Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 AM
bowtie hi

Smoke You have a PM
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

well, she is finished. maybe i'll maiden her this weekend. i am not too sure about the power though. i have only used a 2cell and it felt kind of iffy. (still more vertical than my airstrike) so, i have a 3 cell in the mail. should be fine with the added voltage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF00eew02.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	26159  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
bowtie hi

Looks good. Did you stay up all night finishing it ?

Ken
Old 03-14-2007, 11:09 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

Originally Posted by bowtie hi View Post
Looks good. Did you stay up all night finishing it ?

Ken
thanks.
actually, yes. but that was saturday night. i was just bored and decided to put a pic up. it is still lacking one servo for the left aileron.
i was a bit quick and lazy on the design. i had never used colored tape before. i wanted to keep it somewhat replicated, but i have to put my red star on there. also, i left a lot of white on the underside.. hopefully to help me see orientation.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:31 AM
blueapplepaste

So did you get a chance to maiden it yet? I just ordered two of these. Should be here sometime this week. Hopefully they'll be as fun as they look.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:26 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

not yet. 20 mph winds

also... my motor/esc cuts off at 65% throttle...

so, i am trying to figure that out
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 AM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by icaboy View Post
not yet. 20 mph winds

also... my motor/esc cuts off at 65% throttle...

so, i am trying to figure that out
Double bummer. Hope you get it worked out and that the weather fairs better!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:24 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

me too!.. everytime i look at it i want to fly it so bad... but, i have learned ( with much glue ) patience is golden with these planes.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
blueapplepaste

How long did it take you to get her flight ready? And what was the weight all set?

I was thinking of covering mine instead of using CF for a little strength. Think this would work, or would be too much weight?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:54 AM
icaboy
groundstriker

it took me about a night and a half. mine weighs 19.5 ounces.

i am so not the ones to ask the technical question to. though, i would guess that as long as you beef up your motor/esc you can pretty much make it the weight you want (within reason)
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 AM
bowtie hi

When I was playing with nitro planes weight wasn't a big thing but electric likes lite. Unless your using a powerfull motor.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
midoco
slombat!

A few quick questions...
Is it EPS or EPP? Is the wing solid or hollow? What about the fuse? Is the airfoil flat bottom?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by midoco View Post
A few quick questions...
Is it EPS or EPP? Is the wing solid or hollow? What about the fuse? Is the airfoil flat bottom?

Thanks,
Mike
Mine will be here tomorrow (according to UPS anyways), so I'm not totally sure. I imagine that for only 20 bucks it's the cheaper foam. I'm hoping that the airfoil is semi-symetrical for a little better aerobatics, but we'll see.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
bowtie hi

I would imagine its the same as the Wasp. Beer cooler and will ailerion. The wings work fine on a Slow Stick boom & plastic.

Ken
Old 03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
blueapplepaste

They got here today. Pretty nice little kits for $20. Beer cooler foam for the wings and foam board for the fuselage. Oh, and it is a flot bottom airfoil. They look like they would be a pretty good 4-channel trainer; a possible alternative to the E-starter. Gonna work on it today and Saturday, hopeully I can sneak in a maiden on Sunday or sometime next week. I'll post pics when it's all done and provide some additional thoughts on the kit.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Anybody maiden one of these yet?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

I haven't started mine yet but I was wondering how this would fly w/o the aerilons. I'm thinking of building it for my saon as a trainer with just with rudder and elevator.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Well...any flight reports?

Gary I think if you was going to try rudder only the plane would need more dihedral to fly right. I have not ordered one yet but looking at the picture it looks like the wing is flat.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post

Gary I think if you was going to try rudder only the plane would need more dihedral to fly right. I have not ordered one yet but looking at the picture it looks like the wing is flat.
Good point. Yes, the wing builds flat, though it would not be that hard to add some dihedral to it. Still working on mine; almost done though. Hopefully weather will be good for a maiden this weekend.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post

Decided to train both of us on aerilons... some say it's easier to lern this way if you have a decent radio, which I have finally broken down and bought.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Twmaster

Well it's been a bit more than a month since I started this thread and I am finally getting around to assembly of this kit.

I wasn't expecting much for the paltry price of $19.35 but I am more than a bit pleased with the thing thus far. My only two gripes for now are the uneven edges of the foam panels that make up the fuse and tail feathers and man-oh-man I just remembered just how much I hate using tape as a covering.

I'm building this one by the manual. The next one (I have two) will be built -my- way.

I've sanded some of the edges of the fuse and such to neaten things up a bit. Otherwise it's stone stock.

I'll post more progress reports as I go along.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Well it's been a bit more than a month since I started this thread and I am finally getting around to assembly of this kit.

I wasn't expecting much for the paltry price of $19.35 but I am more than a bit pleased with the thing thus far. My only two gripes for now are the uneven edges of the foam panels that make up the fuse and tail feathers and man-oh-man I just remembered just how much I hate using tape as a covering.

I'm building this one by the manual. The next one (I have two) will be built -my- way.

I've sanded some of the edges of the fuse and such to neaten things up a bit. Otherwise it's stone stock.

I'll post more progress reports as I go along.
Yeah, they were a little (actually a lot) better than what I thought I'd get for $20. Only problem was that one of mine came with a severely warped wing panel; I've tried emailing them but haven't heard back. I'll probably just try calling.

But yeah, the uneven edges in the foam really did suck. I decided to cover mine and just skip the tape all together; because of the uneven edges I scrapped the foam tail feathers and made new ones out of balsa. Almost done; hopefully this week I'll be all finished. I'm going to fly this one and then based on how that goes I'll probably modify the 2nd one accordingly.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Twmaster

I've got the fuse and tail done. Looks awful IMHO. But, if it flies I'll be happy.

I'm about to install the servos in the fuse and then begin the wing.

I don't think this is all that great for $40 regular price. The GWS foamies are a better value IMHO. But at >$20 It'll do!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 AM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
I've got the fuse and tail done. Looks awful IMHO. But, if it flies I'll be happy.
Well it is a stick plane! When I changed the tail feathers to balsa and also changed the rudder shape and I think it looks a lot better without that goofy curvy rudder.

I don't think this is all that great for $40 regular price. The GWS foamies are a better value IMHO. But at >$20 It'll do!
Yeah, for $40 no way; but for $20 it looks like a great little plane to toss some extra equipment into.

Anyone else gotten to fly theirs yet?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM
blueapplepaste

Thought I'd post a pic of mine. Still need to attach the rudder and elevator and landing gear and then do a final install of the electrics. Hopefully I can have it wrapped up in an evening or two and maybe even sneak in a maiden this week.

Oh yeah, and I still have to install the decals I've made for the top of the wings...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	27988   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	27989  

Quick Reply: Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10484 seconds with 13 queries