Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Twmaster

Say that's not bad looking. Definitely can tell which side is up!

Finishing that should be a snap! I don't like the pushrods just being glued into the clevises with CA so I'll be getting some threaded rods at the LHS tomorrow. I figure there is about 3 hours work left on mine (including glue time)
Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Thought I'd post a pic of mine. Still need to attach the rudder and elevator and landing gear and then do a final install of the electrics. Hopefully I can have it wrapped up in an evening or two and maybe even sneak in a maiden this week.

Oh yeah, and I still have to install the decals I've made for the top of the wings...
What kind of paint did you use on the wings and fuse?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks good Matthew, looking forward to a flight report.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:51 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Say that's not bad looking. Definitely can tell which side is up!
Thanks. I always try to do mega visible schemes. I crashed a plane some years ago because I got disoriented and didn't know which was the top and bottom, ever since I do these type schemes.

Finishing that should be a snap! I don't like the pushrods just being glued into the clevises with CA so I'll be getting some threaded rods at the LHS tomorrow. I figure there is about 3 hours work left on mine (including glue time)
I thought the same thing so I roughed up the pushrods with some sand paper and then used epoxy to glue them together. I then used two pliars to try and pull them apart to test the bond and I broke the clevis; the joint held up just fine. So I think they'll be ok.

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
What kind of paint did you use on the wings and fuse?
Didn't use any paint, I used econokote to cover everything. I just used it on the minimum temp so that the covering would adhere. It actually had a tendency to warp the foam tail feathers because of the heat (but I made balsa ones for a smoother leading edge anyways), but the fuselage was just fine because it was bonded together and held its shape.

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Looks good Matthew, looking forward to a flight report.
Thanks. As soon as I maiden it I'll get a flight report posted.

(Oh, and I hope you don't think I"m hijacking your thread Twmaster)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:13 AM
Twmaster

Hijack away mister!

Did you do any surface preparation to the wing before putting the covering on? (As in sanding etc)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 AM
blueapplepaste

Hijack away mister!

Did you do any surface preparation to the wing before putting the covering on? (As in sanding etc)
I shaped the trailing edge where the ailerons attatch and the leading edge of the ailerons and that was it. I was planning on sanding the whole thing down to smooth it out , but decided against it. The foam sands so easily; even with a fine grit paper that I was afraid that it would be too easy to end up with an uneven surface. And with the covering it looks just fine. If you get very close you can sort of make out the surface shape of the foam, but it isn't bad and doesn't distract from the looks of the plane.

Oh, and not really sure if this counts as surface prep but I reinforced the center joint with strapping tape before covering. This isn't going to be a 3-D plane so between the tape and covering the wing strength should be ok.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Twmaster

Thanks for the info Matthew.

I have another of these in my kit room so maybe I'll cover it in some unique way with Ultracote!

I got a bit more done on mine tonight. I've got glue drying so it's hands off for now. I can't use CA anymore as I am sure I am allergic to it. Even the foam safe 'odorless' stuff makes me feel like I've got the flu the next day. Ick. So instead of CA I've reverted back to epoxy and Titebond or Super Phatic.

I hope to finish it this week but work may interfere with those plans.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Matthew,
Nice job on the covering. Does it add much to the strength of the plane or do you think the packing tape method would add more strength?

BTW - Nice looking corn snake! I have an albino and a snow corn myself. Easiest pet I've ever owned.

Twmaster, which Titebond are you using? I try to stay away from CA myself and usually use 5 min epoxy but was thinking of using the titebond wood glue.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
blueapplepaste

Yeah, CA does suck. I try to use it as little as possible and if I do I have the fan on, AC blowing, and window open. I haven't thought of using Titebond; that's a good idea.

As for covering, I think it added some strength to the wings. They had a little flex before but it's pretty much gone with the covering. I doubt it helped much with the fuselage; and as I said earlier i didn't use foam tail feathers so no comment there. I think that the tape would be just fine though. I just covered it because I had some rolls lying around and wanted something other than a red stick.

And thanks for the comment on my snake. He's an albino bloodred (fire); one of 17 I currently have. They are great pets. I actually breed them for a little extra money (more planes!).
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
And thanks for the comment on my snake. He's an albino bloodred (fire); one of 17 I currently have. They are great pets. I actually breed them for a little extra money (more planes!).
My wife thinks all snakes are Copper headed rattle moccasins. She says they may not hurt her but they will make her hurt herself.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Twmaster

The covering does add strength. Prolly about the same as tape does. Certainly better than leaving it nude.

I use the yellowish Titebond. I did some tests over the weekend and glued a couple pieces of scrap foam together. It held very well. In fact the foam broke not the glue joint.

As for snakes...

I know most are harmless. However they still give me the willies!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 AM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

The covering does add strength. Prolly about the same as tape does. Certainly better than leaving it nude.

I use the yellowish Titebond. I did some tests over the weekend and glued a couple pieces of scrap foam together. It held very well. In fact the foam broke not the glue joint.

As for snakes...

