache I think!
Ha! I don't know enough about this stuff to debate it! Newb here. I've been buying parts here and there that I see on sale or that I see have good reccomendations. You can get the 350 on sale for 9.00 from BPHobbies.com. Good to hear that the 350 might actually work on this plane. I promise free crash videos if it doesn't! Maybe I should order another one of these ARF's?

I figure experience is the best teacher. Nothing like a nose dive to teach you a lesson!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Twmaster

Heh! The plane is cheap enough that having a second for spares is a no brainer.

And, yea, let's see those videos! Hopefully not crash videos!

Me personally, I am going all brushless except for some GWS IPS powered ships. With the prices of brushless being so cheap (even for the low quality motors) it's almost nonsensical to fly brushed power.

Anyhow, back on topic. I am hoping this will fly well on a 100W brushless setup. I may try a GWS brushed power set depending on the results of the flight tests with the BL setup.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:54 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Got my $19.35 stick in the mail today. I was actually surprised and seems like it will a nice flying plane once finished. The foam does seem to be a bit brittle but I think some packing tape (some comes with the kit) will help. I wonder if econocote might be an option that would help strengthen the foam. Otherwise the fuse seems very sturdy.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:36 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

Got my $19.35 stick in the mail today. I was actually surprised and seems like it will a nice flying plane once finished. The foam does seem to be a bit brittle but I think some packing tape (some comes with the kit) will help. I wonder if econocote might be an option that would help strengthen the foam. Otherwise the fuse seems very sturdy.
ME TOO! i have already started on it. yeah.. this is kinda flimsy. i am using some carbon fiber reinforcements. looks pretty cool though. this will be my first time "coloring" a plane.
good luck on yours.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by icaboy View Post
ME TOO! i have already started on it. yeah.. this is kinda flimsy. i am using some carbon fiber reinforcements. looks pretty cool though. this will be my first time "coloring" a plane.
good luck on yours.
Carbon fiber is a good idea. Are you using rods or flats and where are you going to place them?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Twmaster

Say Ica...

Didn't you get in trouble with your last attempt at CF reinforcement??

I hope to have time this weekend to start building the first of the two Simple Sticks I have. Darn that silly four letter word (Work) getting in my way!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:15 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

[quote=Twmaster;165735]Say Ica...

Didn't you get in trouble with your last attempt at CF reinforcement??
quote]
trouble? maybe you are thinking of someone else.. i dunno.

i am using rods. in the main wing, i cut a small groove... added some ca and dropped in the c.f. rods.

in the fuselage i plan to cut some rods and place them between the fuse walls.

so far i think this plane is pretty cool.

do you think my 400xt or 2408-21 would be better? i still don't grasps the brushless motor speed/size concept.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 AM
bowtie hi

Helpful hint 101
If your going to cut a grove in the foam put some Gorilla glue in grove, wet it down, stick CF in and masking tape over all. The trick is to poke holes in tape so excess GG will ooze out leaving a smooth surface. I use a #11 blade and give it a slight twist. Remember GG swells quite a bit so don't use a bunch. I also have been looking at this plane but I bought 2 Wasp for the wings & CF boom. But I'll be watching youall.

Ken in Tenn.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

do you think my 400xt or 2408-21 would be better? i still don't grasps the brushless motor speed/size concept.
My guess is that either might work. the 400XT draws 10-11 amps and the 2408-1 draws 14 amps. I would have fun with it and try both and I would buy a variety of props (they are cheap enuff) and try them just to have fun and see what happens. Just make sure you have an ESC that can cover the amount of amps everything needs to draw plus alittle for good measure.

I'm in the process of building a simple delta wing right now so I'll be watching this thread for when I build my EP later. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thats a cute little plane, I like it, a bp21 might not be enough power for that plane, I would go with a 2409-12 with a 9x5 prop for 33 oz of thrust, with a 30amp esc and a 3 cell 1500 to 1650 mah 11.1v lipo, it will go vertical with that set up, and its cheap. the motor is only 18.00 from, heads up rc, on e bay, take care, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2409-12T-Outrunn...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

Default just about finished.

well, mine is almost finished. just lacking one more servo. i thought i had 4 but only had 3 . i used the 2408-21 motor and a 15 amp esc. (max 25) can i use a 3 cell with this?

batteriesincluded, are those numbers (amp draw) using a 2 cell, or 3?

oh well, soon enough i will launching this bird.

so.. the 400xt has less power than the 2408-21?

how is your plane coming along, TW?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

well, mine is almost finished. just lacking one more servo. i thought i had 4 but only had 3 . i used the 2408-21 motor and a 15 amp esc. (max 25) can i use a 3 cell with this?

Hi, yes you can use a 3 cell with that set up, the 2408-21 is rated at 14 amps cont. and 16 amps max, your 15 amp esc will be right at the max. it may get hot, later get a 30amp esc, it will last you longer in the long run, take care and have fun, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/2408-21-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Twmaster

Heh. I haven't had two minutes of building time come my way since last weekend.

The 400XT is about a 120W motor. It is a bit more efficient than those Chinese CD-ROM motors so it's hard to compare performance methinks.

If that motor you have pulls ~14A I'd not want to go with less than 18 or 20A ESC.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:12 AM
dimadee
Kontrol Freak

I saw this plane advertised in Quiet Flyer and thought that it looked like a great little plane

I sent Hobby People an email over a week ago asking for a shipping quote to Australia - I was even thinking of getting a couple of them.

I guess Hobby People don't read Australian so good.......no reply

I will take my small amount of money somewhere else.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Just want to subscribe. I'm torn between an EStarter or the Stik. Haven't found much info on the stik.

Quick Reply: Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18912 seconds with 11 queries