I know most are harmless. However they still give me the willies!
The yellow titebond is the one I use for my wood projects and have been thinking about using it for foam planes too but it does take a long time to setup. I was in Michaels Craft Store today and picked up a low temp glue gun for $1.99. I gave it a try on some scrap foam and was really impressed with it. It didn't melt the foam but had a really strong bond and would not seperate without breaking the foam. It would be good for those areas that you want to set quickly while you hold it in place.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by BatteriesIncluded View Post
The yellow titebond is the one I use for my wood projects and have been thinking about using it for foam planes too but it does take a long time to setup. I was in Michaels Craft Store today and picked up a low temp glue gun for $1.99. I gave it a try on some scrap foam and was really impressed with it. It didn't melt the foam but had a really strong bond and would not seperate without breaking the foam. It would be good for those areas that you want to set quickly while you hold it in place.
Just remember that hot glue adds more weight than most other glues.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Just remember that hot glue adds more weight than most other glues.
Yeah thats true but I wouldn't use it exclusively. Just on certain areas where I needed a quick set instead of taping or clamping. I've run into a few situations where the tape would not hold in place and clamps couldn't be used. This would allow me to apply the glue and hold the parts in place for 20 or 30 seconds while they bond.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Any flights?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
blueapplepaste

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Any flights?
Maiden is set for this weekend; was going to do it last weekend but it stormed like crazy and flooded everything. I'll have a report as soon as I'm back home from it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Twmaster

I'm hoping to fly mine this weekend also. Silly things like work have been getting in the way!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 AM
blueapplepaste

I'm hoping to fly mine this weekend also. Silly things like work have been getting in the way!
Eh, work. So overrated!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Twmaster

So, although none of us has flown their Simple Stick yet could you fellows who have completed (or are near completion) weigh your bird?

I'm trying to pick a power plant for mine as I am at the point of installing the motor. In all honesty the power plants suggested all seem to be too weak for a plane of this size and weight. I just chucked all of the bits for mine including the packaging for the motor and such up on the scale and weighed in at ~22 ounces. Going by 80W per pound for sport performance it would take 110W to fly this. This is at the maximum power output for an SK400XT which is ideally what I want to use to power this. I have some other more powerful motors but frankly I don't want to put a motor that cost more than all the other bits in the plane out front.

So, what does yours weigh?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Twmaster

Well I got a lot done tonight. Finished installing the servos in the fuse. Wound up having to swap out one of the TowerPro servos for another small one so I would have a matched pair of servos in the wing.

Also decided to give this a go with an SK400XT. So with that in mind I have finished all the soldering work. I needed to extend the battery lead on the ESC as it was too short. The more I work on this plane the more I'm liking it. I've also drilled the firewall for the X-mount supplied with the 400XT. I'll finish installing the motor/ESC tomorrow. I'll then begin the wing. I hope I don't goof up cutting out the ailerons.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:16 PM
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch

Well I got a lot done tonight. Finished installing the servos in the fuse. Wound up having to swap out one of the TowerPro servos for another small one so I would have a matched pair of servos in the wing.

Also decided to give this a go with an SK400XT. So with that in mind I have finished all the soldering work. I needed to extend the battery lead on the ESC as it was too short. The more I work on this plane the more I'm liking it. I've also drilled the firewall for the X-mount supplied with the 400XT. I'll finish installing the motor/ESC tomorrow. I'll then begin the wing. I hope I don't goof up cutting out the ailerons.

I was going to use a GWS 350 with D gear on this as sugested. I could also use a 400 that came with a GWS slow stick that I don't plan on using, would that be a better choice? I have a few choices for brushless but to tell you the truth I was hoping I'd just be able to slap on one of the brushed motors I have for now.
Could you post some pictures if you get a chance. Mine is still in the box because I'm currently working on a foamie seaplane and want to complete that first. This one is next on the list.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Good morning Folks,
Did any of the maiden flights that you had planned go off as scheduled? I'd like to hear about them....
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
blueapplepaste

So, what does yours weigh?
Mine's a porker, came in at 27 ozs. But I used covering and am using a 3s 2500 tanic pack that weighs a ton. I could easily shave a couple of ozs with a more appropriate batter pack, but this was an extra and I didn't want to spend $60 for a $20 plane.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:18 AM
Twmaster

Heh. I've been cheaping out too. I haven't had to buy a single thing specifically for it yet. Everything has come out of my spares closet. I've even used the cheapo screws that came with the kit to secure the motor to the firewall.

I figure the cost of all the parts I used (including airframe) is about $200.

I got a little more done tonight. Not much though. I've been goofing off/relaxing and doing some assembly. The motor is mounted and I'm ready to cut the ailerons out. I'm going to devise a removable battery plate as I have the ESC mounted to the bottom of the plate. I'm going to use Velcro© to hold the battery down.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. I expect it to be done tomorrow and flight ready on Sunday. (I hope)
Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Twmaster

Did you guys glue your wing halves together or just tape them so it could be disassembled?

I got the ailerons cut out. Boy did I goof that up. Darn poor vision (even with glasses) and too sharp tools!

I haven't decided if I want to glue the wings together or not. I need to make that decision real soon as I am going to finish the plane tomorrow. The wings will be a snap to assemble with the hardest part being the ugly packing tape covering.

Quick Reply: Simple Stick. Super Deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13750 seconds with 11 queries